Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plow on F250 rear wheel drive ...This is my truck

Thinking of picking up a plowing contract this winter ...

Opinions please, Of course i would load the bed with maybe 700 lbs of sand bags and put the stock wheels back on..... Am I pissing in the wind?

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Yes. The diesel motor is too heavy up front. You need 4x4.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I put 700 lbs. in the back of mine every winter because as Zach stated the front is too heavy. The truck will literally run circles around its self if the road is greasy without being in 4x4. You add a heavy snow plow to the front and things will just get worse.

My .02 is you will be more frustrated from getting stuck all the time than it would be worth.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You are pissing into the wind in a hurricane my friend.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have never plowed before, but I have owned a couple of diesels... Having said that, I wouldn't even think about it without having a 4X4. With the heavy diesel engine plus a plow hanging off the front, you're going to be stuck a LOT.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Never plowed with 2WD but I would never try it on a plow contract. It'd be a struggle to say the least.

Scott

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The only 2wd's that work as plow trucks are the DOH dump trucks with 10 tons of salt and a spreader in the back, with chains on all 4 rear tires... and once they are out of salt, they are stickin' to the clear roads, headin' to the barn for a refill so they can keep moving.

You are wasting your time and money if you put a plow on a small truck like yours that's not 4x4. I'd buy an old beater and put a plow on it for snow season... early '80's short bed chevy p/u, or K-5 blazers are popular around here, short and easy to manuver, another guy who's a Mopar fan has 2 or 3 old Ramchargers with the back roof cut off to make a really short bed truck, and small salt spreaders mounted in the back. Small, and good weight distribution, he does good with them... has sevral contracts with local fast-food places, they work great in the smaller parking lots he does.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only 2wd's that work as plow trucks are the DOH dump trucks with 10 tons of salt and a spreader in the back, with chains on all 4 rear tires... and once they are out of salt, they are stickin' to the clear roads, headin' to the barn for a refill so they can keep moving.

You are wasting your time and money if you put a plow on a small truck like yours that's not 4x4. I'd buy an old beater and put a plow on it for snow season... early '80's short bed chevy p/u, or K-5 blazers are popular around here, short and easy to manuver, another guy who's a Mopar fan has 2 or 3 old Ramchargers with the back roof cut off to make a really short bed truck, and small salt spreaders mounted in the back. Small, and good weight distribution, he does good with them... has sevral contracts with local fast-food places, they work great in the smaller parking lots he does.
Yeah I just sold a K5 a few months back.. I was thinking the same thing about the wheelbase in all.. Guess I'll search around a bit.. Thanks for all the input guys...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts