Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic who is a Ford tech to me on all the 6.0 piston or ring failures he has ever seen, 90% of them occurred in number 3 or 5 cylinders . Can anyone tell me why this is? And if there is pm to solve the problem?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, but curious about to stop this from happening , I just had a slow leak on head gasket

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
gotta be coincidence!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Maybe something to do with enough coolant getting into the cylinders which is an incompressible fluid. That could cause issues for sure if the pressure gets too great. As for why just those cylinders, it could have something to do with the intake manifold and it's distribution of the coolant.:rofl: You could guess a million things that COULD cause a piston or ring problem. Just drive the thing and quit worrying about it. If it blows the gaskets then stud it and put your foot into it.:woot:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's it its getting studded now and i hear that a lot of guys still have gasket issues even after the studs

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dude you worry too much. Just drive the thing. If you eventually need to fix it then just get the heads decked and put OEM gaskets in. You will be fine. And I thought my blood pressure was high :hehe:

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
that's it its getting studded now and i hear that a lot of guys still have gasket issues even after the studs
The VAST majority of the repeat failures are due to an improper job being done the first time. You are already doing the most you can do without pulling the motor and building it up again. As long as you have FLAT heads (checked flat and pressure checked), use OEM gaskets, and torque the studs to at least 210ft-lbs of torque, you should be fine.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The VAST majority of the repeat failures are due to an improper job being done the first time. You are already doing the most you can do without pulling the motor and building it up again. As long as you have FLAT heads (checked flat and pressure checked), use OEM gaskets, and torque the studs to at least 210ft-lbs of torque, you should be fine.
Just wanted to add , property cleaned and surfaced block.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Maybe something to do with enough coolant getting into the cylinders which is an incompressible fluid. That could cause issues for sure if the pressure gets too great. As for why just those cylinders, it could have something to do with the intake manifold and it's distribution of the coolant.:rofl: You could guess a million things that COULD cause a piston or ring problem. Just drive the thing and quit worrying about it. If it blows the gaskets then stud it and put your foot into it.:woot:
The intake manifold doesn't distribute any coolant anywhere. There is simply a return path for the coolant from the egr cooler to the water pump about 3" long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts