Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Military Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!
I will apologize now for the novel but I need your help! I have a list of issues that I would like to get everyone’s advice on. There’s a simplified list of the questions at the bottom if you want to skip to that but in this section explains each question. I will start off with my first problem. Whenever I turn and lock my steering wheel from left or right while driving at low speeds, I hear a clunking noise almost as if my wheel is going to fall off. About 6 months ago I replaced the tie rod end because I was having similar sounds and that fixed the problem. I figured it was a bearing issue but when I talked to NAPA, they said that the month and year of my truck requires a whole new hub assembly (my truck was made in 09/2004). I took my driver’s side tire off and leaned over the side and tried to see if I had play in that U-joint that’s connects the 4WD to the front and I have a lot of play there (I did the same to the passenger’s side and the same type of play if not more). Also as a side note, when the tire is jacked up, there is NO play in the wheel at all if you push on the top of the tire. So there’s that. Next, my truck dies whenever I hit bumps. There not your normal cracks in the road but not like a bottomless pot hole. This concerns me because I was getting on the highway and hit a bump at 35-40mph and my truck died as I was turning (lost power steering), kind of scary but not too bad. Almost done here, I have 2 more short questions to go. I have substantial play in my steering wheel and I think it has a LOT to do with the steering gearbox. Could I be wrong? I doubt it would have anything to do with the hubs/bearing, or whatever it might be with the clunking. When I look through the driver’s side wheel well at the gear box, it looks caked in oil. Is there an easy way to tell if the whole things bad or if it’s just a seal? Last one. I have to replace my rear end ABS sensor that plugs in the rear diff. Is there anything I should know about before I replace it? Any expected issues or tricks to replace it? I have to get these items fixed because I am about to move 1600 miles and my truck and I am driving together. PLEASE HELP! Here is the recap of the questions above:
-How can I tell if I need to replace my entire hub assembly or jus t the bearing for the clunking noise?
-If it was the hub assembly or bearings, would that cause a lot of play in that u-joint? (Here’s a YouTube video that’s SIMILAR to the play I have:
)
-Would the steering gearbox have anything or everything to do with the amount of play in my steering wheel? And is there a way to tell if the entire G/B is bad or just a bad seal?
-Is there anything special I should know before I tear into the rear diff ABS sensor?

·
Registered
59 Posts
1.to the u joint. with locker out it should move as it did. when it is all together spin the wheel and see how much play there is. also take a pry bar and pry on it to see how much play there is.
2. I have a similar problem with my truck shutting off when i hit a bump. with truck running bang on the fuse box with your hand. If it shuts off check connections in the back first. I had to replace my fuse box to fix my problem.
3. the bearing is one piece. if you dont have alot of play i would doubt it is the bearing.
4. Gearbox should have an adjustment screw on top I beleive. with a jam nut. just loosen the nut and turn it until it takes away the play. It may help. did you check the u joints on the steering shaft?

Good luck.

·
Military Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. when you refered to the locker in the first answer, were you talking about locking the hubs manually and use a pry bar to see how much play I have in there then?
2. How much did that fuse box run you?
3. What bearing are you refering to? Are you talking about the steering bearing in the g/b?
4. I will check on the jam nut on top. Should I try to approach it from the hood (sorry im at work and I can't run out to my truck)? Also, i havent checked the u-joint there in the steering shaft. I will give that a try.

Sorry to answer these questions you asked with more questions. :D

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
1. when you refered to the locker in the first answer, were you talking about locking the hubs manually and use a pry bar to see how much play I have in there then?
2. How much did that fuse box run you?
3. What bearing are you refering to? Are you talking about the steering bearing in the g/b?
4. I will check on the jam nut on top. Should I try to approach it from the hood (sorry im at work and I can't run out to my truck)? Also, i havent checked the u-joint there in the steering shaft. I will give that a try.

Sorry to answer these questions you asked with more questions. :D
if he banged on fuse box and it shut of the pcm relay is bad! also make sure there is not a wire under the dash not rubbing on the steering column ive seen this on 4 penndot trucks and all 4 shut off going over bumps.

·
Military Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just want to give everyone an update. I took my truck up to a local dealership here in Oklahoma City Joe Cooper Ford and my usual tech up there, Jimmy, took a look at my truck. He did just what you guys said, with out any warning and punched my fuse box lol. Not hard of course but gave it a good rattle and sure enough, the truck died. Come to find out, when I was replacing a couple fuses a couple months back, I didnt seat the fuel pump fuse very well and actually placed it behind where they should go in so only one side of contacts where touching the pins ::doh::. He also looked at the hubs and he said that I need to expect SOME play in there. He said they have enough room in there to wiggle around just not excessive. He said the play I have is normal. The clunking noise could be a result of a number of things. He told me to do some tests on it and let him know (I havent done those yet). As for the play in the steering wheel. I discovered that the rubber boot for the drag link that connects right to the steering gear box has a tear and is leaking grease. When he got in the truck and played with the steering wheel, i can see significant play in that connection to the drag link. He said that should take care of some of that play. I do however still have a lot of unexplained oil or something in the drivers side wheel well. I may still need to replace that g/b but I may just take it to him and have him go through the ENTIRE front end and drive-train and fix what ever needs to be fixed. What do you guys think?

·
Military Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JUGERNAUT, I saw all you were in the Navy! bad *** man! Im currently in station at Tinker AFB. From one vet to another, thanks for serving our country!

·
Premium Member
2,056 Posts
JUGERNAUT, I saw all you were in the Navy! bad *** man! I'm currently in station at Tinker AFB. From one vet to another, thanks for serving our country!
i want to thank you to bro for your service and hope it was badassed as mine was.be very very quite at night shhhhh or they will find you.

·
Military Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just had a recent issue. I was traveling and the wrench symbol came on my dash. I turned my truck off and turned it back on and it went away. Hit the road again and the light came back. The truck seemed to be running fine when the light was on. Did sound like the RPM's were a bit higher. But nothing crazy. Cruising at 80 mph the truck was at about 2600 RPM. Any idea's what it could be?

·
Military Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I know its been awhile but I got my truck fixed. Come to find out it was my oil and SHE cooler was seeing a difference in temperature between the two. One of the two needed replacement and the other would need it soon too so I had them place them both. Total cost me 1500. Couldn't complain because the guy gave me a break in the price. Now im dealing with a blown turbo. Found an 03 turbo for my truck and had to buy a pedestal for it so it would fit my 05. Hopefully everything works out. The guys installing it today. I hope everything goes off without a hitch. Thanks for your help!

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide App

·
Military Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry not a SHE cooler nut the EGR cooler... damn auto spell on this phone lol.

·
Military Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lmao. No kidding! I need one too for my wife. God love her lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts