Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
The fuel draining back is more of an annoyance at startup than anything performance related
definitely the internal check valve is compromised , but is it worth the expense at this time? -- maybe not

A permanent fuel pressure gauge would be , in my opinion a much better expense

Checking for air in the return fuel stream would be a good test -- it tests both the pump suction to the tank and engine contribution for entrained air
I recently got a "new truck" to replace the one that was stolen on May of this year -- the previous owner told me it ran out of fuel about 1/4 tank
I wanted to see if this statement was accurate
So connected a clear hose to the engine return and capped the pump connection -- sure enough at 108 miles to empty, was the last drop of fuel the pump picked up
I will be dropping the tank to "fix" the pickup foot and clean out the lines to the tank -- there was a small stream of bubbles that accompanied the fuel as I pumped it into my spare fuel cans
however running the engine did not add to that stream -- so expecting to find a damaged suction line or mostly plugged -- the flow was not as much as I expected

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
The fuel draining back is more of an annoyance at startup than anything performance related
definitely the internal check valve is compromised , but is it worth the expense at this time? -- maybe not

A permanent fuel pressure gauge would be , in my opinion a much better expense

Checking for air in the return fuel stream would be a good test -- it tests both the pump suction to the tank and engine contribution for entrained air
I recently got a "new truck" to replace the one that was stolen on May of this year -- the previous owner told me it ran out of fuel about 1/4 tank
I wanted to see if this statement was accurate
So connected a clear hose to the engine return and capped the pump connection -- sure enough at 108 miles to empty, was the last drop of fuel the pump picked up
I will be dropping the tank to "fix" the pickup foot and clean out the lines to the tank -- there was a small stream of bubbles that accompanied the fuel as I pumped it into my spare fuel cans
however running the engine did not add to that stream -- so expecting to find a damaged suction line or mostly plugged -- the flow was not as much as I expected
I’m so glad i don’t have the 1/4 problem yet. I’ve had my dank down to the low fuel light with no issue. Where exactly do i put the clear line? And do you know the size?

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
I used 10 feet of 3/8 id line, and a small clamp

In retrospect I could have connected to the return line from the engine rather than the HFCM, but I would have needed something to go inside the line from the fuel filter
a short piece of 3/8 copper would have worked as long as the tip was rounded and smooth -- the main goal is to use a connector that will not damage the internal o-ring

I was interested in when I was going to run out of fuel, so I was putting the fuel into storage cans -- but you could return to the fuel tank easily
make a couple of loops in the clear line to capture any air bubbles

Use a penetrating oil with a good stream like PB Blaster and spray into the line connector to flush out any dirt, then blow with air
this will make using the disconnect tool easier on the HFCM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I used 10 feet of 3/8 id line, and a small clamp

In retrospect I could have connected to the return line from the engine rather than the HFCM, but I would have needed something to go inside the line from the fuel filter
a short piece of 3/8 copper would have worked as long as the tip was rounded and smooth -- the main goal is to use a connector that will not damage the internal o-ring

I was interested in when I was going to run out of fuel, so I was putting the fuel into storage cans -- but you could return to the fuel tank easily
make a couple of loops in the clear line to capture any air bubbles
I just ordered $280 worth of stuff hopefully this fixes it. I just don’t get why the ipr only acts up at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I picked up this splitter harness so I can run Torque or ForScan and my Livewire at the same time, also the BAFX adapter

Do you have any idea why the ipr only acts up at highway speeds and if that would cause poor fuel economy

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Highway speed should have nothing to add to the equation , except for the engine RPM
I do not see the relationship(much) with the IPR and fuel mileage
the IPR does act on fuel injection pressure, so I suppose higher pressure would equate to better atomization of the fuel
More likely to me fuel mileage would be affected by engine timing, which is controlled by the PCM and the tune
and further by load on the engine -- drive line drag, wind drag, terrain

The amount of fuel injected in a diesel is directly related to RPM, with all other things constant, load, timing, etc.
connected to the truck, this relates to speed down the highway, which we vary according to the road conditions to maintain a constant speed

Any variance in the IPR reading could be caused by an electrical connection/issue or aeration of the engine oil
not a common failure, but the oil pickup tube can crack or just come loose and allow air in the oil stream
since in a HEUI engine this oil is used for injection, the air could cause fuel variance, but I could not be sure which way the mileage would vary

With the oil cold and then hot, one could chart the difference in the action of the IPR valve at "highway speeds" = engine rpm
also since the oil pickup is on the front of the engine, tilting the truck to the rear should have a greater effect on a leak

OK, I have had waay too much caffeine this evening -- there was a lot more, but I deleted it after re-reading, ...lol

after thought, checked the air filter lately?

Reactions: letsmow10

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Highway speed should have nothing to add to the equation , except for the engine RPM
I do not see the relationship(much) with the IPR and fuel mileage
the IPR does act on fuel injection pressure, so I suppose higher pressure would equate to better atomization of the fuel
More likely to me fuel mileage would be affected by engine timing, which is controlled by the PCM and the tune
and further by load on the engine -- drive line drag, wind drag, terrain

The amount of fuel injected in a diesel is directly related to RPM, with all other things constant, load, timing, etc.
connected to the truck, this relates to speed down the highway, which we vary according to the road conditions to maintain a constant speed

Any variance in the IPR reading could be caused by an electrical connection/issue or aeration of the engine oil
not a common failure, but the oil pickup tube can crack or just come loose and allow air in the oil stream
since in a HEUI engine this oil is used for injection, the air could cause fuel variance, but I could not be sure which way the mileage would vary

With the oil cold and then hot, one could chart the difference in the action of the IPR valve at "highway speeds" = engine rpm
also since the oil pickup is on the front of the engine, tilting the truck to the rear should have a greater effect on a leak

OK, I have had waay too much caffeine this evening -- there was a lot more, but I deleted it after re-reading, ...lol

after thought, checked the air filter lately?
Brand new air filter. I’ve read a few posts of people having the same highway symptom as me and the ipr replacement fixed all of them. I also read one of the symptoms of a bad ipr is poor fuel economy. Hoping the new ipr and blue spring upgrade will fix her. Also ordered a fuel pressure gauge and adapter so we will see next weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure if you figured it out yet, but I had a similar problem with my 2006 in May. Spudered/bucked on interstate, ipr would max out and icp dropped and fluctuated. This only happened at interstate speeds ran great around town but also had poor mileage. After changing icp and ipr problem still existed and I came to site for help. With help from loxdiesel and hydro found I was “making oil” from leaking injector. Check oil level on dipstick when dipstick about 2 inches from being seated in tube, also oil was thin. So oil was diluted with fuel and pump couldn’t keep up with the thinned oil. If you look at my post the guys have me great troubleshooting. Found one injector leaking fuel into oil system. Changed out the one injector and been running great with fuel mileage back up for 3k miles now

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Not sure if you figured it out yet, but I had a similar problem with my 2006 in May. Spudered/bucked on interstate, ipr would max out and icp dropped and fluctuated. This only happened at interstate speeds ran great around town but also had poor mileage. After changing icp and ipr problem still existed and I came to site for help. With help from loxdiesel and hydro found I was “making oil” from leaking injector. Check oil level on dipstick when dipstick about 2 inches from being seated in tube, also oil was thin. So oil was diluted with fuel and pump couldn’t keep up with the thinned oil. If you look at my post the guys have me great troubleshooting. Found one injector leaking fuel into oil system. Changed out the one injector and been running great with fuel mileage back up for 3k miles now
My oil isn’t diluted and doesn’t smell like diesel at all. Also did the air bubble test and it passed. I don’t think my injectors are bad. Hopefully lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just checked my oil and it is high but doesn’t smell like diesel at all? I also just got the truck so i haven’t done an oil change on her yet so I’m not sure if it’s just overfull or if it’s diesel in the oil. Did your oil smell like diesel? Also what parts did you use to make that pressure tester?

·
Registered
14 Posts
No mine didn’t really have a distinct diesel smell, but seemed thin and clean with 3k miles on oil change. I know I put 15 qts in it and when I drained it filled up a 5 gallon bucket and then a little more. I got all the parts to put air to the fuel line on each mostly from harbor freight and an oring face seal fitting from a hydraulics shop to hook it to truck. Prob cost around $30 bucks or so to set up. You disconnect line from fuel filter bowl that goes to front of head and connect the air to each head separately. Put air in and close valve and see if pressure leaks down. With the turbo intake and air box removed I could hear the air coming from hole in drivers side valve cover(if pass side leaking may hear it through oil fill). Pulled valve cover and oil rail on drivers side, put air back on fuel line and could hear it up front by #2 injector. Sprayed some oil on it and and confirmed it gurgled on that injector. I think the orfs fitting is 12x1.5. The adapter I got was 1/8 pipe to 12x1.5 orfs to connect from truck to air line. I attached pics of the setup I made.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
You do have to tweak/bend the fuel line a little to hook the air line to it
I made a pressure tester and put air to it. The passenger side dropped real fast and i could hear air from the oil fill cap. Replacing injectors is not what i wanted to be doing lol. Drivers side bleeds off real slow so I’m assuming i have one going bad there too. I have a chance to get 8 oem injectors with 500 miles on the for 400 so i might just do them all and while I’m in there head stud it 1 bolt at a time cause i don’t have head gasket issues yet so no need to replace the headgaskets

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
The upper o-ring on an injector is likely where the leak is coming from
pull the oil rail and look with the air pressure on

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The upper o-ring on an injector is likely where the leak is coming from
pull the oil rail and look with the air pressure on
I’m going to do that soon. Just dreading working on the passenger side where it’s so cramped

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Pull the fender liner and tire, it makes the rear bolts much easier to get into

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well since i don’t have the space or time to do the injectors I’m sending her to my diesel tech he’s going to install some Warren 155/30 injectors, my ipr i have, and do an oil change for me. I’m sending her in next week sometime so should have an update soon. He’s also doing an atlas 80 ficm tune and I’m getting custom tunes from Warren for the injectors.

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you intend on towing almost at all you might want to look into the Atlas 80. Many people don't recommend it for towing anything since it will greatly increase EGTs. Most people are tickled pink with the Atlas 40 which helps on almost all fronts while still being able to tow well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Got my truck back today. 8 brand new Warren stock injectors, new ipr, oil change, coolant flush with Rotella elc, and an atlas 40 ficm tune. The truck is running amazing now. My mechanic said the oil was full of diesel. Thank you all for the help.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts