Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can help me figure this out. I've got an 06 F350 6.0l and about 2 weeks ago while driving uphill at around 65mph, there was a sudden hissing sound and it sounded like a tire got punctured. It wasn't my tire. Every time I'm building boost, it makes a hissing sound like an air leak and I can hear it from around the bottom of the steering wheel at the firewall area. I've checked the cac tubes and the exhaust flex joints and don't see any black soot. I can't just let it idle and try to find the leak since it only happens under boost. FYI - there are no MIL codes. I appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
You can make an air tester out of a 4 inch Fernco coupler and a pvc plug, from the hardware store
connect to the turbo inlet and pressurize with regulated air to about 20 psi

You can also rig up your shop vac to blow the same way
and use it to blow on the exhaust or intake

That way you do not need the engine running to find the leak

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can make an air tester out of a 4 inch Fernco coupler and a pvc plug, from the hardware store
connect to the turbo inlet and pressurize with regulated air to about 20 psi

You can also rig up your shop vac to blow the same way
and use it to blow on the exhaust or intake

That way you do not need the engine running to find the leak
Good idea thanks I'll give that a try. So if my problem only occurs during boost, I should only blow the air on the intake side of the turbo? (I guess it could be happening all the time and maybe I just only hear it under boost)

·
Premium Member
3,480 Posts
You can blow on both sides to check for leaks, take the oil fill cap off since some air will trap in the crankcase
if you use a vacuum cleaner dont run it a long time, the air passing thru the motor is how it cools and hooking to your engine will restrict the air flow quite a bit

1 - 4 of 4 Posts