Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post from newb. Got a sweet '97 that's about to make me deaf. Worst of all I can't hear any turbo or exhaust over the fan roar. I just put a new fan clutch (NAPA) on, cleaned radiator and condensor and inspected fan blades. It roars just as bad hot or cold. These old 7.3's are loud enough without that noise. Does anyone have any ideas. I'm considering an electric fan setup if I can find one stout enough.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well it sounds to me like the clutch in the fan is locked up and it's spinning all the time. I'd go buy a new fan or fix the clutch in your old one.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Definatly the fan hub,with engine off can you spin the fan easy or does it have alot of resistance?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clutch seems fine with the engine off. It spins pretty free. It starts to get loud about 2000 rpm. Cruising rpm is 2200 at 70 mph with 3.55 gears. Its pretty darn loud. If you wait to shift at 2500, it's real bad.

I've driven several OBS trucks and this one is much worse. I'm installing the Wildman chip in the morning and hate to have this spoil my fun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
the fan clutch should not spin easily when its cold, something is wrong?? it should be firm to spin with the engine cold and OFF.
an electric fan will not be able to cool, or flow enough air for the 7.3, please don't try it, it will be wasted money, and probably an overheated engine. fix the oem fan system.

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
JUST TAKE IT OUT I KNOW A COUPLE OF PEOPLE THAT TOOK THERE FAN OUT WITH NO ADVERSE EFFECTS AND I BEEN WAITING FOR A FREE CHANCE TO PULL MINE OUT

·
Registered
521 Posts
JUST TAKE IT OUT I KNOW A COUPLE OF PEOPLE THAT TOOK THERE FAN OUT WITH NO ADVERSE EFFECTS AND I BEEN WAITING FOR A FREE CHANCE TO PULL MINE OUT
Personally I would not try it. Here in AZ I have seen people toast their engine by doing this. I wouldn't monkey with a proven system.

As for the noise, my fan spins freely and easily while cold. And when it is 110* out side my fan rarly shuts off.

·
What u talkin bout willis
2,724 Posts
WELL I SEEN IT IN A TRUCK FOR TEXAS HEAT AND THAT DRIVES IN BIG CITY STOP AND GO TRAFFIC AND HE SAID NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jody I agree: I am down further south than you we run 3 different powerstrokes on jobsites where they often run most of the day. During those scorchers the fan will sometimes run non-stop. The noise never really got to me though. I don't think I'd take the fan off too risky.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just went and tried to spin mine, it's 80 degree's here today, the truck has not started today! the fan clutch does have a little resistance, i can not spin it more than 1/8 of a turn after my hand lets go of the blade. that i would say is not spinning easily. maybe our opinions of spinning freely are different. i feel that is some resistance. freely to me would be a half, or a full turn after my hand leaves the blade. my fan is in perfect working condition.
what is spinning freely to you guys? not locked up?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bad description on my part. It's not spinning freely. It seems to have about the normal amount of drag. NAPA guy (friend) said he would trade that one out and see if it helped if I wanted to. I just haven't had time to mess with it.

I installed a pile of goodies from Tony last Saturday so the fan clutch noise has been down on the list. Surprised the heck out of me. I took a die-hard duramax guy for a ride and he admitted he was impressed. Of course he had to slam the rough riding, squeeking, noisy OBS. I don't care, I just speeded up and let the fan mute him.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess I never really realized the up side to the fan. Nagging wife, smart a** friend..... just hammer it and smile like you care. The fan roar may not be so bad after all.:wink[3]:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts