Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the other day running maybe 60-65; not flooring it. All of a sudden my truck stumbles a little and White smoke starts pouring out my exhaust i pull over truck, its running rough while idling. The white smoke is oil buring out my exhaust. I checked my coolant; not losing any no diesel or oil in it. Checked the degas bottle no over flowing no diesel in it. Im just straight losing oil out my exhaust. Truck has a tuner no DPF, EGR is blocked off. Truck is in the shop now. Any ideas what coul dbe going on here.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
one of the turbos let go, unfortunately if nothing is obvious upon visual inspection both will have to be replaced

are you sure the oil in the exhaust is not diesel fuel?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hoping its only my turbos. Any chance it could be something more serious because i did notice a little oil coming out the CCV into intake tube.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it wasnt my turbos i really wish it was though. I cracked two pistons, one of them completely in half. Have to get a new engine. hope some one out there doesnt have to mess with this its not cheap at all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd really like to know how you cracked pistons cruising. 6.4's aren't exactly known for having weak bottom ends.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Holy sheit, sorry man, I would also like to know.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it was something that was bound to happen eventually, talking with the shop my intake manifold had to have soot chiseled off of it. They compared my truck to a chevy with 300,000 miles on it and i had more build up than he did. Ive towed only a handful off times with the truck and most of the 20,000 miles i put on the truck was highway driving cruisng at 75mph. Bought the truck with 50,000 miles on it 5k later i put the tuner and dpf delete. Truck only has 71,000 miles on it. Talking to some guys on Powerstrokenation they have had the same problem on their trucks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Man...that sucks. Will your OEM powertrain warranty cover the engine replacement if you put the truck back to stock?

If your in the market for a engine then these people offer a re-man'd one:

J&K Engines
3125 North, Mount Juliet Rd.
Mount Juliet TN. 37122
615-553-4317 Office
615-553-4327 Fax

AND:

http://www.fixermotorsports.net/

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea i went with a Diesel Shop in Cheyenne called Hallers Diesel Repair. They are a legit shop, they are almost done with my truck. They are putting a re-built Jasper motor in there plus i had them put Wide open performnace wastegate w/ egr delete. But just an idea of how much it will cost you to fix these trucks. I had to take out a line of credit with my bank plus fork over some of my own cash. Total bill with motor and wastgate installed runs a little over 13k. So be more careful than me, made me sick to my stomach just hearing that number.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yea i went with a Diesel Shop in Cheyenne called Hallers Diesel Repair. They are a legit shop, they are almost done with my truck. They are putting a re-built Jasper motor in there plus i had them put Wide open performnace wastegate w/ egr delete. But just an idea of how much it will cost you to fix these trucks. I had to take out a line of credit with my bank plus fork over some of my own cash. Total bill with motor and wastgate installed runs a little over 13k. So be more careful than me, made me sick to my stomach just hearing that number.
God damn, well did they at least determine what caused the pistons to fail? I'm starting to think that the 2008's (job 1) are POS's....no offense.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They said it was likely due to the excessive intake soot and a combination of heavy fueling from my tuner. I dont wont want to call them pieces of **** but i didnt start reading about the horror stories until i bought the truck. I guess its hit or miss on these trucks to.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I've heard good things about Haller's so I would think they are being straight with you...might want to post on psn or psa in their 6.4 sections, I know a couple guys on psa have had piston failures.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
sometimes i worry about my truck giving me problems but i guess there is no way to know if they will or not.

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I think the 08s are just plagued w/problems, especially after reading your dilema.
I sure hope not :(. I want it to last a long time. I wonder if there is a way to clean all the soot out of the intake now that the egr is deleted? Its a PITA to take off the intake manifold to clean it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I sure hope not :(. I want it to last a long time. I wonder if there is a way to clean all the soot out of the intake now that the egr is deleted? Its a PITA to take off the intake manifold to clean it.
I sure hope not too for your sake, hell especially after a $13k repair bill. Didn't your repair shop clean the vital parts prior to engine assembly?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
I sure hope not too for your sake, hell especially after a $13k repair bill. Didn't your repair shop clean the vital parts prior to engine assembly?
Oh i am not the OP. I am not the one that had the pistons go bad thank God. The only problem i have had is a broken rocker knock on wood. :please:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Oh i am not the OP. I am not the one that had the pistons go bad thank God. The only problem i have had is a broken rocker knock on wood. :please:
My mistake, it was meant for the OP.

Did you by chance have your repair covered by the 100K Powertrain warranty?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts