Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We had driven 680 miles home from Colorado and all of a sudden while running down the turnpike at 75 it started making a loud clattering sound, and blowing grey smoke out the exhaust. lost power. Got to the side of the road and had a wrecker bring it on home. There is raw diesel in the tail pipe and coolant all over the passenger side battery (may be unrelated.). Any ideas on where to start looking? It had a rough start idle the morning before but cleared right up and ran fine, figured it was the altitude (we were at 7700 ft). We had just got finished pulling my sons fifthwheel camper 750 miles to Colorado for him. Had a mechanic replace the glow plugs and re-seal the injectors about 3 months ago. Please any ideas of where to start would be most helpful. Hubby wants his truck running again. I am a good gasser mechanic but learning on the diesel.
Thank you and God Bless

·
Registered
571 Posts
Will it start?

Reactions: cccrn123

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

I have not tried starting it since we shut it off on the turnpike, I did not want to damage the engine further. I went out yesterday and tinkered with it after the storms passed thru for a minute before it got dark.. The radiator resovoir is empty and there is silver / gray residue in it and the oil is 4 inches over full on the dipstick. So I am thinking possibly head gasket. But then there is that loud clatter which I am thinking would not be consistent with a gasket. It was not the bang / thud sound like a rod. But I know there has to be a water jacket breach somewhere. There is also oil/ diesel all over the turbo.
Thank you for all your help. I am on the diesel learning curve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you... I figured out what happened. I had a mechanic do the re-seal on the injectors a couple months ago. Big mistake. I should've trusted myself and done it. (If you want it done right then do it yourself) He evidentially did not tighten down the oil shield on the 2nd injector right bank to the correct torque and it came loose. I am really sure from the marks on it that it got up under a rocker arm. Probably bent a valve, not sure yet but for sure the head gasket is blown on that side. The 1st injector had all kinds of gasket crud so now I am working on getting the heads off. I have been looking for a take down on the heads. I have to do it with the cab on because I am in my barn and do not have a hoist, cherry picker or an engine stand. Any ideas on how to make it easier?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Post some pics

Reactions: cccrn123

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I already wiped off the gasket junk off the injector. I do not have that head off. When I get it off I will post some pics. The truck ran under its own power into the barn. It was pouring diesel out of the exhaust and billowing grey/white smoke the whole way, but the clatter was gone. The crank case is full of coolant mixed with the oil, I pulled close to 2 gallons out just to get it down to a safe level so as not to blow out any seals, the oil is obviously mixed with water, milky and you can see the water in it. Where I found the oil deflector was under the back (towards the cab) rocker arm on the second injector from the front. It is the right bank. Nothing appears to be bent at the moment, but I am unsure of the valves until I get the head off. The right exhaust manifold and the exhaust side of the turbo is covered in wet diesel. I have changed head gaskets on gassers before many times. The last one I did was a 4 banger about 15 years ago. The positive way of looking at this is it is just a very heavy 4 banger on each side! :)

I am working on getting a shop manual for this thing, to get the take down procedure for the top half and then I will take the heads to the local machine shop for them to machine, magnaflux and rebuild them. I have to go slow. I got the hubby to help me with the heavy lifting. It's a bummer being a female and the only one in my whole darn family that knows anything about auto mechanics!

I sure do appreciate any and all input from you guys! I am just beginning the trek of making the beast great!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts