Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ALL,
Looking for advice, comments & consultation about my planned build.
History; 2014 CCLBDRW F-450 Platinum. 102,000 miles and had symptoms of the dreaded "CATASTROPHIC HPFP FAILURE"... Luckily I was exiting the highway and coasting into a convenience store when the first symptoms were evident. At the stoplight, when I applied throttle, I noticed the engine missing. I coasted up to the fuel island and shut it off. The first thing I did was open the petcok(I know it's spelled wrong but it kept getting sensored) drain plug on the frame rail fuel conditioner... No evidence of water, went inside for my daily breakfast taco hoping for the best (maybe a little rest and everything would be fine...) No luck, when I started it back up the same missing cylinder fire, then the engine light came on. I idled off the fuel island and parked out of the way to wait for a tow. I plugged up my little Bluetooth connector for the Torque app and pulled codes. Two cylinders (2&4) threw code "cylinder contribution". After I got it home I started it back up to idle up under the carport for the teardown to begin. I got the HPFP out and on the bench to disassemble waiting for the obvious. Pulled out the plungers and no evidence of scoring much less galling. I then proceeded to take out the shaft to inspect the cam lobes. Same, no scoring or galling. Just normal wear and not much of that. Next, I proceeded to disassemble the rest of the fuel system. First I pulled out the fuel pressure regulator from the back of the driver's side fuel rail manifold to get a fuel sample. Next, the other side,(plug at the rear). Clean fuel. The only sign of contamination I found was a minuscule water droplet on top of the No.4 injector when I removed the line. I really took care of this truck. My maintenance schedule was on point. If the ECU told me to do it, I DID IT! I always used the expensive darn Motorcraft filter kits, Rotella T6 synthetic. I even had the Tranny & both cooling systems flushed @ 75,000 (APPROX.) The only thing I haven't done at this point is the front and rear diff lube change & that was coming shortly until the breakdown. I know the failure-prone turbo will be next so I might as well get it over with by replacing all the weak links to this potential powerhouse of a motor and "Wake her up". Anyway, I'm getting a little long-winded so here it goes... Parts estimated for the build;
• 2015+ Exergy CP4.2 10MMStroker HPFP(In eBay shopping cart)
• BD Diesel Scorpion S634.5SX-E / S636SX-E / S639SX-E Turbo Kit -2011-2014 Ford 6.7L F250/F350(In walmart.com shopping cart)(I need to keep Daily driving and towability)
• Exergy or Direct Injection Diesel injectors (2015-current/ Still TBD)
• 11thru 19 Super Duty OEM Ford 6.7L Diesel Updated Injector Hold Down Clamp Kit(In eBay shopping cart)
• DK EGR Cooler Valve Delete Kit(In eBay shopping cart)
• Pro-Flo 5" Stainless Exhaust with Muffler - 2011-19 Ford 6.7L Powerstroke(In eBay shopping cart)
• EZ Lynk system with tunes(Tunes TBD)(probably SPE)
Questionable items;
• Airdog II 4G (A6SABF489) 165 GPH FUEL LIFT PUMP & SUMP FOR 2011-2016 FORD POWERSTROKE DIESEL(In eBay shopping cart)
• Do I need to have any percentage over on injectors? (Exergy or Direct Injection Diesel injectors 2015-current/ Still TBD)
• Do I Stay with 2011-2014 Injectors or buy new 2015 to current? I also have the option to have S&S or Exergy refurbish, balance and built to suit, MY EXISTING INJECTORS(maybe less ECU programming involved???)IDK
• Decision on who to contract for the tunes. (Thinking about SPE if I can't find anybody local Houston area to dyno tune)

As you can see, There's fixin' ta be ALOT of $$$ on the line so I'm reaching out to the experts for consultation.
OR... I guess I could save a bunch of dough by replacing a couple of injectors and wait for the turbo to detonate!>:)

Thanks in advance!
Looking forward to comments & or critisisms.:haha:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just bought a 2014 F350 a couple days ago. I'm hopping on your train for everyone's advice. Im used to 7.3s and 6.0s. Never hurts to take in more knowledge about a topic. As for your over injectors questions, you dont need to but you can. You mentioned retaining towability. In general, if you do a lot of towing, you dont want to go too far with the performance increases. The transmission doesnt do well with high hp and towing since both put a lot of strain on it. Now if you're going to get a built a trans, then you can do more. I'm not saying you cant up the injectors at all it's just a matter of using some common sense. As for getting the injectors rebuilt/modified, what's the turn around time? Can you live with that turn around time? Unless the injectors are damaged, I have never had a problem with going rebuilts/modified.

·
Premium Member
11,999 Posts
In TX?? Load that thing up, head to San Antonio, stop at TruckSourceDiesel (TSD), make a plan. I'm sure you would come away quite happy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts