Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

powder coated grill

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  PRWSTRK_Dan 
#1 ·
a few weeks ago i had my emblems and lights blacked. when i got it back i was less than pleased with the apperance. the chrome grill against the black lights looked retarded. anyway i was told by someone powder coating would not stick to the chrome grill. i just talked to the guy at a powdercoating shop who told me he does it all the time and it works. anybody know or had it done.

#3 ·
If the grill is plastic it will most likely melt during the process.

But if the grill is metal just sand down the chrome and the powder will adhere to it quite well.

#4 ·
Just like big said the plastic will melt since they have to put the item in an oven at 350* to cure the powder.

#6 ·
he is full of crap too, it will melt. i used to do powdercoating and we never did any kind of plastic...... it bakes in an oven at temps as high as 500 F.

#8 ·
I would buy the FX4 grill and not waste the money trying to PC plastic...or paint your chrome grille...

I painted the chrome unit on my EX.

#21 ·
I painted the chrome unit on my EX.
How did you pint the grill I was th9inking about painting mine but I didnt know how well the paint would stick to the plastic.

#15 ·
Well paint is more of an option than baking a plastic grille....dood you cannot put plastic in the oven.

BTW not that it matters...but there was a white FX4 grille on Ebay last week sold for $100..would have been like $50 to get it painted.

#16 ·
i been lookin on ebay for 4 months and the week im out of town and away from a computer one shows up. im well aware that plastic will melt at high temp also. im also well aware that different plastics melt at different temp. what i was not aware of is how hot they bake it to cure it. as was mentioned before upwards of 500 degrees. so now i know. my thought on the matter now is continue looking on ebay or just break bread and buy a new one.

#17 ·
I've been looking "off and on" for a few months on eBay for an FX4 grille ...
I never find them either :dunno: This last week I've been thinking about
just getting the regular chrome grille now. Do you want to sell yours?
PM me if you decide to ...

#18 ·
I would paint and be different, If it is properly prepped you shouldn't have any problem with it flaking off! That painter must have been a :tard:

#19 ·
I bought the white grill off of ebay. I have a black one if ya want to buy it. There is also another black grill on ebay now. Mine is the XL textured black. The one on ebay is smooth/painted black? I really don't think stock grills are painted, they are cast/color. I'll give ya my black one for $100 plus shipping if ya want it? Just for this poster. By the way, just search "08 superduty".

Semper Fi:

Karl

#20 ·
yea i been waitin to bid on it. i pmd the seller to see if he would do a buy it now. i offered him 150 + his retarted 70 for shipping and he said he wanted 250. i am going to bid on it cause i don't think it will get that high. if it does i'll just buy a new one. there is a guy who had an xl on craigslist locally i looked into but i think id rather the fx4 style. i like the look better.
thanks for lookin out though.

#22 ·
:thumb:Very nice:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.