Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im guessing a 1500#(dry weight) popup truck camper for my shortbed would be no prob? Anyone have some tips I need to know about?

thanx Tim

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
yeah why a pop up? for about the same money you can get a nice travel trailer and not have to worry about crankin it up and down and storing crap away to make it fit. also the canvas doesnt hold up that great on them. i have a toy hauler and love it. had a pop up when i was a kid an it always had that nasty mildew smell, leaked when it rained, and was cold at night. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'd go with a travel trailer

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
2008 PALOMINO B1251 for sale in Morrison, WI - RVTraderOnline.com

This is the type here. The reason it allows us to go "deep" into remote areas(primitive roads) and the option for towing a fishing boat to other places. Its just me and the wife. I figure this thing would not even phase a PSD and I bet it would get 15 mpg(we did towing a 2900# mustang on a 16 ft car hauler). Thanks for the comments...keep them coming.

:icon_ford:
Tim

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Palomino 1200 and love it. Hardly know it is on the truck. I have it on an 8 foot box but I carried a similar camper years ago on a 6' and it was no problem. I'm on my 3rd slide in in 20+ years and the biggest tip I can give off the top of my head is go for a frame mount system to tie it down. Clamping the camper down tight makes it feel like it is part of the truck.

What kind of tips do you need.

Jeb

·
Registered
27 Posts
I used to have a pop-up camper for my f-150, we really enjoyed it for going deep woods camping. We had our pop-up for 13 years and enjoyed it ALOT. Then we got a travel trailer, then I needed a diesel to haul it. Got a diesel, got rid of the pop-up. We took that pop-up places I would never think of taking our travel trailer. We still have a t.t. but I have been thinking of getting another pop-up for quick weekend getaways. I think my f-250 wouldn't even know a pop-up was in the back.

·
cj41foleyisathief
1,925 Posts
I just like the fact that I can set up the the TT and go in to town, 4X4'n, ect, ect and not have to take my bed with me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have a Palomino 1200 and love it. Hardly know it is on the truck. I have it on an 8 foot box but I carried a similar camper years ago on a 6' and it was no problem. I'm on my 3rd slide in in 20+ years and the biggest tip I can give off the top of my head is go for a frame mount system to tie it down. Clamping the camper down tight makes it feel like it is part of the truck.

What kind of tips do you need.

Jeb
That is cool stuff. Glad to here you like the Palomino. That tip on the frame mount clamps is a great one thanks.

Ever check the mpg with the camper on?

Tim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used to have a pop-up camper for my f-150, we really enjoyed it for going deep woods camping. We had our pop-up for 13 years and enjoyed it ALOT. Then we got a travel trailer, then I needed a diesel to haul it. Got a diesel, got rid of the pop-up. We took that pop-up places I would never think of taking our travel trailer. We still have a t.t. but I have been thinking of getting another pop-up for quick weekend getaways. I think my f-250 wouldn't even know a pop-up was in the back.
I like travel trailers too....but the "deep woods" camping is what we want to do. We also have an "elk trailer" we need to be able to tow also(in season of course:wink[3]: )

:icon_ford:

Tim

·
Registered
84 Posts
That is cool stuff. Glad to here you like the Palomino. That tip on the frame mount clamps is a great one thanks.

Ever check the mpg with the camper on?

Tim
I only got the F250 late last Summer so I'm still collecting data on millage but it is much better than my F150 I use to have. The trip I was loaded for in the picture with the trailer I got a little over 16mpg and that was in hilly but not mountainous terrain in New England. Another trip with just the camper but loaded much heavier than a normal camping trip (I was hauling everything for an old car flea market space) I got 18mpg in the PA hills.

Jim...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts