Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got all of my stuff put on. When I'm in the 120 setting and dead stopped and punch it the tires grab and squawk and grab again in 2nd but when in 80 or in 120 and don't hammer it it feels like it labors from 0-30 or 40 until it shifts into 2nd. It doesn't throw me back in my seat. When I'm rolling 40-45 and punch it the truck launches and is awesome fast. I just expected more response out of the hole. I called Jody and he said it's the same tunes he has in his 03 excursion. Maybe my hopes were set a little high. The only thing I had to compare it to is my buddy's 6.0. As I read other guys posts and questions I wonder if my oil pump needs to be upagraded. I'm very happy with the top end and it gets there quick when I'm rolling just not what I expected throttle response wise Sorry this is long.

·
Registered
738 Posts
have you pulled the red line off of the wastegate? the 6.0 is faster especially if it had a programmer, so dont compare to that.

service engine light would come on if you didnt have enough oil pressure for the injectors.

dont punch it on the economy tune too much...

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Why shouldn't you punch it in the economy tune much. I hammer on mine all of the time. Am I hurting something I am not aware of?
-Aaron

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've only punched it from dead stop in the 120. No I haven't pulled the red line off. Is that where I read guys pulling that off and plugging it off similar to a wastegate actuator? My serviced light does come on but I thought it was because I don't have a boost fooler installed. That was going to be my next move.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
it seems like your talking about turbo lag. the turbo is the life of that motor and it takes some time to spool. unplug your map line, drive it down the road, and you will have all new respect for your turbo. my truck with some mods and my 200hp tune will break the tires loose intill 3rd.

·
Registered
549 Posts
what tune do you have that is 200hp? also why dont you want to punch it in economy?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I've only punched it from dead stop in the 120. No I haven't pulled the red line off. Is that where I read guys pulling that off and plugging it off similar to a wastegate actuator? My serviced light does come on but I thought it was because I don't have a boost fooler installed. That was going to be my next move.
forgive my ignorance, which one is the map line? And you can do that with the red wastegate line undone too right?

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Every tune but my 140 smoke tune is a dog off the line if I just punch it from a stop and flash the converter. The 140 tune hauls off the line, but with the wastegate actuator disconnected I quickly exceed the safe limits of my factory turbo if I hold it floored. If I even remotely ease into it to get the boost built up before I floor it 80 econo tune and up all move it pretty good. You will notice HPOP problems more at higher RPM's at WOT. Mine is even slower off the line since I put in an after market torque converter that is tighter than the factory one was.
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
forgive my ignorance, which one is the map line? And you can do that with the red wastegate line undone too right?
The "red" line is what controls the wastegate actuator. Disconnect it and it stays closed longer, building higher boost, also usually gets more boost sooner.

The MAP sensor line is where the "boost fooler" goes. All it does is bleed off any pressure in excess of a preset amount (Usually between 30-25psi). Some boost foolers do it electrically, but for the most part, the end result is the same. The computer doesn't know it is over what the factory deemed as a "safe boost level".

-Aaron

·
Registered
738 Posts
from what i've heard...that econo tune messes with the timing, get on it hard when its cold and risk windowing a block. i've yet to have the pleasure of throwing a rod, and really wouldnt mind if it never happens

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Ive never heard of not being able to get on it in the econo tune, I think thats a wives tale unless it came from Jody's mouth?? I might have missed something though, and as far as timing all of the tunes have adjusted timing. Mine takes off the line like a rocket as well in all my tunes. The throttle is almost too touchy. I also always let my truck warm up to temp before switching into any tune, makes me feel better

·
Registered
738 Posts
as long as its warmed up its fine, from what i've heard. its the getting on it when its cold that i heard can be a pain in the wallet

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i removed my red line on the actuator and when i put my ts in the turbo surged really bad when it needed the boost so i put it back on and it works great so i dont know

·
Registered
514 Posts
as long as its warmed up its fine, from what i've heard. its the getting on it when its cold that i heard can be a pain in the wallet
its hard on it whether or not you have your truck tuned...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
yea i plugged it back in for sure i have another idea with this whole thing but i will post up on how it works after i do it cause im not sure if it will work or not

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
With the actuator line disconnected on mine it only surges under high load at lower RPM's on the "hot" tunes. For instance...4th gear on the highway at about 3/4 throttle.

With the line disconnected it is making more boost than it can use basically and the rest comes back through the compressor in a cycle. I keep putting it off, but I want to try and get either the Banks or BD diesel wastegate actuator with the stronger spring and adjust it down so it can only open a bit, but I keep finding other things to spend the money on.
-Aaron

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well he isnt talking about upgradeing the wastegate he is just talking about the actuator and thats what i have heard that i need to fix the problem but i havent gotten around to it yet

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I was talking about the actuator as well, I worded mine wrong. I may be wrong bu I dont thin surging has anything to do with the wastegate or the actuator. It has to do with the turbine side of the housing. Its a .84 housing and can overspin itself. If you upgrade that to a 1.0 housing it will not allow the turbine to overspin, thus eliminating surge. Or a ported compressor housing can fix it as well but the culprit is from the exhaust side of the turbo.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts