Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I have read every thread I can find on these codes but there are not many on here.

About two weeks ago my fuel gauge randomly dropped to dead E when i knew it had fuel and started throwing these codes. I reset the codes and restarted the truck (06 f350) and they went away. A week later it was stuck on full when I knew it was about at half tank. Then this morning it went to E and was throwing codes again.

I did have my gauges rebuilt by circuit board medics about 3 months ago for a different issue.

I have read about a recommended techron cleaner but I am assuming this is for gasoline only.

Any other tips besides dropping the tank? I don't really have the tools or ability to do that at the moment.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you but it looks like there is just a small letter that I can't see what it is. There doesn't appear to be a test for these codes.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
I didn't recall it, but I have commented on a P0460 code before in this thread:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/1365213-already-have-gremlin.html

Here is what I said at that time:

Well... that's a helluva code to have.

There is no Pinpoint Test for it in the PCED. The OBD system summary is this:

...which is - basically - saying that your sender is stuck. I don't know if that plays into your problem or not.

Even though the PCED doesn't define a test, it does say to go to the workshop manual section 4.13 for "diagnostic procedures." I'll attach that section. That code is not ever used but the description of the code appears.

Maybe the attached Workshop Manual section will help. Maybe not.

...and I don't know what to make of the P0463 since it isn't listed in the PCED. You might try a different scanner just to make sure that it isn't a spurious output from the one that you used.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you. It seems im going to have to drop the tank. I did find a thread saying run stanadyne and see if that will clean out the sensor so im giving that a try first but preparing myself to drop the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to update people in case someone else comes across this problem. Apparently the sensor in the tank is very sensitive to diesel. I started running hotshots secret everyday diesel treatment. Have not had an issue since.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,817 Posts
P0463 is an electrical code. I don't see it being a diesel quality issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts