Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the fourm and my first post. Going to replace my pmr rods this fall. Truck has 53k miles. Thinking about hypermax rods, rod bearings, rings and head studs. Am I missing anything? With low miles should I still replace pistons? Thinking about stock head gasket with APR studs. What are your thoughts?

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Don't need to replace pistons but if you're going with billets you might as well put a girdle in it and have it align honed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean by align honed? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'd go with Crower Rods. They are the only ones that haven't seen failures. If I'm not mistaken the Hypermax rods are forged from the same castings as the stock ones were. Or at least that's what's been reported.

You have to be careful if you line hone the mains because if you cut away at anything on the block side it will tighten the mesh up on the cam gear which is NOT good.

What are you planning to do with this engine? That will determine weather you will need fire ring head gaskets or not. I'd get main studs but wouldn't bother with a girdle. Especially if you don't think you are going to be going for enough power to need better head gaskets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the future I will be trying to get between 400 & 500 HP. My thought was to not even touch the crank or main bearings with only 53K miles on truck. How much boost will stock gaskets with studs hold? Thinking about H2E and stage 3 sticks down the road. Thanks

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
I am running H11 studs on stock head gaskets, my truck puts out 54psi of boost. I have not had any problems for the last 25K or so. My setup put down 488hp three days ago.

GTS,
Hypermax rods are not made on anything from ford. They are hypermaxes own stuff. Had you made this post a year ago, I would agree but not these days. That all changed for the better. Who has a set of hypermax rods that broke, other than Dockboy? Zane ran them in his truck for a little while and pulled them out to have them tested. They cam back perfect and he resold them to another racer for the "new" price. Besides all that, with a goal of 500hp tops, hypermax would have not problems holding it.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
400-500 is where I'm at. You don't need billets but they'd be nice.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I think docboy could bust rods if they were 5" steel beams! :hehe::hehe::hehe:

I know I've read that Hypreamx got the factory dies but wasn't sure if they had upgraded since. There was a thread awhile back about the different rods and who's had failures. Seems as I recall Crower was the ony one that haddn't. I do know there aren't nearly as many sets out there to be nearly as proven as the Crowers.

Not so sure I'd want it advertized that I sold a set of used rods for the new price!:eek:

400-500hp shouldn't be a problem for stock forged rods. But if you are going through the trouble to tear the engine completely apart you might as well do it so that it will hold up. If you are doing new rods and you are there for the cost you might as well do new bearings too. Not is kind of like taking a shower and putting your dirty undies back on. :eek:

·
Registered
719 Posts
Don't mean to hijack here but if I'm planning for 400-450hp, do I NEED rods? I'm already planning to do studs soon, probably going with H11s

·
Registered
959 Posts
Most likely. It will depend on if you have PMRs or not. I think some '01 do and some don't.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I believe I have PMRs. I'm basically scared to do anything else cause I don't want a hole through my hood hehe.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
I'd bet your platinum is just like mine and has (had) PMR's.

For 400-450 just pull the motor, and put forged in. No need for headstuds unless you want it... you'll be lucky to be pushing 30-32psi @ 400 rwhp.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Should I try this rebuild myself? I can do about anything but I've never pulled a motor and rebuilt it.

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
If your a DIY kinda guy and know your truck well go for it MAINTAIN (Marty) had never pulled or rebuild a motor and did his and its running very well and he saved alot of $$$ by doing so. and a Bonus when your done you will know your 7.3 top to bottom

·
Registered
959 Posts
Should I try this rebuild myself? I can do about anything but I've never pulled a motor and rebuilt it.
You are the only one who can answer that question. How mechanically inclined are you? Have you ever been in any kind of engine before? Do you know the basics of the layout of all the parts etc.

I didn't think it was hard at all. But then I've done this stuff for quite awhile. I had the V6 out of my Ranger and goine through it before I was 18. I've worked on stuff like this all my life so for me it was a piece of cake. For someone not as familiar with engines it might be overwhelming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts