Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Anyone have any experience with PMF’s spacers? I’m looking at leveling my F-350. I already have a 2” front level (under the coil), and I believe my rear block is 1” taller than stock. Right now the front is actually 2.5” lower than the rear…I don’t like it. I want it more level. Obviously I don’t want too huge of a spacer on top, so I was thinking of using a 1.5” top spacer from PMF. I get work done at one of the more respected shops in Edmonton, and they say this should work fine. They checked my track bar, and it should work fine as well. If it ends up not working, I’ll grab an adjustable track bar for it.
Anyways, anyone use one of these PMF spacers before? Your thoughts on them? Thanks in advance. Link is below :)
http://www.pmfsuspension.com/Ford-Top-Mount-Coil-Spring-Spacer_p_35.html

·
Registered
737 Posts
thats almost 4" worth of spacers. id just do a 4" coil. much safer and a better ride. with 4" lift you will need some sort of trac bar fix, either an adjustable one or a drop bracket. 2 spacers is not the way to go

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
You could run a coil spacer and not have any problems. Opting to do a full replacement coil would improve ride quality and handling while getting the lift you need. We sell the 4.5" dual rate coils for $240 a pair. Could probably buy them for about the same amount of money. You are going to want an adjustable trackbar and correct size radius arm drop brackets so your castor is correct. I wouldnt recommend doing alignment cams instead as they put the ball joints in some what of a bind. Can it be done, for sure and is all the time. Will it make them wear faster...yes. If we can help in any way, just let me know.
-Trevor

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could run a coil spacer and not have any problems. Opting to do a full replacement coil would improve ride quality and handling while getting the lift you need. We sell the 4.5" dual rate coils for $240 a pair. Could probably buy them for about the same amount of money. You are going to want an adjustable trackbar and correct size radius arm drop brackets so your castor is correct. I wouldnt recommend doing alignment cams instead as they put the ball joints in some what of a bind. Can it be done, for sure and is all the time. Will it make them wear faster...yes. If we can help in any way, just let me know.
-Trevor
My only catch is that the truck will never be offroad...so I'm not yet sure if an actual lift is needed. If I get 4.5" coils, won't I also have to get new shocks as well, along with the trackbar and radius arm brackets? At that point, aren't I pretty much just buying a 4.5" lift kit with a track bar? I'm really not a suspension/drivetrain expert, so maybe I'm missing something? Thanks for the help. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats almost 4" worth of spacers. id just do a 4" coil. much safer and a better ride. with 4" lift you will need some sort of trac bar fix, either an adjustable one or a drop bracket. 2 spacers is not the way to go
I've been hearing this a lot. lol

On a completely unrelated note...Mustang.... :drool:
Best 2-vehicle combination ever. PSD + Fox Body lol

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
My only catch is that the truck will never be offroad...so I'm not yet sure if an actual lift is needed. If I get 4.5" coils, won't I also have to get new shocks as well, along with the trackbar and radius arm brackets? At that point, aren't I pretty much just buying a 4.5" lift kit with a track bar? I'm really not a suspension/drivetrain expert, so maybe I'm missing something? Thanks for the help. Let me know what you think.
Be it 4" of spacers or 4" of springs, you will need the same supporting parts in order to do it correctly. Depending on what shocks you have, you may need longer shocks aswell. Ie, some are 0-2" and some are 2"-4". But yes, you are essentially buying a 4"/4.5" lift.

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
The larger the * of cam it is the more it is putting the ball joint in a bind. Im sure you have a good alignment guy that has been around, shoot him a call and ask him. Im not saying its going to cause an instant failure, but it will expedite the wear on the ball joints.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Be it 4" of spacers or 4" of springs, you will need the same supporting parts in order to do it correctly. Depending on what shocks you have, you may need longer shocks aswell. Ie, some are 0-2" and some are 2"-4". But yes, you are essentially buying a 4"/4.5" lift.
So essentially if I'm doing that, it'd be better to just buy a whole lift kit, instead of the individual parts?

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
So essentially if I'm doing that, it'd be better to just buy a whole lift kit, instead of the individual parts?
Not necessarily. Just price out the individual components and a complete kit and see what fits the best for you. There are a few components that you may be able to reuse which could save you over a complete kit.

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Well castor shims used for level kits for '05 up's are only 2.5*....and I've talked to many alignment guys over the last 40+ years...never heard this....
Per OEM design, ball joints are designed to be in line with one another. An castor shim offsets the upper balljoints and takes them out of alignment. The more it is taken out of alignment with the other ball joint, the more it is going to cause increased wear.

My lowered F350 had to have the largest set of cams available put in it and the ball joints pop when the wheel is turned hard left or hard right. And they were were brand new when I installed the lowering beams. Obviously this is to the extreme compared to a leveling kit, but it illustrates what I am saying.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not necessarily. Just price out the individual components and a complete kit and see what fits the best for you. There are a few components that you may be able to reuse which could save you over a complete kit.
Unfortunately I still don't know what every component of a lift kit is. I'm unable to determine which parts are needed to achieve the end result that I want.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
However I do know that I don't need to touch the rear end height. It's at the height I want already. It's just the front I want raised.

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Ok, then if your rear is set and needs nothing, a complete kit would not be the best route. You would end up with extra components that you dont need.

If you would like to shoot me a call I would be happy to walk you through everything you will need.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, then if your rear is set and needs nothing, a complete kit would not be the best route. You would end up with extra components that you dont need.

If you would like to shoot me a call I would be happy to walk you through everything you will need.
Sounds good, I'll keep it in mind for when I have some free time. My only concern is my location...since I'm in Canada. Do you guys ship to Canada? i know a lot of places don't lol

·
Vendor
1,594 Posts
Yes, we do ship to Canada. We normally ship UPS but that doesnt typically work the best for Canadian stuff as they rape you guys with brokerage fees. We can ship USPS aswell, its just more difficult on our end. Either way we can get it up to ya though!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally someone who knows how bad UPS is here in canada lol. They absolutely rape us with charges, it's true lol. I've paid over 150% of a package's worth, on just UPS shipping, handling, customs, and brokerage fees. It's awful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts