Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, my 94 PSD has been having intermittent stalling issues. It stalled once turning into a parking lot, but it caught and idled backup before stalling completely. When this happened, the truck was running normally, but the wait to start light was on. A few hours later, I was driving about 30 mph when it stalled, in gear. The tach was still showing RPMs. After stopping on the side, the motor very reluctantly restarted, after a longer than normal cranking time. When it was running, the CEL remained on. About a half mile later, the CEL was still on, and as I shifted to 4th and began to accelerate at around 1000 RPMS, it stalled again. I stopped, and rolled it backward into a parking lot. I turned off the ignition, and restarted it. The wait to start light would flicker off, and the CEL would come off, then the WTS light came back on. This repeated about 3 times, but the engine started readily when I cranked it with a big puff of white smoke. I drove an additional mile or so with no problems. Does this indicate a CPS failure? I never noted an issue with the tach.

·
Registered
840 Posts
i think almost anything on these trucks can be a CPS failure, i was always under the impression that if the thing acts up in any way, change it out with one you know is good and see if that fixes the problem. so if you have a spare, throw it on

·
Registered
840 Posts
yeah throw that on and see what happens, itll take ya 10 minutes

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it swapped. It fired right up, and died after it had run about 30 seconds.I checked the fuel bowl and the HPOP reservoir, both were full. I pulled the ICP sensor plug. Started up just fine, and ran about 3 minutes before it stalled. I was still noting the flickering WTS and CEL, so I picked up relays to replace the PCM and IDM relays. It started up normally, and has been running about ten minutes so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts