Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 05 350 about 8 months ago and boy has it gave me fits. anyway i'm having coolant issues. I'm losing approx. a gallon or so a day ( drive approx. 40 miles daily) I have no issues with white smoke or any coolant leaks on the ground. I'm also concerned because the coolant is very rusty looking and the dgas is blowing this out of the cap. this is the first power stroke I have ever owned. I drive a heavy duty tow truck for a living so I deal only with big trucks and i'm not very keen on these motors. the motor is a 225,000 mile non bulletproofed truck. I need to know where to start and what kind of prices am I looking at. any advise would be great. thx in advanced

brandon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thx, I've seen how guys are running gauges off of the degas and into the cab just like a thermometer. is that ok or should I break the bank? I've been told that the egr delete is approx. 1500 to get done? is that something that someone could do or should I take it to a shop. I have been refered to a shop south of atl that has a great rep

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up a 05 350 about 8 months ago and boy has it gave me fits. anyway i'm having coolant issues. I'm losing approx. a gallon or so a day ( drive approx. 40 miles daily) I have no issues with white smoke or any coolant leaks on the ground. I'm also concerned because the coolant is very rusty looking and the dgas is blowing this out of the cap. this is the first power stroke I have ever owned. I drive a heavy duty tow truck for a living so I deal only with big trucks and i'm not very keen on these motors. the motor is a 225,000 mile non bulletproofed truck. I need to know where to start and what kind of prices am I looking at. any advise would be great. thx in advanced

brandon

Welcome to the forum! I am also a recent rookie. I have an 06 f250 6.0 with 205k. First thing I did was change oil, and flush coolant system completely. These trucks are notorious for overheating and blowing gaskets. Main issue is with this little pesky bastards called the oil cooler, and the EGR cooler. Now first thing I was taught by the fine folks on these forums, was to get some guages to see engine oil temps and coolant temps. These two along with trans temps are key. Between the coolant temp and oil temp, there should only be a difference of 5-15 degrees, oil being the higher number of the two. This number is referred to as the delta. If the delta is getting 15* or higher, then there's a strong possibility of an oil cooler ready to shart. Sounds like you're having some symptoms relating to these two culprits. Bulletproof EGR cooler and a stock oem ford oil cooler, along with a coolant filtration system, should resolve the issue

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an EGR delete with no programmer. Constantly have P0401 & P0403 codes. Plan to get a programmer soon. @whitedurtylongbed...get you an Edge Monitor system. It's an awesome touchscreen with digital gauges that you can customize. I have Boost PSI, IPR %, ICP pressure, mph, ect, eot, ficm voltage, fuel pressure all on a 4" screen above my dash. It's amazing. You can monitor the engine realtime, all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Now I think the 5-15 rule is textbook, but I don't think A FEW degrees would make it blow up. But it is key in making sure vitals are good. I was quoted about 3k to do 3 injectors, oem oil cooler and bulletproof EGR cooler. You're guaranteed not to have EGR cooler probs with delete, but you spend more on a programmer and tunes...so I was told by my diesel tech, but not sure how much is true

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thx so much. I will talk to the boss about so cheese and start with the gauges and get started. I believe the whole kit and kabootdle is around 5 grand. that includes egr delete, new heads and head studs, to hpop....... I will call tomorrow and make sure but again thx guys. I really love this truck and wanna keep her around for a while... just needs a lil tlc. this was a us Marshalls seizure so idk what the truck was treated like before I got it. I know it has a predator tune on it because it was in the dash when I got it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice! If you don't want to drop about 3-500 on the monitor, you can use a wifi obd2 plug in and use either android or iPhone to monitor the temps. I use it on mine and it's pretty cool for 15 bucks plus 3 for the app... Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! If you don't want to drop about 3-500 on the monitor, you can use a wifi obd2 plug in and use either android or iPhone to monitor the temps. I use it on mine and it's pretty cool for 15 bucks plus 3 for the app... Good luck

ive seen that as well!! that's probably more up my alley. I have 5 kidos so money is always a lil tight lol.

·
Registered
39 Posts
ive seen that as well!! that's probably more up my alley. I have 5 kidos so money is always a lil tight lol.

I feel ya brother! Same here. I love my truck, but with a baby on the way, I gotta hold off on spending the cash. 3 k is a pretty big chunk o change! I'll see if I can post up a pic of the setup on my phone Image1463019033.808894.jpg Image1463019045.387430.jpg

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well just reading this I would say you have 1 of 2 problems… Either your degas bottle cap is junk or your head gaskets let go. You need to pressure test the cooling system while driving it to see what the system reaches for pressure. EGR coolers don't usually blow coolant out the degas bottle, most of the time when they rupture it burns the coolant and thus you get white smoke out the tailpipe. You should get a monitor to see what kind of condition your oil cooler is in and go from there.

·
Registered
270 Posts

Wait so do you mine explaining that more cause I think I want to buy the monitor deal you are talking about what exactly am I buying? This is for an iPhone 6 Is the app called obd fusion? And what else do I buy? Plus how reliable would you say it all is?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wait so do you mine explaining that more cause I think I want to buy the monitor deal you are talking about what exactly am I buying? This is for an iPhone 6 Is the app called obd fusion? And what else do I buy? Plus how reliable would you say it all is?

Go on eBay and search obd2 wifi. It's orange with a bit of blue and black. Once u get that, the get OBD fusion for iPhone or torque for android os. Before you pair both devices, make sure you have the wifi icon ON on the iPhone or device. Then plug in OBD sensor to truck. Look at your wifi settings on iPhone and look for one called CLK DEVICE or something to that effect. Make sure it pairs to your phone. Now launch OBD fusion and a notification is gonna come on screen saying that it's connecting. Explore the app and download preset PIDs specifically for ford. I think it's under settings. I'll supply you with pics, but the guages I have on the pics I posted are the main ones you wanna look at. The styling is pretty cool also. You just have to spend some time on it Image1463022839.787411.jpg Image1463022851.842523.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts

It's been pretty reliable for me. I've been using it for a few months. The only issue I had was the trans temp was a tad high, but that's because the formula the app uses to find it, was wrong. I got ahold of the company that made app, and they cleared it right up and gave me the correct formula. If you have any other ??? Let me know bro, I'll try to be as helpful as possible

·
Registered
270 Posts
It's been pretty reliable for me. I've been using it for a few months. The only issue I had was the trans temp was a tad high, but that's because the formula the app uses to find it, was wrong. I got ahold of the company that made app, and they cleared it right up and gave me the correct formula. If you have any other ??? Let me know bro, I'll try to be as helpful as possible
Yea I'll just message you so I don't clog up his post

1 - 17 of 17 Posts