Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My actuaters are very week I ordered new ones, but I'm trying so hard to figure out why my drivers switch is not working, on test light both unlock and lock wires light up when I hit the drivers switch, but the actuaters do not make noise, but if I hit the passengers switch both lock and unlock make noise, if I hit it enough they will lock but not unlock, ordered new ones but want to figure out the wiring issue before they arrive please help I checked wires in boot

·
Super Moderator
19,524 Posts
Is it possible the driver's side switch is on it's way out? Works 'enough' to to show a signal, but not strong enough to activate the actuators?

·
Registered
99 f350 7.3, 8inch lift, 37x13.50's
11 Posts
Typeonegative, there is no easy solution to your problem. First of all, you need to check for voltage both in and out of the switch with a volt meter to be sure you have a full 12 volts. A test light is good for a quick check but won't tell you if there is enough voltage to actually operate the actuator. You'll also need a wiring diagram for your make and model of truck. Find the power wires running from the switch to the actuator in question and check for power with the volt meter on each end of the wire. You should have no less than 11volts on each end. I'm assuming your batteries are fully charged. If you have voltage coming out of the switch and none at the actuator then you probably have a broken wire. You can confirm this with an ohm meter. Just make sure to disconnect the connectors at the switch and actuator before checking for continuity in the wire. If you don't have continuity then you have a broken wire. Either trace the wire to find and repair the break ( that's the correct fix ), or run a whole new wire. If you find that you have voltage to the actuator on each of the correct wires then either the actuator is bad or you don't have a good ground. Again check the ground wire for continuity and repair as you would for the power wire. Also check to make sure all the connections are good. It can be a very time consuming process and very frustrating also. Don't be in a hurry and think about what you're doing. It's not difficult if you have a basic knowledge of electricity and know how to read a wiring diagram. If you don't then you probably know someone that can and would probably be willing to show you how. If you have to pay a mechanic to do it then expect to pay an expensive repair bill. Electrical problems are generally time consuming to repair and therefore tend to be pricey. Although this particular problem shouldn't be too bad. I really hope this helps you get your problem fixed. If I can help you further just ask. Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
this is a good example of irritating interior electrical issues that plague Fords. I have had almost zero problems with my driveline, brakes and front end.
Electrical stuff is a different story.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was a short in the wire I never found it but ran new wires to locks and replaced weak actuaters working like new!

·
Registered
99 f350 7.3, 8inch lift, 37x13.50's
11 Posts
Glad you were able to figure it out. Electrical problems can be a nightmare to figure out. I've been dealing with them all my life and sometimes they drive me nuts trying to figure them out. I just got my current Super Duty and the wiring is a mess. The previous owner really butchered the wiring under the dash. He obviously didn't know anything about how to wire anything so I'm having to go wire by wire in order to get all the bugs worked out. I guess you could say it's a work in progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts