Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Home & Community
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I attain greater power for towing with the following in mind:

1) Hydra chip and cold air in an otherwise stock 2001 7.3 F350 Crewcab 4x4 long bed
2) New factory rebuilt Ford Trans
3) Towing a 20' Hybrid camper about 6,000 lbs with gear.
* Don't need a race truck....would like to go up a 6% grade with relative ease?

·
Registered
76 Posts
4" exhaust, KC 63/73, and 160/0, 160/30, or 180/30 injectors, and gauges or CTS3.

Reactions: stratertele

·
Registered
428 Posts
How do I attain greater power for towing with the following in mind:

1) Hydra chip and cold air in an otherwise stock 2001 7.3 F350 Crewcab 4x4 long bed
2) New factory rebuilt Ford Trans
3) Towing a 20' Hybrid camper about 6,000 lbs with gear.
* Don't need a race truck....would like to go up a 6% grade with relative ease?
If you look at my signature I have the same truck as you.
I run a Hydra with stock tunes, CAI, 6.0 trans cooler, I just installed a 4" turbo back exhaust.
You will want/need monitoring for your systems and I love my Edge CTS2.

You can always spend $ for more power, but I tow a 12k lb 5th wheel and have no problems with my setup.
Eventually I will upgrade my turbo wheel

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Boost, EGT and trans temp gauges, leave the Hydra on stock you'll you get those, the get a 4" exhaust and a billet compressor wheel.

·
Home & Community
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run a Hydra with stock tunes, CAI, 6.0 trans cooler, I just installed a 4" turbo back exhaust.

You can always spend $ for more power, but I tow a 12k lb 5th wheel and have no problems with my setup.
Thanks, I do have the Edge computer and Hydra!
1) Which tune did you download that you use for towing?
2) When you hit a grade and put the trans in tow/haul mode what RPM do you run the engine at?
3) What is CAI?
4) Did you notice a difference with the 4" exhaust?

Appreciate any reply,
Gary

·
Home & Community
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Boost, EGT and trans temp gauges, leave the Hydra on stock you'll you get those, the get a 4" exhaust and a billet compressor wheel.
Thank you for the reply,
What difference did you notice with the Billet wheel?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thanks, I do have the Edge computer and Hydra!
1) Which tune did you download that you use for towing?
I stayed with the PHP recommended stock tunes for the different types of driving.....
For my 5th wheel I use the 40hp tow tune (10k-12.5k lbs) 40hp isnt huge, but there is a major difference in the trans shifting and torque converter lock-up

2) When you hit a grade and put the trans in tow/haul mode what RPM do you run the engine at?
When climbing and the overdrive kicks off, my speed is around 55-60 which puts my rpm's about 23-2400 and my truck just purrs and it leaves me room to speed up or slow down a little as needed depending on traffic.
3) What is CAI? Cold Air Intake
4) Did you notice a difference with the 4" exhaust?
Yes, it did lower my EGT's about 50-80 degrees and not any louder than stock

Appreciate any reply,
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts
Thank you for the reply,
What difference did you notice with the Billet wheel?
Quicker spooling and no turbo surge, I highly recommend a billet wheel if you have aftermarket tuning, turbo surge will kill your turbo pretty quickly.

·
Home & Community
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To oilcan101:

"For my 5th wheel I use the 40hp tow tune (10k-12.5k lbs) 40hp isnt huge, but there is a major difference in the trans shifting and torque converter lock-up"

This was of great help camping/towing this week!!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
To oilcan101:

"For my 5th wheel I use the 40hp tow tune (10k-12.5k lbs) 40hp isnt huge, but there is a major difference in the trans shifting and torque converter lock-up"

This was of great help camping/towing this week!!!
I’m really happy to be able to help someone else after all the help I have received on this forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Home & Community
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I bought/installed the following when I purchased the truck:
  1. CAI
  2. Hydra
  3. CTS2 and EGT probe
  • My TFT is running a high of 194 (what temps are you getting before and after the 6.0 cooler which I'm considering)?
  • How did the 4" exhaust change things for your rig?
TIA,
Gary

·
Registered
428 Posts
I bought/installed the following when I purchased the truck:
  1. CAI
  2. Hydra
  3. CTS2 and EGT probe
  • My TFT is running a high of 194 (what temps are you getting before and after the 6.0 cooler which I'm considering)?
  • How did the 4" exhaust change things for your rig?
TIA,
Gary

I live in AZ where it's a little warm in the summer and my trans temps were very high before installing the 6.0 cooler.

Before 6.0 cooler - in the summer, running up hill, pulling 5'er, trans temp= 200-220 deg (sometimes more)
After 6.0 cooler - under same conditions as above = 170-180 deg (sometimes 195 in stop & go traffic because TQ not locked)

The 4" exhaust only lowered my egt's 50-80 deg. I was hoping for more, but it's difficult to cool anything off when it's over 105 ambient temp

·
Registered
108 Posts
oilcan, do u know what your gearing is?

·
Premium Member
2,684 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
00t is correct.
And I have 3.73’s
If you’re cruising at 2k rpm and speed is about 71 you have 3.73 gears also.
The 4:10 will be about 2400 rpm at 70 mph.

This is from my personal experience driving both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
I think I had put that question out there before as to whether anyone had went from the 3.73 to the 4.10. I have always felt that with my set up and various trailers that I pull, that it would help my bottom end with this truck. Even coming up on boost a little quicker with the truck running a few hundred rpms more at highway speeds. I think once upon a time I did read some ones post that did this and he was very happy with the move.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think I had put that question out there before as to whether anyone had went from the 3.73 to the 4.10. I have always felt that with my set up and various trailers that I pull, that it would help my bottom end with this truck. Even coming up on boost a little quicker with the truck running a few hundred rpms more at highway speeds. I think once upon a time I did read some ones post that did this and he was very happy with the move.
I think Ford used the 4.10's in all the dually's because they were expected to be tow rigs. If you tow heavy a lot the 4.10 ratio will definitely get you off the line easier and keep you in the power band sweet spot more while on the freeway but you will sacrifice some top end cruising/economy when not towing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts