Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will try and make this short,
Anyways, I have used Amsoil 15w-40 the last three changes, I am not impressed. The last two reports back from Blackstone have not been so good.
Higher than average wear metals, and a very low viscosity number. When I bought the truck at 46k it had Dino oil run through it it's whole life, no problems. I decided to change it to synthetic because of all the hype about it.

Blackstone is highly recommending me to change it back to dino, and that synthetic is not all that great anyways. The last report, after only 500 miles showed 12ppm iron, and 3ppm aluminum, sus viscosity 67.9. viscosity already being below the should-be range! They said they don't think the engine has a problem, just the oil is a problem. So, is Rotella the way to go? Please help me decide, and also, can it hurt an engine to switch back and forth like that?

Thanks a bunch!

·
a truck
13,142 Posts
Im not sure about hurting the engine but I really dont think it will, as far as Rotella that is what I run in my truck and its all Ive run and it works fine I change it every 5,000 miles and its only 11 bucks a gallon

·
Stupidity pisses me off
3,885 Posts
Man that bums me out! I put amsoil 5w40 in my rig for the first time about 4K miles ago. I used to run Dello 15/40

How do I get a test kit?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
through Blackstone. Go to blackstone-labs.com, and click free test kit. Ya that sucks, Amsoil is not exactly cheap either! These engines should purr running it, not crap out! It's 22.50 for the test, but I think if you mention Thedieselstop.com they drop it to 20 bucks instead.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I use rotella and like it. This is the first time I've heard negative talk about AMs. I do not think you will hurt the engine by changing oil.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
rotella plays hell on 6 liter injectors..

try valvoline premium blue..I and many many other have had very good luck with it. You can find it at NAPA..I run the 5w40 year around.

Changing brands, viscosity or from synthetic to non synthetic makes no difference. Its a machine..it cannot tell when you switch.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I will try and make this short, but I could go on forever!
Anyways, I have used Amsoil 15w-40 the last three changes, I am not impressed. The last two reports back from Blackstone have not been so good.
Higher than average wear metals, and a very low viscosity number. When I bought the truck at 46k it had Dino oil run through it it's whole life, no problems. I decided to change it to synthetic because of all the hype about it.

Blackstone is highly recommending me to change it back to dino, and that synthetic is not all that great anyways. The last report, after only 500 miles showed 12ppm iron, and 3ppm aluminum, sus viscosity 67.9. viscosity already being below the should-be range! They said they don't think the engine has a problem, just the oil is a problem. So, is Rotella the way to go? Please help me decide, and also, can it hurt an engine to switch back and forth like that?

Thanks a bunch!
Kane
Thank you I was looking at running Amsoil, just the cost and the fuel savings would not off set it and to run 20,000 does not.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am trying to avoid a synthetic all together if possible, just to expensive. How does the Rotella hurt the injectors if I may ask? Is it just harder for the injectors to function with a thicker oil? I am thinking that if I do use a thicker oil the engine will be quiet again, let us hope! I know that there now is a Rotella 5w40 synthetic, maybe similar to the valvoline? What about it? And what about the standard Rotella 15w-40 oil, any votes?

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
I'm a 100% believer in Rotella T!!! It's all I've ever run (save for when I take the truck to Jiffy Lube) and all I ever WILL run. Though it sucks b/c my local parts store doesn't stock Rotella T anymore!!! :(

·
Registered
659 Posts
wal-mart has it cheap too,rotella is all i run in all my diesel stuff my cat loader at work loves it,same injector style and that thing has crazy hours on it and still runs perfect.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
schaeffer's 7000 or delo 15w-40 are what I swear by. Doug and Adam use that valvoline stuff but I can't find it anywhere. From my "research" and random reading of oil threads, shaeffer's gets the best reviews.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts