Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've found what I think I want, and put a deposit down on it. I'm going to head out there this weekend to test drive it, and check it out, however, since this is my first Powerstroke, I'd like some input from the experts if possible... that's you guys :thumb:

I'm taking a Scanguage II with me on the test drive to check ECT and EOT Delta, I've already learned that much. Going to take a copy of the Ford Bulletin to back me if it is above 12 degrees, that it is a problem. Can't count that it has the latest flash to throw a wrench light itself.

Here's all the pictures I got sent to me of it:

Photo Album - Imgur

A few things I already noted:

It looks like it was broken into already, the driver's side lock looks a little deformed below it, as if it was popped, as well as the trim around the radio looks like a radio was pried out with a screwdriver.

The Tailgate has been repainted to 'factory new' according to the dealer since these pictures were taken, he didn't have any new pics since then.

The Passenger front quarter panel has 2 small bumps in it.. I wouldn't call them dents, because they're barely there.

The Tires are low and will need replacing soon.

Is there anything else that I'm missing that any of you see? I don't specifically know what to look for in the engine compartment pics, to see anything blatantly out of place.

What other things should I check when I take it for a test drive? Obviously I'm going to test every single thing I can think of, but anything specific that most people wouldn't think to check/test when checking one out, that needs to be checked, other than the above?

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
If you get there and the Engine is cold, enter in the following Xgauge codes for the FICM.

Nice to make sure it is correct.

Start with the FICM first, then go on from there.

FICM Vehicle Power (Volts) (Should be 12 Volts)(should not drop below 10.25 for more than 60 seconds, or 9.0 for 4 seconds. TSB 09-24-03)
TXD: 07E02209CE
RXF: 0462450906CE
RXD: 3010
MTH: 0064010000000
NAM: FVP

FICM Logic Power (Volts) (Should be 12 volts)
TXD: 07E02209CF
RXF: 0462450906CF
NAM: FLP

FICM Main Power (Volts) (Should be 47-48) (this does work! )
TXD: 07E02209D0
RXF: 0462450906D0
NAM: FMP

Might also want this one. It will count DTC's if there are any. "Soft codes" This will show if there are some codes about to show up.

DTC Count
TXD: 07E0220200
RXF: 046205020600
RXD: 3008
MTH: 000100010000
NAM: DTC

Read this:

buying used, what to look for? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks like it has a lift, so have that checked out for correct angles and that the installation is done properly

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that really helps a lot!

If anyone in the DFW Metroplex is interested, I'd be more than willing to meet someone who knows a lot more about these Trucks and Engines than I do, to go with me on the test drive. I'd pay you for your time, and take ya out to lunch for your trouble :) The Truck is located in Grand Prairie right now, and I'll probably be up there this Saturday.

I just _really_ don't want to get stuck with some problem that would be caught by someone who knows more about these trucks. The price on this thing quite good, so of course I'm a bit suspicious.

·
Registered
214 Posts
dont know if the deal is real sweet, but be sure to dicker as the tires will run almost $800 to replace, then an alignment unless that is part of the deal?

Check all electric switches for operation as earlier noted, but I mean seats, mirrors etc. Look for obvious splices to electrics. The scan gauge will need to be programmed for some reading you may want so have the codes handy. I think EOT is one for sure. Also check transmission temps if you can. go thru the 4x switching listen for noises make sure it engages/releases. Also look leaks drips anything not normal.

Also forgot to add, check the belts, serpentine, and any others, hoses, although a fairly late model if the dealer is supposed to have checked them they should be good, but once again dont take anything for granted.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I've taken the new tires into account as well, so that accounts for some of the good pricing.

I ordered the Scanguage from a place thats supposed to have it pre-programmed for this exact model, so hopefully it'll be ready to go. I'll see if I can test it on something local before I head up there to operate proper operation.

I'll be sure to check everything, especially for any sort of leaks. Any specific areas that are common for leaks to look at specifically?

·
Climb to Glory!
137 Posts
There is definitely some sort of extra equipment on the truck or at least there was. There are two extra power wires w/ fuse case hooked into the battery. Probably to an amp at one point?
The 'bump' in the passenger front quarter panel above the wheel well actually looks pretty noticeable, looks to be about 3-4"s tall. Same for the second on on the wheel well lip.
The front bumper looks like it might have run into something, maybe pulling to far forward in a parking spot, as the gap between the front fenders and bumper is slightly smaller on the driver side and the painted bumper trim has a wave effect going on.
Its missing a screw to hold both front wheel well linings in place.
The tailgate is off alignment. The passenger side is higher than the bed rail while the drivers side is even.
Could be nothing but the in the 1 pic of the wheel it looks like the brake rotor has a groove worn into it.
The cd tray is missing from the center console.
Part of the fan shroud is missing.
Missing a nut from the battery cable holder post next to radiator?

Thats all that I could see in the pics. Hoe that helps you out in some way.

·
Registered
314 Posts
First thing i noticed is the right rear tire looks more worn than the left rear, depending on if it has a posi or not it could be worn out and needing a rebuild. Second like IRNFST noticed is part of the fan shroud is missing on the passenger side. Most of the time people take them off to replace the belt so it may not be an issue. Just check out the bolts on the engine to see if its been into or not.

Obviously they cleaned under the hood and the degas bottle, but check the bottle over for white residue. Maybe take the cap off and check under the lip for possible head gasket issue.

Other than that truck looks good!

·
Climb to Glory!
137 Posts
First thing i noticed is the right rear tire looks more worn than the left rear, depending on if it has a posi or not it could be worn out and needing a rebuild.
Good catch, I didnt even notice that. It does look like the insides of the tires are more wore than the rest, but that can be fixed with a good alignment. Might be an indicator of bad balll joints or tierod ends though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts