Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much play do you guys have in your steering wheel? I have some that is kind of a pian and i wonder if it's normal...
Thanks!:woot:

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have noticed mine since I bought it. Asked Ford and they said everything was ok. It has gotten alittle better since I put on the F550 front springs though.

-Funkster-

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have the same problem, feels like I am rolling the wheel left and right at least a couple of inches to stay in a straight line. I wonder if there is a different fluid you can use or make an adjustment? My Nissan titan steers like a car on rails my PStroke steers like a UHaul.......help!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say it's not slack in the steering but tires. Check for proper inflation and rotate.
I have to disagree.... it did it when it had the OEM 20's on it right from the lot. It did it when I put the 22's on there....

as stated you have to play a lot with it. My F150 was like my 350Z...

any other thoughts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree, mine did it with stock 17's and now still does it with my 18's It is a steering tolerance issue of some sort, I was hoping there was an adjustment or maybe a power steering fluid change or something that could help...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow good to know Im not the only one. I just bought the truck used roughly two weeks ago coming out of a chevy feels like I am hammered trying to keep a stright line

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have never noticed any play in my steering wheel and I am very anal about issues

·
Registered
725 Posts
I have 40's and Hydr. assist but before I did notice a lot of play in my steering. I tightened up my steering box after I got the new hydr. assist.

·
Registered
100 Posts
How did you tighten up your steering box?

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I have always felt that a Ford handles a lot different from a Chevy. I just thought you had to get used to it.

You might have someone barely move the steering wheel and watch to see if the wheels are moving. You should be able to see where the slack is if there is any. Could be the suspension is just not rigid enough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On the top of the box they have an allen bolt with a locking nut you need to loosen the locking nut and turn the allen bolt. Make sure you mark the original postion just in case.
Which way do you turn it? Clockwise or counterclockwise? How much do you turn it to start with.

·
Registered
659 Posts
turn the allen head clockwise to make less play but only go a fraction at a time or the truck will try to trail when you drive it.it is the only adjustment,changing fluid will do nothing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts