Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the system that i am using is 55 gal metal drums. i have welded bushings into the drums. i noticed when screwing the element into the bushing, the threads were a bit snug and not able get the element all the way screwed in. do you guys think high temp silicone would seal the threads? any suggestions on this topic?

·
Registered
223 Posts
teflon tape and black pipe dope

·
Registered
313 Posts
i second the teflon tape, the pipe dope make sure to read what you can use it for. gasolia pipe dope you can use with some fuels I dont think your going to find this at home depot, your best bet is to go to a plumbing supply store and tell them what you need.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Your fitting is NPT thread and the element isn't i don't think.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
yea make sure the pipe is the same thread as the element, and i third the teflon tape but i use white pipe dope on everything i use and it works, that black stuff is messy as hell, i buy the loctite of of the magazine about 65.00 a tube, works great

·
Registered
223 Posts
black is messy but api approved for process piping threaded connections . I know it is industry standard up here on oil and gas leases but im sure the white would be fine

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
Honestly you only need one or the other. If you use black or white dope you really don't need teflon. If you use teflon you don't need the dope but it helps if you ever remove it.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Did you weld the bushings into the bottom half of the barrel i hope?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I would cut a piece of 1/4" rubber gasket material and slip it over the element's threads, then crank it down to compress the rubber. That would be a good positive seal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, the bushings are welded and have been tested for any leaks.
i have some of the white loctite pipe dope i think i am going to try out.
will let u all know how it goes:icon_ford:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I swear by teflon paste.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
I would cut a piece of 1/4" rubber gasket material and slip it over the element's threads, then crank it down to compress the rubber. That would be a good positive seal.
I agree...but if the threads are different, you will need to address that first.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
yOU COULD ALSO USE LAMP WICK AND SOME WHITE PIPE DOPE. THAT WOULD FOR SURE SEAL ANY THREADS FROM LEAKING.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts