Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 7.3l PS 2wd, Service/Mechanic truck

Been having a problem with stalling, did the normal things to correct it, replace sensors etc, but still had the problem. Noticed it seemed to only be stalling in the rain. Something getting wet? Nope. Ends up the problem with my truck is linked to the delay on the windshield wipers. I have tested this several times now, if the wipers are on (high) or (low) then never stalls. Turn them to -any- "delay" setting if its raining or not and the truck will sometimes stall when the wipers trigger. Haven't had a chance yet to look into it further but if you truck is only stalling in the rain/wipers on, this may be your problem.

Maybe a know problem,if so sorry for the spam, but in all my reading here looking for the answer to the stalling I never noticed a post about it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am having the exact same issue. Any progress made towards a diagnosis and cure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had simaler problems with my 01 f450 7.3 when a/c is on and i come to a stop it will die on me.No luck figuring it out thou.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess they use strange ways to wire things, I had a 1990 f250 and the cruise would switch off when i touched the turn signal, turns out they wire it through that turn signal switch, so anything is possible, new switch and problem gone. maybe you could try a different switch and see it it still does it.
just a thought

·
Registered
164 Posts
update for mine:

Ended up being the CPS...LOL I know, crazy right?!?!

This was a "new" post recall cps. It would die with the wipers going but only on delay. I tested the wipers in the driveway, let them run on a dry windshield, and the truck would die randomly (5 wipes, 12 wipes, 2 wipes, 22 wipes...etc etc etc.). I chased every wire, pulled GEM and fuse box under dash and found nothing. Tore the console apart and tested/ checked everything. I even took it to a dealer and watched the tech scratch his head for 2 hrs until he finally asked me to duplicate the issue. When I did his reaction was priceless.....but he offered no solution.

I purchased a new pigtail for the CPS, a new CPS and went home and fixed it one more time....Turns out, there was enough of an electrical draw on the CPS when the wipers turned on with the delay setting that the signal would drop out and cause the stall.

My issue had nothing to do with the rain, just the wipers and a faulty cps from the most recent recall....lol...i guess they might get it right eventually...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts