Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,568 Posts
Well crap......that sounds worse that the issues with the 6.0's!! :surprise:
Not really you don't have to pull the cab to fix any of it. A good built auto transmission can cost 3-5K depending on what you want to do with it or how much of the work you do yourself. Or you can get one with a 6 speed.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Just keep your wallet ready for transmission and front end issues. And make sure you're up to speed on Cummins issues like a washed out #6 cylinder and the wavy block. And make sure it doesn't have the Dodge electrical gremlins. Also, confirm that the blend door on the HVAC system isn't jacked as it can be a PIA to fix. Check the cab mounts for cracking. Be sure to inspect the frame behind the cab. Other than that you should be good to go.
You forgot about injectors, I no mine, my dads and my brother cummins all had to have injectors do right after 100000 mile. There paint suxs to. I’ve own 3 cummins in the 13 years that I’ve own my 6.0, I still own the 6.0 and sold all the cummins over the years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
when buying a used 6.0 try to get a later build 2006 or a 2007 they have most the updates
make sure it was maintained do the delete and d plugs and dont look back
i still see my old 6.0 roling around runing like a champ
if your going to tune it then make sure you stud it

·
Registered
163 Posts
when buying a used 6.0 try to get a later build 2006 or a 2007 they have most the updates
make sure it was maintained do the delete and d plugs and dont look back
i still see my old 6.0 roling around runing like a champ
if your going to tune it then make sure you stud it
So I noticed you said “d plugs” whatcha talkin bout. @pjsf25067

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Dummy plugs.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Well....I got one!! Picked up a nice 05' F250 with a little over 200,000 miles on it. It's in awesome shape....I can't believe how nice the interior is! It's drive great...the suspension and steering is nice and tight. The local diesel shop checked it out and gave it a clean bill of health. The only thing that bothers me a little be is that the EOT/ECT Delta-T's are around 12 degrees on the highway....so I think it's time for an oil cooler flush...or replace if that doesn't do the trick. Other than that it's perfect. The FICM voltage is good, the HPOP pressures are good, it runs great, and according to the dash display (for what that's worth), it get's around 18.5 mpg on the highway).

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
@iqraceworks nice truck! If you don’t mind me askin, what that set you back?
Last week I ended up selling my 04' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 for $10,000.........about double what the book value is for it, but it was in excellent shape. :grin:

The same day I sold my truck, I sold three little calves (cows)....for $2,400.

I ended up talking the sales guy down to $12,350 for the truck (they had it listed for $14,000)......I actually drove out of the car lot with $50 more in my pocket than I had the day before :wink:

I searched around for about a month for nice 05-07 F250's. This was by far nicer, drove better, and was better taken care of than any of the $16,000 trucks I looked at. The suspension and front end is tight, the interior is pretty much perfect, the paint is awesome, and the motor is completely stock.......except for a 4" turbo back exhaust with no cat or muffler (it's actually really quiet while cruising)

I think I did really good :wink:

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
10 degree deltas aren’t bad. I think you are good. When you get a 15 degree difference after engine is completely hot and it stays there or rises. That’s when you need to worry. Good choice! Nice find, hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
10 degree deltas aren’t bad. I think you are good. When you get a 15 degree difference after engine is completely hot and it stays there or rises. That’s when you need to worry. Good choice! Nice find, hope you enjoy it!
Ok, that's good to know. As far as Delta-T when towing a load.....does that same "not over 15 degree difference" still apply, or is it ok to have a wider spread when you are towing a load? Also, what's the max coolant and engine temp you can have and still be "safe"?

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Ok, that's good to know. As far as Delta-T when towing a load.....does that same "not over 15 degree difference" still apply, or is it ok to have a wider spread when you are towing a load? Also, what's the max coolant and engine temp you can have and still be "safe"?

Thanks for the info!
I tow my lawn trailer around and still don't see deltas more than 15 degrees apart. I've seen mine at 15 degree difference on hot days when pulling my trailer, but never passing 15 and staying there. Sometimes you can see a bigger spread if the engine isn't what I've heard people refer to as a "complete heat soak" (where the engine is completely up to temp and everything has under the hood is up to operating temp. But eventually after driving a while (like 30 minutes at least), it should settle back into the 15 degree spread or lower.

My temps have gone up to 215-220 on some hot days while towing. But normally without a load, I stay in the 190-195 range. Here lately with the cooler weather, I've been around 180-190 range. Deltas normally within 6-10 degrees of each other. Hopefully that clears it up for you some.

·
Registered
163 Posts
@iqraceworks nice truck! If you don’t mind me askin, what that set you back?
Last week I ended up selling my 04' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 for $10,000.........about double what the book value is for it, but it was in excellent shape.

The same day I sold my truck, I sold three little calves (cows)....for $2,400.

I ended up talking the sales guy down to $12,350 for the truck (they had it listed for $14,000)......I actually drove out of the car lot with $50 more in my pocket than I had the day before

I searched around for about a month for nice 05-07 F250's. This was by far nicer, drove better, and was better taken care of than any of the $16,000 trucks I looked at. The suspension and front end is tight, the interior is pretty much perfect, the paint is awesome, and the motor is completely stock.......except for a 4" turbo back exhaust with no cat or muffler (it's actually really quiet while cruising)

I think I did really good
Hell yes that’s a good *** deal. Good work. I wish I had the patience and foresight to look for the “perfect” truck.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts