Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing long crank times on my 6.0 but only when parked up hill. Temperature doesn't make any difference. I noticed when up hill ICP takes a while to build but when parked down hill it doesn't.

Here is a short video of each. Both were the first crank of the day even though oil temp is 90ish. It is just that hot out here lately.

Cranking of 6.0L Powerstroke possible HPO leak? - YouTube

Has anyone seen this before? Just looking to narrow down where to look. I am leaning toward a bad o-ring on one of the stand pipes letting it drain down or the STC fitting starting to go out.

Thanks

Dik

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
It's probably because with your truck facing uphill your oil runs to the back of the pan away from the oil pump pick up. And when it's facing down hill the oil pump pick up is completely submerged. Did you check to see if your oil is low?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya the oil i fine.

Dik

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess my question is, is it normal or do I have a bigger problem starting to grow? Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

I thought there were check valves in the stand pipes to prevent the oil from draining out of the rail.

It runs fine once it cranks and WOT puts out ~3000# according to my CTS.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
mine works the exact opposite mine takes forever to start on level or pointing down hill but when pointing up hill it starts instantly.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Tracking this thread as I may be having the same type of issue. I am working on figuring it out and will share any info that might be helpful.

·
Premium Member
905 Posts
Having the same problem and have been chasing it for a couple of months now. Until this I thought it was a 03 early 04 issue, with only being able to read the voltage on my CTS which is good, you guys may be able to help me out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's most likely the incline causing your problem.
I highly doubt that... i haven't experienced this until 2 days ago. my dad borrowed my truck and when parked on a flat street he told me it wasn't starting. long cranks and it started when he got on the gas.. so i went to pick it up from his house and the truck was parked down hill and it was somewhat warm already. i cranked and wallah it started right away.. drove to wallmart to buy some oil and filter since i'm already due for a oil change which by the way oil level is fine. i always run Rotella T 5-40w (best oil in my opinion) anyways it didn't want to start.. and the "check gauge" came on once it started and while driving too.. it would drop all the way down "oil pressure" i hear its a dummy gauge it doesn't really tell you if it low or high.. plus adding to the fact that im getting some injector codes i'm assuming the IPR or HPOP is going out. and yes i have checked the FICM. plus the truck is a little slugish sometimes even when warm. when its cold it got no power.. sucks.

if i can't get a hold of a snap on scanner tool i will have to take it to the stealer just to find out what it is for sure..

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
When I hooked an AE to mine I got a #2 injector code. I was getting that code before, but after I installed a BPD FICM everything got better. My truck has started sputtering while driving latly and then about a week after it started doing that it began having starting issues like it used to with my old FICM. I have an 03 6.0 at work that has at least two injectors going out and my starting issues are diiferent than it's, which makes me think I have a different issue than just one bad injector. I already checked my FICM and it's just fine, which I highly doubted it be bad since it made by BPD. I am going to hook up the AE again to check some other things. I am still learning the ins and outs of the AE, so I just need to figure out what all to look at.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Op what filters do you have installed in your truck?
Motorcraft for all 3. It did it on the old Dino oil as well as the Mobile1 I currently run. I have been trying to find this since I bought it a little over a year ago. I just now noticed the correlation to truck attitude and ICP while cranking.

As I said once it cranks it runs like a top, no sputtering plenty of power. It smokes a bit on hard throttle but I think that is my saturated boots since I am only boosting 22# with SRL until 3rd then it only gets to 26#

Dik

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mine did this 2 years ago. After 3 trips to the dealer with no results it had to be towed in. They found a bad stc fitting and # 3 and 5 injectors with bad o rings. I was glad it was all warrenty work because I would be in the poor house from all the wasted trips to the shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts