Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am toying with the idea of pulling my motor this winter and upgrading some parts i am looking for a cam and valve springs, possibly pistons and rings , head studs, stage 2 injectors and ??? open to ideas let me know what you think i should also look at and or do if i pull it. my main problem is where can i find the parts like the cam, valve springs and pistons?? injectors will be rosewood and studs are easy to find if you know where i can get them or part numbers would be great also thanks for the help :thumb:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
all depends on what you want with the truck puller racer all around power or what.. also a budget

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
puller/sometimes dd and that is what i am trying to figure out i am on a limited budget and want the most power for my money it will be mostly a pull/street truck like i said but i want power budget i am not 100%sure on probably 2500 or less preferrably and i have a *17hpop to put in it already

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
If you are gunna do all that work, skip the stage 2s. Go with hybrids. If you dont want all the power they can always be detuned:thumb:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
puller/sometimes dd and that is what i am trying to figure out i am on a limited budget and want the most power for my money it will be mostly a pull/street truck like i said but i want power budget i am not 100%sure on probably 2500 or less preferrably and i have a *17hpop to put in it already
You are not gunna get far at all with $2500.

Cam, pistons, valve springs, rings, headstuds, injectors, turbo?, etc....um not for $2500.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking that but idk if i can afford a big turbo as of now if i build up the motor and i can always do that after the motor is back in when i can go with a big turbo

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the injectors are a seprate budget i have the money set aside for them:thumb: i am just talkin the hard parts that i will need to do while the motor is out if i can do it with it in then as money allows i will

·
Registered
392 Posts
ehh your not gonna get far building an engine for 2500 bucks. hell you'll have 1100 in the rebuild kit alone, valve springs are 150-200, cam 500-600, studs 600-700, machine shop costs $$$$. plan a bare minimum of 5 grand for a mild performance rebuild and 10-12k if you go all out like mine.

talk to these guys for parts, they did my engine work.
Powerstroke Nation - View Profile: UNLIMITED_DIESEL
Powerstroke Nation - View Profile: HotRodTractor

·
Registered
10 Posts
ya take a look at elite diesel they have all the internal upgrades ur looking for and prices... good luck man and open up the wallet the list u gave is more around 10,000 plus :thumb:

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
should i worry about the pistons? or should i just do a cam and valve springs?

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just looked at elite and they dont sell the springs or the cam does anyone know where to find them at or if they even make a cam for the obs

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
best bang for buck is Comp Cams 910 springs ~$85.00
ARP studs can be had for ~550.00. just shop around, including fleabay
Cams are hard to find, and usually in the 600-800 range.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks alberta now we are takin my prices

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
yea ebay has the comp springs and studs thats where i got mine jus haven installed yet. your bottom end should be pretty stout just depends on how it looks when you take her apart. if it was me and i was doing all that work to pull the engine id go all out

·
Registered
392 Posts
ya take a look at elite diesel they have all the internal upgrades ur looking for and prices... good luck man and open up the wallet the list u gave is more around 10,000 plus :thumb:
elite diesel might not be a bad shop, but i wouldnt deal with them since pretty well all they do is 6.0 and 6.4 stuff. the 2 guys i mentioned only deal with 7.3's. If you building a decent engine why deal with people who dont specialize in what your building? Not to mention their stuff is $$$$ Your a little high price wise on a stock rod bottom end. I did my first build for right around 6k with billet rods, but there was no headwork, no girdle and no block fill, etc... pretty much billet rods, pushrods, v springs and main studs.

should i worry about the pistons? or should i just do a cam and valve springs?
i would just go back with mahle pistons, they come in the oem rebuild kit so you should be fine there. if your on a pretty tight budget i wouldnt mess with a cam, they do help but its not a huge power adder by any means. I have one in my twinned rig, it helped with turbo spool up and maybe egt's a bit. Not sure if it really added any power because i made so many other changes at the same time. You should definatly add comp 910 valve springs, they are cheap and seem to work well in low to med hp builds.

edit- i got my cam from diesel innovations, just give them a call for pricing. last i knew they were not listed on the website.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok thanks 4 fingers i will probably just rebuild with an oem rebuild kit and do the springs and injectors and studs then and put the money from the cam into big fuel lol

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bump about the rebuild kit

·
Registered
392 Posts
it should work, however you might make sure there are cam bearings in the kit. Im sure there is but he didnt have that listed. btw thats a pretty decent price, iirc i paid 1000-1100 for my kit BUT i bought it from a PSN site sponser.

·
shaking things up
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok thanks i thought it would fit but wasn't sure

1 - 20 of 29 Posts