Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me what you guys think. Pulls air from the stock fender location as well as from behind the grill. It is mounted in place at the stock mounting locations. I used 1/8" vent line that I sliced to the top edge, the side edge that meets the inner fender and around each of the pipes. Mainly to keep from cutting myself working in the engine bay, but I didn't plan on the vent tubing actually quieting the intake noise down in the cab, but it did. I'm planning on wrapping the tubes with muffler wrap and also wrapping the box with heat mat, because I can. I figured it couldn't hurt. Inside of the box and any other exposed areas will be wrinkle black painted. Stock IAT sensor has been installed in the new air box. I'm thinking I might put the stock filter restriction gauge in the 4" pipe, again because I can.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and one more thing the CCV mod is next on my list since i have a couple of pieces of 4" pipe left over. I'll be making my own coupling without the CCV hole. Will probably have enough material for a couple of extra if anyone else is interested in one. Not much harder making three compared to one once I have the dimensions.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
no pics, you have to upload to photobucket or something else. copy and past the image code. you cant upload straight from your pc

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darn things didn't upload the first time!!!!:dunno:

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
522 Posts
That looks good, and will look even better once you paint it. So do you weld and do machine work? I was thinking of trying to do a DIY box like that, but I don't weld or do machining. Have you thought about making more of those boxes and piping? If so, I might be interested in buying one if it was a good price.:thumb:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I do just about everything. Love the DIY stuff the best. If I think I can build it I will try. The metal for the box came from a shelf from one of those rack shelving units I found laying around. the pipes I had bent from a local exhaust shop. I don't know if making one to sell would be cost effective, I really just wanted to build something different for myself. I have about 4 hours into it, granted making another one wouldn't take nearly as long now that I have the patterns. I will be making a CCV mod coupling and have enough 4" pipe to make 3 of them if your interested I could send you one of them. Just pay for the shipping which shouldn't be much.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Nice job engineering your own, I like the DIY stuff as well.....Fred

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
That is very nice design.

Since you are so good at design, how about building a pre-filter using more standard filter material in order to extend service life of the expensive main filter?
I would think a small box at the zoodad front opening would filter out a lot of dust first. This box would be easy and cheap to replace and hopefully would triple life expectancy of the main filter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
mas360

I thought about a pre filter for the front intake pipe but I didn't drill a hole in the plastic behind the grill yet. I looked at it and figured it wouldn't help that much in air flow and then I would worry about dirt and water having direct access into the air box. I do have a couple of 1/8" drain holes in the air box just in case. One of the reasons it's not painted and heat wrapped is because I want to make sure I don't need to do any mods. I hate getting it all done and painted and then having to make some kind of mod and messing up the paint or cutting the heat wrap. If I do see dirt in there I will put a 90* downward bend behind the grill and put 3" filter on the end. The downward bend will also keep the water from entering the pipe. Im still debating whether or not to put a velocity stack on the end to clean up the look on the end of the pipe. You can't see it but I know it's there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hank

I know what your going through with the up pipes. A trans rebuild less than a month ago is what started all this. Before that the truck was completely stock. I bought it back in 2000. Trans shop is the one that said the truck was down on power after having the trans rebuilt. I just thought it was slipping and I was losing power that way. Tranny guy said I was lucky the truck was down on power or I would have been towing it into the shop. Turns out passenger side up pipe was so bad after I removed the drivers side up pipe I just lifted the Y pipe off the passenger side up pipe. No wonder I was down on power!! Also the drivers side exhaust manifold was leaking at all 4 exhaust ports so I put manifold gaskets in. I rebuilt the oil cooler, new radiator and new overflow tank. The old radiator weighed about 5-6 lbs. more that the new one, I knocked a hole in the plastic in the bottom of the radiator and out came what looked like fish food flakes, there was my trouble running hot on hills . Then I put the Edge in and was hitting high EGTs so I put the MBRP on, then I figured now I need an intake. So that's where I am now. Next on the list is my own adjustable waste gate controller which I have already designed but I need machine a small manifold and then gutting the pedestal. I think I might redesign the controller to try to use all off the shelf parts so anyone could build one.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for your question of the hood profile, I just took some measurements, drew and cut the air box out of card board. Set it in place and closed the hood. Wherever the cardboard was bent I trimmed it off. Then transferred it to the sheet steel. I left it slightly oversized (knowing how accurate cardboard is) and trimmed it a couple of times until I liked the fit. The top edges of the box would leave lines in the sound/heat shield on the hood where it was hitting. If you close the hood easy you can see where it needs to be trimmed. A little trial fitting and trimming is all that is needed. If anyone is interested I could pull the box and template all the pieces.

·
Other vehicle is an F250
18,320 Posts
As for your question of the hood profile, I just took some measurements, drew and cut the air box out of card board. Set it in place and closed the hood. Wherever the cardboard was bent I trimmed it off. Then transferred it to the sheet steel. I left it slightly oversized (knowing how accurate cardboard is) and trimmed it a couple of times until I liked the fit. The top edges of the box would leave lines in the sound/heat shield on the hood where it was hitting. If you close the hood easy you can see where it needs to be trimmed. A little trial fitting and trimming is all that is needed. If anyone is interested I could pull the box and template all the pieces.
I would love to have a copy. Should be the same for my 2001? I can PayPal you postage and handling.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
1,891 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I would love to have a copy. Should be the same for my 2001? I can PayPal you postage and handling.
I would love to have a template as well.....:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts