Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I am a brand new 2004 6.0 PowerStroke owner as of three days ago. After my purchase the family and I decided to head from the desert to the mountains for the weekend. Pulling the same load (6x12 trailer with 2 endures and camping gear) I used to pull in my 2000 expedition my new power house would not compete.

The Issues:

The first Hill I tried to pull the truck became doggy after down shifting with a large hum coming from motor let off accelerator truck up shifts and hum goes away and i would get a little more power but still pulling hill at 35 to 45. can hear Turbo wind up but don't get the boost. As I said it is new and have not yet added gauges or tuner.

While on flat ground accelerating can hear turbo wind and boost but when letting off peddle hear a sound that is best described a blow by (like a gas engine without a muffler) Is this normal don't remember hearing on other 6.0 I test drove.

Also replaced both fuel filters in the AutoZone parking lot while enroute and the Oil Filter after waking up to a massive oil leak from the filter cap. My best guess is that the O ring shrunk from the temp change going from 90's to 100's to below 50 deg overnight. after replacing oil leak is gone.

Drive home pulling last hill same issue with boost heard large pop and went from 50 to 35 almost instantly now it seems like I have no Boost at all. to add my fuel mileage is horrible at best guess I am at 8 to 10 MPG.

Any input will be greatly appreciated as I have a 15 day 500 mile warranty and am putting together a list for the dealer to get fixed. Kinda sucks took me 8 years to buy my PowerStroke and 2 days to have issues. Thanks in advance for any help.:icon_ford:

·
Premium Member
967 Posts
If they're going to warranty this thing for a short period of time, get a monitoring device on it ASAFP and see what the condition of the FICM, EGR, and Oil coolers are. Also man, we need to know more details like miles on the truck and what not. I would say that your turbo needs cleaning and that you have vanes that are sticking wich is why your boost sucks. As far as that weird noise you're hearing, does it sound like the truck in the video at about 10 seconds? It's referred to as turbo fart and happens when you let off on the gas. Basically, the built up boost needs to escape somewhere and it comes back through the turbo and out the intake. Did you get an Oasis report on this thing before buying it? Sounds like you might of went head first into this one without knowing the history which is risky bud. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
The Issues:

The first Hill I tried to pull the truck became doggy after down shifting with a large hum coming from motor let off accelerator truck up shifts and hum goes away and i would get a little more power but still pulling hill at 35 to 45. can hear Turbo wind up but don't get the boost. As I said it is new and have not yet added gauges or tuner.

While on flat ground accelerating can hear turbo wind and boost but when letting off peddle hear a sound that is best described a blow by (like a gas engine without a muffler) Is this normal don't remember hearing on other 6.0 I test drove.
It sounds as though the turbo was recently removed from the truck and there is an exhaust leak due to the fact that the y-pipe is not mated to the turbo inlet properly.
There is a clamp that goes around this connection that, if you didn't know better, you would assume that the clamp would pull the connection together. It won't. You will have to loosen the clamp to where you you open it up enough to get the body of the clamp onto the turbo body as far away from the connection as you can, but in position to get it back in place. You have to get the y-pipe all the way into that connection, hold it there, then get the clamp on it and tighten it.

Also replaced both fuel filters in the AutoZone parking lot while enroute and the Oil Filter after waking up to a massive oil leak from the filter cap. My best guess is that the O ring shrunk from the temp change going from 90's to 100's to below 50 deg overnight. after replacing oil leak is gone.
You will have to replace those filters soon. You MUST use FORD/Motorcraft fliters everywhere on your truck (unless you use international or Raycor). Using ANY other aftermarket filter can cause serious damage. The filters have patented features on them that engage other pieces within the housings. If the parts do not engage properly, (for instance the oil filter), you will effectively open a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the oil filter housing and it is draining straight to the oil pan.

Drive home pulling last hill same issue with boost heard large pop and went from 50 to 35 almost instantly now it seems like I have no Boost at all. to add my fuel mileage is horrible at best guess I am at 8 to 10 MPG.
You blew a boost boot. Pop the hood and look over the blue rubber/silicone boots. One of them has failed. I suggest replacing all of them since, if one is gone, the other is not far behind it. Even if it looks "connected" it has failed. Remove them and inspect them off the truck since there is no way to see all the way around it when it is installed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mileage is 111328. Did get service history and CarFax that showed 60,000 mile service done at ford dealer in CO.

Sound I was descibing is turbo fart and I can assume this is normal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will have to replace those filters soon. You MUST use FORD/Motorcraft fliters everywhere on your truck (unless you use international or Raycor). Using ANY other aftermarket filter can cause serious damage. The filters have patented features on them that engage other pieces within the housings. If the parts do not engage properly, (for instance the oil filter), you will effectively open a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom of the oil filter housing and it is draining straight to the oil pan.
Already planned on replaceing with MotorCraft Fram was all that was avail in the small town we were near. Thanks for the great info any ideas on the fuel milage?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts