Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do I never hear of people doing this to diesel?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
its been done, but its very expensive and the intake manifold needs to be port matched aswell.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
and I have read that it doesnt really benefit anything unless you are REALLY building up your motor

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
had mine done, and manifold........... figured while it was torn down go for it....... since I put a stage I cam and valvetrain and chromoley rods..... running pretty good for my set up..... couldn't hurt but like mentioned, could be pricey. I see trucks running 500+hp with out it being done...so you decide.....

·
Registered
601 Posts
Bump.... was thinking about doing this myself...??

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
In most boosted applications unless you are trying to scratch every last horsepower out of it it just isn't worth it. It's much easier and cheaper just to run a couple more pounds of boost.

·
Lt. Negativity
1,739 Posts
10hp for 3k what a waste.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ok thanks guys so not even worth the hours of labor to do then?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ok thanks guys so not even worth the hours of labor to do then?
I don't know anyone that sells p&p'd heads other than Elite, and if you need new heads the difference is insignifigant. I had mine done by a friend, but off the street average Joe would pay around $300 for the p&p(mild), from any reputable machine shop. What do you get? I got 10-15hp and a wee bit off my 1/4 mile times. Airflow is the weak point on the 6.0, so if you have the coin it might be worth it due to reducing backpressure. My truck dynoed all over the place 500-560, and consistently clicked off 13.0 on 35's with 3.73's, which equals around 537hp. Here is a graph pre modded heads with a leaking boot for your reference. I know that Rescue claims 550+, but does not post up his dyno graphs, so take his "advice" lightly. The 6.0 is a tough motor to mod and expect reliability, and I had three of them and tried, but switched to a 6.4 and could not be happier, 600 reliable hp with bolt on's sure beats fixing a tempermental 540hp 6.0 once a year.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
I understand but I happend to have a spare 6.0 and not a 6.4.. did you put a cam in it as well and what injectors and turbo were u running?

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
If you have the time and experience to do it yourself, I would go for it. But if your gonna pay a shop to do it, it wont be worth it. As Mitch (PGreenSVT) said, in diesel you dont notice nearly the gains that a gasser would unless your in the big hp numbers. Im going to do it with my Cummins swap but thats because the head will already be off and I will do it myself.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
if you have all the free time go for it. It will be worth it then. But is it worth 3-4k no not at all. But then again 1k for stainless headers isnt really worth it. But if you dont have any other mods to do go for it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
alrighty guys thanks for all the info. On elites site is says that 205cc injectors are the highest you would want to go on a factory hpop is this the case? What kinda power you guys laying down with 205s?

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
alrighty guys thanks for all the info. On elites site is says that 205cc injectors are the highest you would want to go on a factory hpop is this the case? What kinda power you guys laying down with 205s?
205's with proper air and supporting mods should push around 600 on fuel. Depends on having the rest of the setup dialed in too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
One thing no one mentioned is that with p&p heads is that you need less boost to make the same power. Most people think they'll just turn up the boost to make more power, thats just fine if the rest of your motor can handle the added boost.

·
Registered
601 Posts
good point same or less boost but more cfm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts