Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I know this is an old thread, however just wanted to chime in. I am an aircraft mechanic for the Army, I have a 2006 F-250, 6.0, Studded, deleted (EGR/CAT), Iceman Air cleaner, 4" exhaust and tuned with factory injectors and Turbo. Monitoring with the Edge Juice w/attitude running SCT performance tunes. I use my truck as a daily driver and to pull a 32' bumper pull toy-hauler averaging 12-15k#. I recently did the head studs in my garage and before I did it the injectors were super noisy during initial glow plug warmup cycle. My first tank after reassembly I used #2 Diesel, Power Service Diesel fuel supplement, Power Service Diesel Kleen, Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer, Rotella T6 Synthetic and Rotella Ultra ELC Coolant with new oil/fuel filters and Oil Cooler. I get JP8 for $2.00 a gallon locally and run it in my truck now. First thing I noticed, after using JP8 in the second tank, is my injectors are super quiet during initial glow plug cycle and I can actually only really hear my fuel pump now and have to listen hard to hear the injectors cycling. The amazing thing is I went from 12 MPG before the project to 14 MPG on first tank. After running JP8 I am currently averaging 20 MPG on my daily 17 mile commute in moderate traffic with several stop/go's in between. My EGT's, EOT and ECT are right on the money with a perfect delta between EOT and ECT. I have not had the toy-hauler behind it yet while running JP8 and don't imagine I will have the luxury of using JP8 while on the road. I was getting 8 MPG fully loaded at 15k. I will update later if anyone cares to know how it turns out.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
Is the JP8 you are using have the normal three DOD additives like (SDA) static dissipating additive , Fuel System Icing Inhibitor (FSSI), and Corrosion inhibitor? Im surprised you are able to get it legally. JP8 is a DOD class fuel there was talk of removing FSSI because of the lack of need with todays needs, cost, and how terrible it was to be exposed too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure on the additives. It’s through a private individual that is in the aviation business that is/was needing to recoup their investment. It won’t be an endless supply as they have a limited quantity but with fuel over $3.00 gallon here it was a gamble that paid off. As well, with my truck non emissions legal I’m not too concerned.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
Def. check with him to verify the additive packages. Most bases add them manually from refineries but it depends on the contract. I am mostly curious to see how FSSI would react long term with the 6.0L Fuel system but it sounds like its working good for you. Keep this thread updated if you can i'll keep an eye on it. Our refueling equipment in the Air Force could run on it during emergencies but they ran MUCH BETTER with regular diesel so its def. interesting to see a benefit on your truck vs the reduced performance on our old Oshkosh and freightliner/international unit etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will. Now I’m curious. It’s civilian aviation JP8 and I never really asked about the fuel we use on the helicopters. I don’t use the military fuel as that would land me in some hot water, ethics, legalities and all. Do you know if Civ Air does the same as DOD in regards to additives? This fuel I’m using was purchased for a turboprop outfit that didn’t pan out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m just thankful my truck is finally running again. I kept blowing stand pipe o-rings, 5 in four months prior to studding. 2 I replaced on my own after the original non-upgraded ones failed, one was done at a shop after my truck broke down hauling my trailer and family on vacation, and the last and hopefully final set was after the breakdown on my way home from the same vacation. I used Dorman upgraded before I went OEM upgraded this time. The one the shop did, that failed, was supposedly OEM. The studs and gaskets was just because I want long term dependability. Since I had all the top end stuff off, rebuilding the turbo, icp fitting, oil cooler and EGR delete, it only seemed appropriate to do at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the fuel I am currently using is JetA without additives not JP8 which is military grade fuel which does contain anti-icing additives such as PRIST, so hope that clears up questions.

·
Premium Member
9,474 Posts
So the fuel I am currently using is JetA without additives not JP8 which is military grade fuel which does contain anti-icing additives such as PRIST, so hope that clears up questions.

JetA is basically the same thing as JP8 but without the three additives I mentioned. Its just silly they classify as JP8 when you have the three additives in it hahaha. PRIST is the civilian version of FSSI not 100% on the exact differences but you'll see PRIST at civillian fuel stations and FSSI at military but they are probably the same thing lol. Generally you wont see the additives required in Helos either its mostly all for air force aircraft because the high altitude stuff but that's being slowly phased out with technology etc.

Glad it is working for you. Keep us updated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts