Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Wednesday the wife and I are going to head out on a road trip. We will be leaving out of Lawton and going to Rapid City to see MT Rushmore and tool around there, then Heading west to see Devils Tower in WY and then comming down through Colorado to see Denver before returning to Lawton. Plan to be on the road about ten days.

We were going to take the car but the more we think about it the more we want to take the truck. We dont really care about the fuel mialege.

So any one have any advice on the truck, the trip or anything at all?

·
IBEW Journeyman Lineman
772 Posts
I went with my family when I was younger on that same trip only leaving and returning to MO. I don't know the time of year but was supposed to be nice, we ended up wearing sweat pants and hoodies everyday because to weather turned out terrible. This was before everyone could look up Doppler on their phone, but the trip was still alot of fun. The badlands were amazing and learned alot of native american history. Take the truck, you will enjoy it. We did the trip in a 1990 Bronco and being comfortable was a major plus on that long of a road trip. Have fun!

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I am looking forward to taking the truck as I know it will be a much more enjoyable experience.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Taking a cross-country trip in these big Crew-Cabs are amazing. If mileage ain't the issue, fire that diesel up and enjoy. Gives ya a good chance to see your mileage on the open road, and with that stop in Denver the altitude.

As for the particulars of the 6.4L, someone else will chime in.

Best of Luck, Ryan.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. As long as we are in Colorado we are going to go to the top of Pikes Peak. If your in the area you want to grab a cup of coffee up there?

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I live north of denver in Fort Collins, Let me know when your coming through if you want to stop and grab a beer or bite to eat. That trip will be an enjoyable one. The weather is still nice up in that area. Get ready for some nasty headwinds driving west through Neb and Wyo.

·
Dont Mess With Texas!
5,788 Posts
good luck on the trip bro, we drove to Baton Rouge LA for a buddy here on the .org's wedding last week and we took the exploder because we firured it would rain, and we had 2 sets of golf clubs and our suit cases and all that good ****, still wishing i would have taken the truck

·
Registered
258 Posts
take the truck and get pics of it everywhere .....

·
Registered
383 Posts
Make sure to go see Crazy Horse! You need to take the tour of it, it's amazing. That is beautiful country out there. Have fun and be safe.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live north of denver in Fort Collins, Let me know when your coming through if you want to stop and grab a beer or bite to eat. That trip will be an enjoyable one. The weather is still nice up in that area. Get ready for some nasty headwinds driving west through Neb and Wyo.
That would be nice. Will have to stop by.
good luck on the trip bro, we drove to Baton Rouge LA for a buddy here on the .org's wedding last week and we took the exploder because we firured it would rain, and we had 2 sets of golf clubs and our suit cases and all that good ****, still wishing i would have taken the truck
I am so glad we took the truck. It has been great.
take the truck and get pics of it everywhere .....
I have been so far. LOL
Make sure to go see Crazy Horse! You need to take the tour of it, it's amazing. That is beautiful country out there. Have fun and be safe.
I will be seeing it tomorrow.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Enjoy Rapid City! I live in Argyle Texas but my Grandparents are from there. My dad was born right down the road in Sturgis. I have spend many summers up there, fishing camping and hiking. The Black Hills are beautiful this time of year and there are hundreds of ATV trails. When I had my F250 I would drive it up there and tow the 4 wheelers up with me. When going to Mt. Rushmore make sure to take the truck on Iron Mountain road. There is plenty of other stuff to do around that area too. One last tip. I'm not sure what route you are taking up there but I usually go up to Salina KS and hang a left. From there it is about 100 miles west to the city of Hays KS. I usually stay the night here. Consider going to Gella's Diner & Brewery Company in downtown Hays. The food is amazing and their beer is awesome. From there just have fun and stay safe.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mammoth Site and the second and fifth longest caves in the world today.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In Lusk WY for the night .

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
We want MPG figures and truck pics lol glad you're having fun.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Working on all of it.

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Home now. What a trip/ Over 3000 miles

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It feels good. Truck performed awesome. Took it over Fall River Pass (12,490ft) and Pikes Peak (14,110ft). Only thing I noticed was that the glow plugs stay on for ever at high altitude even though it was t-shirt weather at both places.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts