Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I think I've ignored my tranny long enough, er, well, it's forcing me not to ignore it anymore.

What are the symptoms of a TC lettin go?

What are the symptoms of the tranny lettin go?

Personally, I'd say it's the tranny, but after I rev it up high enough, she takes off like a bat outta hell, squeelin tires and all. So I think it might be the TC. But it also could be the forward clutches letting go and slipping real bad.

Here's what she's doin to me today. When I first left the house, I noticed it hesitated to go into drive. Didn't think anything of it, went to my buddies, (No dead stops in between) and everything was fine (I never floored it or anything). Backed down his yard, and when I went to pull away, I had to basically floor the throttle to get er moving (reverse acted fine, forward didn't), but once she got goin, she moved just fine. From the next dead stop I had to make, same thing. So I pulled over, and checked the t-oil, and it is at normal levels, although It's not as red as i thought it should have been. (I'm getting a bad feeling about this) and now when I got to where I was goin. the OD light is flashing (I know this says tranny, but I'm hoping it's just a TC, I don't have the 3k to put out right now)

Anybody have any ideas? I still have to drive home from here, and am also worried about doing some more damage to her.

Also, what is this tranny in? (4R100, right?) 250's 350's ect? the 7.3's the only one's that use this tranny?

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
sounds to me like when mine went out, first went the TC then everything else after.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Damn, I was hopin I was wrong. How long did you have milking it chase before it all went out on you? If I replace the TC and not the tranny to milk it more, that will make the new TC junk as well when I have to replace the tranny? Am I correct?

Tranny was flushed at 80k, 25k ago. Doubt changing it again would help. :(

Anyone know what other models ford used this tranny in? I know where there's another ex sittin, but I believe it's got the v-10

·
Registered
361 Posts
sounds like exactly what happened to a plow truck we were usin this winter. started to slip in drive, then have a harder time getting going, then eventually only worked in reverse. truck was a 99 with the 4r100. had to be sent out to be rebuilt again. i forget exactly what the boss said had to be done, but if i remember it was a valve that started everything, and everything went downhill form there. good luck with everything :icon_ford:

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
mine lasted for maybe about 500 miles, but i didnt let it crap completly out, just long enough to get all the parts. I believe ford uses the 4r100 on all f250s 99-03 also, I might be wrong but the v10 might work... but not the computers. Id have a shop look at it

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
we had a 99 and we had alot of trannie problems but most of them were the tc and every time is was the tc the o/d light flashed once we put a hd tc in it she worked fine but we had also rebuilt the trannie not to long before that

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know what I'd be looking at for a replacement tranny?

I know alot of guys say either john wood, or BTS, but neither are close to me.

I'm either gonna look for a full replacement or maybe yank one out of the boneyard. Like I said, I don't have 3g's to be throwing around right now. On one hand money is a concern, On the other, I don't want to be doing another tranny in 25k miles.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
well i have about 5+ invested in mine... I would recomend buying one from those guys or doing it yourself, dont buy on ebay, there are alot of scams on there.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks cchase, way to take the wind outta my sails. LOL I e-mailed BTS and John wood for price quotes. Told them I was from the org, think it'll help at all? LOL

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Telling them your from the .org cant hurt!. Sorry, no1 likes the stright forward guy. If you have a shop around pay whatever a hundred bucks and have them look it over for you, it will give you a better idea.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i think we spent about 1700 on the trannie and about 500 on the tc from a irs shop is scottsbluff

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ouch, didn't like BTS price, plus 1g core? Umm, I'll pass. Looks like the org has no weight with them. LMAO

I'm taking it up to a local transmission shop on friday to give them a looksie. See exactly what the problem is.

·
Registered
361 Posts
(of all sayings to post outside your tranny shop)

This might not be all that funny and i probably would deserve a :buttkick:, but i saw a sign on a transmission shops roadside sign while working today that read "BE HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU HAVE" :doh: sorry Dana, but good luck on your search for answers

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, my tranny problems are over. I just stumbled on a steal of a deal. 03 f350 that was hit in the right rear, with the 4r100 tranny. 78k miles. I just paid $100 for it.

And yes, it's a PSD

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the tranny is offically toast. (low line preasure, caused everything else to go) I'm gonna have my parts truck towed over, and they're gonna do the swap for $650. They offered a rebuild for 3g's rated for 500hp. I'll do the swap for now.

What should I do to the other tranny before it's dropped in?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Make sure they completely flush the radiator and aux cooler. The contaniments will toast the new trans. Now's the time to put in synthetic oil.

·
Conservative and Proud
14,493 Posts
Well, the tranny is offically toast. (low line preasure, caused everything else to go) I'm gonna have my parts truck towed over, and they're gonna do the swap for $650. They offered a rebuild for 3g's rated for 500hp. I'll do the swap for now.

What should I do to the other tranny before it's dropped in?
I was going to say with mine it was the pump that was failing and then took everything else with it.:(

·
Registered
281 Posts
Where the heck did you find a wrecked F-350 PSD for 100 bucks in Maine, I'm not going to lie I've very jealous, is the front half still good?. Sorry to hear about the trans. Who's going to do the swap your buddy or the trans shop? The Ford dealer in Brunswick charged me $650 to remove/replace trans because I had a bad/leaking TQ seal. Something to consider and something that a lot of Trans guys(BTS, JW) recommend when replacing a toasted one is to go with a new cooler (yeah probably you could get any contaminants out of the oil cooler by blowing it out/flushing but you can't be 100% sure) If you got the money, around $350 for a new one 6.0 cooler or maybe a little cheaper off ebay, or even cheaper at a Junk yard, You'll never have to worry about over heating again, I can't remember if you said you tow with the X or not, if not it's good insurance anyway. WAIT!! is the junker 03 a 7.3 or 6.0? If it's a 6.0 you already got the cooler!

If you're not familiar with the 6.0 cooler install I can give you some tips/knowledge I've gathered, maybe even and excuse to come down to the wells area and give you a hand. I plan on doing it on my truck in the future.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts