Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Breaking in and stealing a truck are two different things. I have read that these trucks require the transponder key to start, making them virtually impossible to steal without a key. Did I read wrong?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Breaking into most trucks these days is pretty easy. And alarms are very easy to disable (unless you have a hidden backup battery), especially if it's a 2-man crew. Most organized thefts are 2 or 3 people. The solo guys usually just break a window, grab, and dash.

That is odd though that they took the gun and not the tuner.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Breaking into most trucks these days is pretty easy. And alarms are very easy to disable (unless you have a hidden backup battery), especially if it's a 2-man crew. Most organized thefts are 2 or 3 people. The solo guys usually just break a window, grab, and dash.

That is odd though that they took the gun and not the tuner.
This is probably the most accurate post yet!!! 99.999% correct

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had my Glock 33 stolen the same way. Luckily, it was recovered the next year, and still in perfect shape. I no longer leave the gun in there without it being cable locked to the seat brackets, and that's only if I had to.

They got in my passenger door by opening the lock somehow. It was damaged at the 6:00 position...a dimple in the plastic under the lock mechanism, and the lock is slightly bent. Funny thing is it still works with a key and electronically as if nothing happened. Once they find the gun, it's like a jackpot, and they usually ignore the rest of your stuff. They left my $225 sunglasses alone.

·
Registered
330 Posts
These threads terrify me. Not so much in Ohio, but when I move back to Vegas.

Do insurance companies cover aftermarket audio equipment (amps and stealthbox) when they are stolen?

·
Registered
301 Posts
As far as bling goes it may make a difference but it didn't with mine. I have a XL with no electronic options, no carpet, bench seat, 18" steelies. Plain as you can get. Wife had the truck in the Walgreen parking lot and some schmuck punched out door lock rumaged through and got a little change.

My solution (since I don't have electric locks) is just don't lock it and if you don't want it stolen don't leave it in there. Kind of an achaic solution but as said, if someone want's in the truck they will get in. Oh, and I carry full coverage insurance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It takes all of 2-3 seconds to pop a window in a vehicle and get inside. They want the gun for a variety of reasons with the biggest being they can make good money off of it. I tell people if you dont want something leave it in your vehicle because somebody will come and steal it.

·
Govy Magnet
714 Posts
It is very unfortunate to have your vehicle broken into. I am very sorry to hear this, and I wish there was something we can do about it. I think above all else there is something we can do! Pay attention to alarms and stay alert! I love the U.S. its a great country, but like every other country, there are jerks that ruin it for the rest of us. I look forward to coming home, and I will, like always walk up to a vehicle with the alarm going off...hopefully I can at least make the difference for one person.

~Phil

P.S. Thank god most thieves think that stereos and GPS's are the only things worth some money, I keep my 45 locked to the seat rail as well...but my stereo was 100 bucks, and I don't have a GPS...but my gauges are worth more hehe

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,740 Posts
It sucks that this happens so much.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts