Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome hasn't held up too good and is slightly pealing away on the inside of the wheels. I plan on sandblasting and powder coating them... just the insides....

Does the chrome need to be removed in order to powder coat them correctly? Or is a light coat needed of blasting?

Will baking the wheels in 400+ degree temps jeopardize the strength of the wheels?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yes the chrome does need to come off. No the temps will not hurt the rims.

·
Registered
103 Posts
scuff them and just spray them black with bbq paint if black is what you're going for. Alot cheaper and holds up like a champ. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
13,237 Posts
BBQ paint???? that would look tacky, and i guarantee it will not hold up as well as powedercoat.. scrap the chrome, powdercoat, and be happy.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
BBQ paint???? that would look tacky, and i guarantee it will not hold up as well as powedercoat.. scrap the chrome, powdercoat, and be happy.
I agree with rob, There is no way in hell im putting bbq paint on a 40K truck.

Layson's truck is very nice, If I was in his shoes I would go with powder coating

·
Registered
103 Posts
Powder coating will chip too. 40k isn't the world, we've done this for customers with a few big dollar cars that liked how the matte black of the bbq paint lays smooth and is easy to touch up if anything ever happens(driver error, curbing the wheels) vs. re-powdercoating something. I have a Excursion and I did it on that and the wheels came out great, hell I bbq painted the trim because the gold/tan looked like crap when I wanted to do the white and black theme. Has held up fine with the weather and living down a dirt road and doing some mild off roading for the past 2 years.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
one of the most inprotant things in painting chrome is a scuff and a good self etching primer.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the great advice. I will let everyone know how they turn out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts