Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys this is my first post on here. Last night I was heading home going up a pretty steep hill when the truck just started to lay over on me. The gas pedal became unresponsive and the truck would slowly power down until it shut off. I stopped turned the key off and tried to start it and it fired right back up and drove with all my normal power, but about twenty miles later it does the same thing. I believe it is the IDM but I'm not positive what do y'all think? Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,529 Posts
scann for codes? have AE type software? start there...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had my mechanic run his AE scanner on it and it pulls no codes or any stored. Without it throwing a code this just seems strange to me. Could it be a short in the wiring harness?

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
An IDM issue should certainly set a code.

Here's what doesn't though (and I'd look at if I were you) Fuel Delivery. You run your tank Dry and no code gets set ;)

So, change the filter if you aren't sure last time it was done. Take note of the Fuel Gauge next time it happens, if it's around 1/4 tank (and doesn't ever do it above that) I'd suspect the pick-up has cracked. If you can, when it craps-out next time turn the key to Off right away and open the drain valve on the Fuel Bowl to see if there's very little Fuel in there. You could also leave the key ON and jump down quickly to listen for the pump running (it could be on the way out).

Generally, keep an eye on the fuel system for something wrong...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I was headed from Dallas to Stephenville when this happened and I had just replaced my fuel filter on Saturday, and filled up with go go juice before I left. When it happened I had 7/8ths of a tank of fuel so I was sure the new filter was sucking air so I immediately checked that and nada. It is sealed up good all the way around. I've inspected all the fuel lines, O-rings, and anything I thought of that could be fuel related. Unless its inside the tank...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts