Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*Updated Diagnostics*Possibly replacing injectors, what should I use?

So the truck has been running fine but started missing this morning, and then started losing power. I basically limped it to a shop that has done some work for me in the past. It did die a couple times, and even lost power to the point that I came to a complete stop pulling a slight grade on the way to the shop. I'm thinking maybe an injector issue, possibly FICM, or maybe even as simple as a clogged fuel filter (fingers crossed). I only had today off and am heading back into another stretch of work days so I've been trying to research and prepare myself for some "what if" scenarios so I can make a decision on what to do.

It looks like a lot of people are using the bullet proof FICM or the FICMrepair. I guess my biggest question is on injectors. The mechanic has told me in the past he usually does Ford replacement injectors and I think the cost on parts alone is about $2,000. Is this the best idea? I'm interested in making this thing as reliable as possible, are the Ford injectors the best or are some aftermarkets better? In researching I saw several guys recommending warren diesel injectors but the only website I found for them has very little information on there, with no pricing etc. Also it seems like everybody was getting the stock + injectors. I am a complete idiot on this topic so help me out. I don't have any intentions on doing a crazy motor build but would love a slight increase in power and mpg if I don't have to do any other major mods to the fuel system to be able to use the bigger injectors. If/when I ever have to do studs, I figure I'll do a fresh oil cooler (EGR cooler already deleted) and will get some programming for better towing performance, but no major motor work planned. Should this influence my injector decision?

Thanks for advance for any info or if you can direct me to some good reading

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I'd suggest a monitor first... if you had one you'd know if the FICM voltage was dropping out on you. If you were watching fuel pressure you could rule that out as well. Or maybe you do have a monitor without fuel psi and the logic side of the FICM is failing but that's pretty rare. I should ask first... Do you have a monitor? :)

As for injectors... I'm no expert, I've done some looking because I've had some sticktion and wanted to learn before I needed to learn. Warrens stock plus, last time I looked, were $750. But that was based on you sending a good set of injectors to be modded. If the ones you send need to be remanned or replaced the price goes up. As for stock size replacements you can get remans or new. Last time I looked I found new ones for around $220+core shipped in the US. If I remember correctly Alliant makes the Ford injectors, not 100% on that though.

I don't have links but there are a bunch of good injector threads in the Performance section and if you use the Google search bar right below the Powerstroke.org banner it'll give you results from the ORG. :thumb:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately I don't have any monitors right now. Seems like a lot of guys like the edge monitors, I think I'll look into getting one (assuming this issue doesn't break the bank lol). Thanks I'll use the google bar and look for some good reading from the performance section.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Warren injectors much cheaper, and more power than the stock ones if you get the 155/stock. Send your stock injectors to warren and have him modify them for 155/stock, and you will be out $775 or so, which is much less than $2000 for for new ford injectors.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any idea what the turnaround time is on the warren injectors is? Do you have to send your injectors in and then they will send you a set of remans or what? And can I use the stock/155 on an otherwise stock fuel system or do they need more pressure?

·
Registered
992 Posts
When I bought mine he had to rebuild my actual injectors... it was appox a week and a half before they were on their way back to me. I'm running stock fuel system and I have few problems running 155/stocks and they ran me about $600

·
Registered
228 Posts
When I was shopping for Ford OEM rebuilts (you can't buy Ford new injectors) there is company on Ebay selling 8 for 1500-1600 both there and on their company website and there is another place Lincoln that sells them for $1500.

Web Store - Lincoln Diesel Specialties

Both places say the Ford warranty is good for 12 months and 12K miles. My shop would only buy from his local dealership and I had to older motor which requires different part # injectors (although many use the newer one on older engines) so I paid a little more. It is written that with intake, exhaust and tuning (with strong HG) these engines put out 400-425 rwhp so unless you are looking for more than that I don't know what the advantage would come from bigger injectors unless you are going with a bigger turbo or you want more than that?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It looks like I have 2 injectors down, #1 and #3. I still hadn't decided really whether to just get the Ford replacements or try Warren. Any last advice on that would be appreciated, but even more importantly what else (if anything) should be done while changing these? Is there any other kind of updates that I should go ahead and do when these are replaced, as far as sparing some labor?? I'm thinking I should probably just go ahead and replace all 4 of the injectors on that side, but anything else?
Also, doesn't it seem strange that both of these went out all of a sudden and simultaneously? I just don't want to start throwing injectors in it if there's some other cause. I just had the buzz test completed back around December and all the injectors passed. Does it take a cylinder contribution test to be more accurate? I'm going to check the FICM again (was good in December), and get a fuel pressure gauge, anything else I should look for as an underlying cause? I got the blue spring kit and will go ahead and install that now as well. Thanks again for the advice

·
Registered
305 Posts
Subbed. I have been wondering about this as well. If a few injectors go out just pull them all and upgrade? If I upgrade to say stock/155's would I need to upgrade the turbo as well? I'm interested in watching this. Anyone have a link to install thread?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really??? Out of curiosity did you have a buzz test on the injectors or just replace the filters and the problem cleared? I'm just wondering if I should try that first even though 2 injectors failed the buzz test

1 - 14 of 14 Posts