Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I bought a 2005 ford f350 Lariat...It seems that there was a little story about it. I had a cracked Y pipe, a ruptured oil cooler and many other problems. When I bought the truck in my mechanic mentioned that the turbo was not sitting correctly on the Y pipe and that the Y pipe was cracked.

Two weeks later my mechanic fixed me:
Oil cooler
MBRP Y pipe ( brand new)
Ipr
all gaskets (turbo, manifold, hpop and more)
Prestone Hoses
egr valve (which keeps givign me P0401) If anyone could help with that)

I go start the truck and it sounds like a leak with a shhhhhhhhhhhhh turbo hissing in the back of the engine... He claims he did a smoke test and did not see any leaks... IM not sure what this is, I know it has to be turbo/air related because when I push the truck its missing power....
Also when i got the truck back I went on a rough drive to torque and run the truck and I blew the return hose of the turbo going to the intercooler... Not sure if mechanic did not clamp it right or if something is building pressure wrong

If you guys have any idea , please help me I want my truck running right....

·
Administrator
21,637 Posts
Just so Im clear, you want us to tell you to replace the charge boots?
I would find a new mechanic if he did all that work and didnt suggest boots.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just so Im clear, you want us to tell you to replace the charge boots?
I would find a new mechanic if he did all that work and didnt suggest boots.
I assume the charge boots is the blue rubber piece that holds the turbo and intercooler pipe together? If yes I have all the proper clamps and charge boots seemed okay. Do you still suggest i change them?

·
Administrator
21,637 Posts
they are a wear item, if they pop off they are not ok.
Get a new set of boots and clamps.

If you have one, I would also replace the plastic charge pipe

You can google all of this if you need more detail/pics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are a wear item, if they pop off they are not ok.
Get a new set of boots and clamps.

If you have one, I would also replace the plastic charge pipe

You can google all of this if you need more detail/pics.
To you knowledge do you think this is what is causing that hissing noise? Its pretty loud and I can hear it in the cab? Also my engine fan spins so loudly... any idea on that?

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Sounds like the Y pipe is not seated on the turbo -- smoke test or not -- the hissing and low power is a giveaway
The boots/hoses have a notch on the pipes that locks the pipe and boot/hose to each other when the clamp is positioned properly

Reactions: bismic

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like the Y pipe is not seated on the turbo -- smoke test or not -- the hissing and low power is a giveaway
The boots/hoses have a notch on the pipes that locks the pipe and boot/hose to each other when the clamp is positioned properly
Can you explain me this part a little better "The boots/hoses have a notch on the pipes that locks the pipe and boot/hose to each other when the clamp is positioned properly "
and also how can i check if its seated right i put my hand dont feel air

·
Administrator
21,637 Posts
Nick, I think you need to spend a little time googling...

6.0 Y pipe leaks

6.0 charge boots

6.0 hissing air

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
You can make a tester from a 4 inch Fernco coupling and a pvc pipe cap -- attach that to the turbo inlet and pressurize with regulated air to 20 psi -- there are vids to show this
this setup will test the intake side of the air system -- it can also be used on the exhaust

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can make a tester from a 4 inch Fernco coupling and a pvc pipe cap -- attach that to the turbo inlet and pressurize with regulated air to 20 psi -- there are vids to show this
this setup will test the intake side of the air system -- it can also be used on the exhaust
Yah I will be doing this, saw the video last night... Its just because I'm 99% sure its the Y Pipe because my mechanic already had a hard time getting it straight.... then he redid it again and said it was good but I really doubt it..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nick, I think you need to spend a little time googling...

6.0 Y pipe leaks

6.0 charge boots

6.0 hissing air
Thank you, Yes I've seen quite a few videos and can guess its the Y pipe, Also called ford and both Ford Charge boots on the hot side are on back order and have no clue when they will come in.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thank you, Yes I've seen quite a few videos and can guess its the Y pipe, Also called ford and both Ford Charge boots on the hot side are on back order and have no clue when they will come in.
If your sure it's the y pipe, look at a couple things. One is the egr cooler delete. There is either a replacement pipe between the y pipe and passenger side exhaust manifold, or a cap at the same spot. Crawl under the truck and look! Then, while the truck is running, crawl back under it and look/listen for exhaust leaks. A light weight piece of paper held near the exhaust connections will show "blowing" which is not normal. It does not hurt to do a full inspection of the exhaust system for leaks /holes/rust.
As far as the CAC boots go, the "elbow" boot from the turbo to the CAC pipe cracks at the underside of the boot. It's hard to see, unless you remove the boot and squeeze it together. If there's a crack, it'll show up. There are 3 boots and the stupid plastic pipe that should all be replaced (just do it). Get the metal /aluminum cold side cac pipe and 4 boot set, with new clamps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My truck was having similar symptoms a exhaust leak sound and lack of boost. It ended up being my egr valve was loose even though it’s been deleted the valve is still in place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts