Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! First post, but probably not the last. ;-) I'll TRY to be brief.

2004 f-250 4x4 6.0 Auto /Studded heads/Livewire TS

I just bought the truck...actually, I've signed my part of the papers but my wife signs her part in a handful of hours as of this post.

1. When I brought the truck home for an overnight evaluation I noticed the WIF light. Not sure if it was on the whole time (don't think so), but the dealer put fuel in it right before I drove it home. Ran perfectly fine for a couple of days with the WIF light on.
2. I noticed that maybe every second or third start...the starter would turn for maybe a half second or so, then disengage and stop. Try again and it would turn over till engine start. Seemed to maybe take a half a beat longer to start than I'm used to...but this is my first diesel..I figured normal startup for a 6.0 diesel compared to a gas burner.

Now the problem(s). Like I said, my wife completes the purchase tomorrow morning.
Drove the truck home from work. Uneventful trip. Parked in the driveway, but parked on an inclined portion. Inclined enough that at 3/4 tank it registered as full. (I'm assuming the float, or whatever they use nowadays is in the rear of the tank.) The truck sat here for a few hours...
Now (a few hours later), I get in to make a quick trip. Start the truck. It starts normally. I MAY have had to try twice to get it started. The starter may have "kicked out"...I wasn't paying attention really. It sat idling for a couple of minutes, maybe a few, while I dicked with the radio. When I put it into reverse, the engine started running very rough and died. I checked all of the gauges and all looked good. I don't have fuel pressure gauge though.
Tried to restart, and now the starter seems to have really **** the bed. Time after time it "short" starts (tries for half a second then the started "kicks out"). After SEVERAL attempts, the starter finally puts out for long enough to start the engine. Runs fine until I start down the driveway (now on a decline) and it dies again! Now the start process all over again! After several short attempts it finally gives a "full" attempt and the engine starts. I cancel my trip (obviously) and park on a level portion of the drive. NOW I figure out exactly where to drain the water from the separator. I drain SEVERAL times, but the WIF light is still on. It still has a very difficult time spinning the starter long enough to start the motor. Maybe 6 or 8 "short" starts to finally get a "full" start. Seems to be getting worse as well. ALSO...the fuel gauge was stuck at full until I let the truck run for several minutes after one of it's successful start ups. Now it reads the 3/4 that it should. It went down slowly.
What I suspect:
Obviously has water in fuel tank. Parked on incline, (I bet the fuel pickup is in the back of the tank) and it picked up a more concentrated level of water in the fuel causing the rough idle and engine stall.
Secondary issue compounding the situation is a starter that is crapping/crapped out.

Question(s): Does this sound like a reasonable assessment? New starter (6.4) and get the water out of the system?

Thanks again everyone. I look forward to participating here assuming my wife doesn't refuse to sign her part and cause a scene. I'm hoping that we can get the dealer to fix these issues even though they weren't articulated in our "deal".

Thanks again.

·
U.S. Army 68 - 71
236 Posts
Did you have a reliable DIESEL mechanic look over the truck before you started the buying process? Or have the dealership repair the punch list before signing papers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did. To an extent anyway. Local mechanic looked at it and said it looked good (after DOGGING the 6.0 of course) but he didn't put it up on a rack or anything. And at this point of the process everything was running and acting fine except for the WIF light and the A/C. I did articulate that they had to get the a/c fixed, which they have, but I guess I discounted the WIF as just something that you had to deal with via the separator occasionally and didn't raise a stink about that. I'm just wondering if what I have described sounds like fairly "routine" issues that just happen to coincide at the same time or if there may be something more sinister.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
For the WIF light maybe drain the plug on the HFCM to get the water out, which you've done already. I've read some using an additive HEET. If that doesn't fix it then take a look at cleaning the HFCM, but doing that wrong can ruin it ($500). If still not working, drain the fuel. The HFCM isn't really serviceable, so maybe switch that.

The starter is rather easy to fix, but at a parts store it's around $180 and at a Ford shop for OEM close to $400. Done over again, I'd get the 6.4 starter. My starter died 300 miles from home in a hotel parking lot. I was reasonably sure it was the starter when it would not start, I tapped the starter with a hammer, and it started.

When I had the original tank in the truck, the needle moved slowly back to the original position if parked on an incline.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
Replaced the starter. Starts right up now! The dealer is supposed to fix the WIF issue in addition to the A/C issue tomorrow. I suspect the HFCM may be "dirty", but we'll see what the dealer says. ;-)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts