Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this on the 911 engine forum http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/engine-911/45968-excessive-blowby.html but now I think this is a better spot for it. I posted some pictures over there.
I burned a hole in #8 piston and damaged #2 and #4. This truck, 2000 F450 has been used quite hard most of it's life. I'm the third owner and really don't all of the histroy behind the truck.
Now I'm looking for a good source for a Duel pyro gauge and twin thermocouplers for the exhaust. I want to place them pre-turbo. Where is a good place to put the thermocouplers? What is a good brand of gauge?
Thanks Ken Gardner

·
Registered
372 Posts
Drill and tap your thermocoupler for your gauge into your exhaust manifold.

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
Just buy two pyro gauges/pyro's and put one in each exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Why is it that the 7.3 seems to have a track record about this #8 piston problem?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Why is it that the 7.3 seems to have a track record about this #8 piston problem?
Could it be the way the fuel system is setup,hence the LL#8 and so forth:dunno:?

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Could it be the way the fuel system is setup,hence the LL#8 and so forth:dunno:?
Definately think so...
Why do i not here about the 6.0s with this problem...same deadhead fuel set up?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
which one

Drill and tap your thermocoupler for your gauge into your exhaust manifold.
Does it matter which side? I would think the left, (Drivers) side due to the #8 problem. I would like to moniter both sides.
Ken Gardner

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump

Anymore input as far as using one ETG? Where is the best place to put it? Right side or Left.

·
Registered
76 Posts
drivers side is the easiest .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Got the honing done a couple days ago. Didn't take much to get the scratches out of #2. I did find some deeper gouges in #8 but have decided to go with it anyway, they are at the very top of the cylinder. I realize this is a gamble but money is tight right now and I need to get the truck back on the road. If I can get through the summer I will have enough money to rebuild the doner engine and trade them out when things slow down again this fall.
I found a plugged piston oiler on #8. Also found that it had the wrong thermostat. Based on info from this site, DIESELSITE 203* Thermostat
I had replaced the thermostat with one from the parts house but it was the short style. Secondly, there is a temp probe inserted in the waterpump housing that prevented the thermostat from completely closing the "Bypass" outlet when the engine was up to operating temp.

Notice the temp probe against the bypass port.
Anyone have an opinion on the DIESELSITE 203* Thermostat
Is this a $$ ripoff or is it worth the money? Is there a better place to buy one?
Ken Gardner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts