Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having my studs done in mid-June along with ITP's RR kit and was wondering about buying a used 2003 intake manifold and having it ported. What do some of you big power guys think about this? Would there be much of a gain in doing this? I'm sure there is a benefit but I'm only interested in a power benefit. Also, if I did go through with it how much could I expect to pay to have them ported? Any ideas on that. Thanks for any input and opinions guys.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Heres a bump for you. Even tho im a 7.3 guy, kinda interseted about hearing about porting.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. I also found some right and left exhaust manfolds for 50 bucks. same questions apply to those. If I did the exhaust manifolds alone and had them ported would it be worth it? opinions, input, and facts appreciated.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
What does porting these actually do? just allow more airflow?

50 bones sounds like a steal!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe that's all it does is allow more airflow. 50 bucks is a deal I just don't wanna buy them and it cost 200 or 300 bucks to port. I'll call some places on monday and get prices. I can pay up to 150 to have them ported.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Ok, so its just widening all of the tubing? or what is the actual process of porting the intake/exhaust components.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
not sure of the process, I'll know when the biz's open back up on monday.

·
Premium Member
5,837 Posts
theres a company in so cal called extrudehone...way way better than a port and polish job. Not to expensive either from what I hear. I know its great in Gassers, don't know if same applies in a Diesel though.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
David with the exhaust manifolds I think you would be better off having them extrude honed. I know theres big power in having that done..maybe not huge but more flow for sure. My friend did this to his exhaust manifold and since it was cast he wasnt worried about it breaking..WAY more flow too. I would even be interested in doing something like that..probably would make the turbo spool up faster too. You gotta call Jim bower at Extrude hone..hes the man to talk to 724-978-7211

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pennsylvania is sooo far away. I've never heard of extrude honed. what is the different between that and porting?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
its an abarsive clay stuff..its kind of like porting, in a way. it basically cleans the manifolds, intake ports, whatever you are doing. smooths it all out so your flow is greater..like burrs and casting left over from factory stuff will get wipped out and left with a clean, smooth surface. difference, no port will ever equal an extrude hone IMO. hang porting has its limitations ya know..the paste that extrude hone uses goes all through out the manifold smoothing everything out. totally equal. Its gonna set you back a few dollars..if I were you though id save that money and use it for when you take your road trip to come and visit me and nate! :nate:

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
bahah...NO! If extrude hone is 'better' why does elite port n' polish?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
because they want your money..like i said call Jim bower..owns a PSD himself..sled puller..really cool guy..knows his stuff when it comes to diesels and making power..ive been talking to him all week about doing my injectors..shhhhh!

·
Sparkplugs Not Required
405 Posts
Extrude honing forces the extrusion material through the openings (it's basically like a Playdoh spaghetti machine) to make them larger which is good, but actually porting and polishing matches all of the components together, i.e. porting the intake manifold to match the actual intake openings on the head and same for the exhaust. The idea here is efficiency and increase in airflow due to smooth transitions. I'm sure that there is a benefit here, same as with a gasser, but I don't know if it is on the same order of magnitude as a gasser, because for any racing application this is a must have to get good power. However, I am thinking that you will have at least several hundred dollars tied up in getting this done. It's very labor intensive.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for chiming in cat797.

·
Sparkplugs Not Required
405 Posts
Anything I can do for fellow .org members at 3:00 in the AM :tard:

I've been battling a serious case of jet lag all week....got back from 2 weeks in Australia Tuesday night and sleep is running short.:thumb:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Would it be more benificial to get the cast manifolds ported or honed the get a set of header? I know the cast manifolds are stronger. Would the heat warp the headers?:dunno:

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was told over on compd by bogginf350(josh) who builds spartan's injectors that plain and simply is a "waste of money". Another guy that is rebuilding his entire motor advised to wait for actual aftermarket headers to come out. When that day comes that I go big power and have big money I'll look into porting the intake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
theres a company in so cal called extrudehone...way way better than a port and polish job. Not to expensive either from what I hear. I know its great in Gassers, don't know if same applies in a Diesel though.
Extrude Hone is great i have used it on my old car. Port n Polish is good but you can do it yourself cheaper. I had a Port n polished intake on my b18 i ran about 193hp and 163tq then i heard about extrude hone i went 9+ hp and 4+tq.

Port n polish is good allows more exhaust to flow out causeing less egts but leaves the sides not as smooth as extrude hone. So if you want to get both done its wortht he money but extrude hone will take forever to bore out like port n polish does. im currently thinking of making a custom headers for twin turbo application if it can be done. if not im going to buy a new set of headers and t pipe port n polish them extrude hone and coat them. hopefully this insights you

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for your input. I've given up on the idea of a ported intake. I'm now looking into porting both headers. Do you know if you can port and polish and then extrude hone after??

1 - 20 of 30 Posts