Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My shocks arrived and I got them installed on Sat. At the advice of 4ds4me I replaced my lower mount bolts (4ea) with new and you'll see why in the pics. The factory bolts tend to either corrode down or wear down so installing freshies should help. Also you'll notice the new shocks bodies and pistons are quite abit larger than the old RS9000s and the factory FX4 Ranchos as well.

New Ranchos combined with new swaybar bushings make the truck ride like new even with my 14ply 19.5s

snoboy

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
I installed my 9000XL's a couple weeks ago, and compared to the stock "Rancho/Monroe" or whatever they are it sure rides better. At 35k my left front was totally gone, no abuse or severe driving. I did not install the boots on my front, good or bad?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed my 9000XL's a couple weeks ago, and compared to the stock "Rancho/Monroe" or whatever they are it sure rides better. At 35k my left front was totally gone, no abuse or severe driving. I did not install the boots on my front, good or bad?

They sure are an improvement. As to no boots, I'm not sure if it's good or bad but just curious as to why. It's not a difficult task to install the boots and it seems it would keep road debris from sandblasting the pistons over time. Do you agree?

·
Raging Lunatic
8,803 Posts
More of a look thing to me, with the splits at the bottom of the boots-zip tie and all. I really like the stock hard plastic one for the look. I don't know, mine has kind of a prerunner look with the lower back end-so who am I to judge:doh:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hey Sno, got a question what setting are you running? And is it a righty tighty kind of adjustment?
If you have the clicker knobs installed then yes it is righty tighty. As you can see in the pics. I am using the incab system, hence the air fitting and hose going to the shock.

I'm running on 6 front and 3 rear truck empty. If I'm towing or hauling I'll bump up the rears as required

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update to Rancho 9000XLs

OK, I used to run my shocks at 0 setting front and rear:doh: but I had looked at the new wireless Rancho controller which has settings like "highway", "offroad", "towing" etc. Well I noticed the basic empty highway setting by Rancho was 6 front and 3 rear and thought WTF? So anyways I've been using 6 and 3 for a couple weeks now and holy cow what a difference. My truck rides, tracks and steers like when it was new. No rattles. The new Ranchos (so far) are a very robust and solid feeling shock set at the secret factory settings. I'm extremely happy with the new ride quality of my truck. New shocks coupled with the sway bar bushings cost me about $375.00 shipped to the house, labor on me and I'm in love with my truck again.:woot::icon_ford:
A Kudos to Rancho also. I had buggered up one of my 90deg air fittings at the shock which made it leak so I called Rancho and they sent a new set of 4ea. 90deg. air fittings and o-rings for free. Those don't normally come with the shocks but rather the in cab unit which is 4 years old. I thought that was darn nice of them.:thumb:

snoboy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts