Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’m having a problem with my 04 f350 6.0. The truck was running great, has 4 new injectors, a new ficm, new stand pipes and dummy plugs. New fuel filters. The problem I’m having i was driving the other day and the truck just stalled in the middle of the road. I got it to the side put it in park and cranked it over. It cranked for a good 10-15 seconds before finally firing up. Started down the road then stalled again. It stalled 4 times before i got home. It felt almost like i was running out of fuel but had a full tank. It also is getting horrible mileage. I filled it and have driven 60 miles and it’s almost down a half tank. It also has some grayish black smoke when i step on it. It does have a 4” straight pipe, x4 on performance tune(put it back to stock with no change) and it’s not studded or deleted. This morning i went out to put my new billet fuel filter cap on and the fuel bowl was empty? Anyone have any insight on this. Ficm is at 47.5-49v with 13.5v power. The icp is at .21 and injection pressure is at 650 at idle.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,000 Posts
You need to fill the secondary fuel bowl with diesel (after removing the filter element), crank with the key off using the starter solenoid jumper wire, and look for air bubbles coming up from the bottom of the filter housing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll check that when i get home. I got another issue now. I was driving down the highway at 65-70mph and the truck started bucking and the Icp duty cycle shot to .84 and the oil pressure was all over the place. When i would stomp down it would smooth out then start doing it again. I took the first ramp off the highway and the truck stalled. I sat there cranking it and the injection control pressure wouldn’t go above 400psi then it slowly made its way to 550 and fired up. Drive through town with no issues or stalling? I made a video of it on the highway but can’t figure out how to post it lol EDIT: i have a brand new icp sensor from motorcraft. Here is a pic of my x4. The injection control pressure used to be around 575 at .21 while idling

Attachments

·
6,000 Posts
What I am saying is that a bad injector will allow combustion gas to back pressure the fuel system. That will result in insufficient fuel. Insufficient fuel can cause insufficient engine rotation which can cause insufficient ICP (high-pressure oil pressure). Your call on how to approach your issues,

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Oil level up to the mark?
aeration will cause similar symptoms

·
Premium Member
3,759 Posts
Surprised you dont have a fuel leak with those big nicks out of the seal lip area

Check valve in the fuel pump is not holding

·
6,000 Posts
It is not unusual for the filter housing to drain down with the engine shut off. It SHOULDN'T do it, but many do. That said, it can be rough on your injectors if you try to start quickly without waiting for the air to be purged out of the bowl.

The way you need to run the test is with a full filter housing (adding fuel as you need to to keep a good level in it), and you sometimes need to crank for quite a while. Lots of youtube videos on it and some show that it can take quite a few cranks to get it to show up.

Also, OEM fuel filters have a feature to get rid of air. You are using OEM fuel filters? Same question for the oil filter?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is not unusual for the filter housing to drain down with the engine shut off. It SHOULDN'T do it, but many do. That said, it can be rough on your injectors if you try to start quickly without waiting for the air to be purged out of the bowl.

The way you need to run the test is with a full filter housing (adding fuel as you need to to keep a good level in it), and you sometimes need to crank for quite a while. Lots of youtube videos on it and some show that it can take quite a few cranks to get it to show up.

Also, OEM fuel filters have a feature to get rid of air. You are using OEM fuel filters? Same question for the oil filter?
I let it crank for a good 10 seconds atleast 3 times. I’m using motorcraft filters. I’m wondering could a failed fuel pressure regulator cause my symptoms? I haven’t done the blue spring mod yet but I’m planning on it

·
6,000 Posts
Surprised you dont have a fuel leak with those big nicks out of the seal lip area

Check valve in the fuel pump is not holding
Looks like someone used a square drive on the cap instead of a socket (then chiseled the plastic cap off) !!!

Reactions: Hydro

·
6,000 Posts
I let it crank for a good 10 seconds atleast 3 times. I’m using motorcraft filters. I’m wondering could a failed fuel pressure regulator cause my symptoms? I haven’t done the blue spring mod yet but I’m planning on it
Usually the engine will run even with low fuel pressure (but injector damage can/does occur even if the engine can run with it).

I'll try to find a link to the video that was done where it took the longest time cranking.

Shutting down immediately like it did/does is usually due to running out of fuel or an electrical issue.

One of the more common electrical issues is a failing IPR valve actuator. That might account for the high IPR % duty cycle you saw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the video quality is horrible for some reason but this is what it’s doing at highway speeds

·
6,000 Posts
Do you have a scan tool that is good at pulling codes? (SCT is not good at it)

·
6,000 Posts
You mentioned the fuel pressure regulator and the blue spring ..... It would be a REALLY good idea to get a fuel pressure gauge on it. The blue spring is a good thing to do, but you can get low fuel pressure from quite a few things other than that spring.

Downloading ForScan Lite to a smartphone ($5 or so) and buying the correct OBDII adapter for your phone type and you will have an EXCELLENT scan tool and code reader. I like the BAFX brand adapter because it works well enough and is inexpensive.

Reactions: Hydro

·
6,000 Posts
No scan tool just the sct. Here is a video of me bubble testing
That's a pretty good test. Thanks for posting.

Since you are now getting the high commanded IPR duty cycle (didn't seem to have that in your first post), then I would tend to suspect the IPR valve (since you have a new motorcraft ICP sensor).

Did you closely inspect the ICP sensor wiring?

Might want to inspect the IPR wiring also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's a pretty good test. Thanks for posting.

Since you are now getting the high commanded IPR duty cycle (didn't seem to have that in your first post), then I would tend to suspect the IPR valve (since you have a new motorcraft ICP sensor).

Did you closely inspect the ICP sensor wiring?

Might want to inspect the IPR wiring also.
The icp harness looks good. The only reason o replaced the icp is cause i was having this issue but the icp sensor didn’t fix it so i guess I’ll be ordering an ipr, socket, blue spring , and fuel pressure gauge tonight

1 - 20 of 41 Posts