Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
North of Vegas about 50 miles did a little wheeling through some washes, mainly rock, a published 20 mile jeep trail (not hardcore) made it 10 miles in when i damaged the tie rod, and stripped the steering gear! thank god i was able to turn around and limp her home. The steering wheel would turn to full lock either way and could only get a about 10% of normal wheel movement, a lot of 25 pt turns to get out, and then driving backroads with hazards on to get home!! was fun. The pics and video is when we had just started, its not hardcore but kinda cool. Let me know what you think. The video is in 2WD with rear locker, later in trail 4LO both lockers was required, will get more pics next time.

Youtube video of driving through a rocky wash, link below
‪Truck driving on rocks‬‏ - YouTube

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dude you have got one bad assss looking truck .

·
Registered
765 Posts
Your truck is beautiful. I love the bumpers and conversion!

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
road armor bumpers, thanks for positive comments!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Nice...Do you have any pics and or more details on the breakage? I wouldnt mind learning from it and upgrading before any breakage on my rig...

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice...Do you have any pics and or more details on the breakage? I wouldnt mind learning from it and upgrading before any breakage on my rig...
was going through a canyon with rock walls on both sides, going about 15 mph when the driver side front wheel caught a jagged edge sticking out of the rock wall, it instantly spun the steering wheel to full lock left, and jolted the truck to complete stop, HARD STOP!, it instantly sheered whatever is inside the steering gear box, backed up and made it about 1/2 mile before steering completely went out, could turn steering wheel stop to stop and only get front tires to move about an inch left or right, maybe like 10% of normal turning ability. Had to do 20 point turns to get down some of the switchbacks, made it home. This morning when I went out to work on her, i could spin the steering wheel all the way lock to lock with truck off, it is spinning the gear going into the steering gearbox, but noting is happening. Once i disconnected the drag link, then the pitman arm did move back and forth full travel as i turned the wheel, with any resistance it does not. Gears inside must be stripped. Will order hydro assist in the morning. Probably go with ORU kit, hydro assist and includes new steering gearbox for just under $2G. Expensive but quality. I will take longevity and quality at a price any day. Almost equaled a 10 mile hike out of the hills and a tow charge, got lucky this time. Truck still limped home. Ford Tough.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You have prolly the best looking truck I have seen. :thumb:

·
KING of BLING!
1,630 Posts
Looks awesome brother!!!

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Sorry you broke it, but looks like you had fun doing it! Truck looks wicked in action by the way!

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Hahaha, I did that with one of my trucks a long time ago. Was crossing a stream and caught the tire on a rock and it did the same thing. I could still get the wheels to turn pretty good but I had a good turn and a half of play to catch it from one side to the other. Makes for an interesting ride out of the boonies. I got it out to where I could get to it with a regular vehicle and went to town, bought a new steering gearbox, took it back and put it on. I was 150 miles from home. Off camber side mountain trails made it real interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was getting worse as I drove home, went out on sunday morning and could spin the wheel stop to stop (which i know now is 4 turns) and nothing happens, shaft spinning into the gearbox is turning, shaft coming out is not... its broke.... Ordered ORU hydro assist steering and with new gearbox this morning. Hopefully back on road in a week or so, now with hydro assist to prevent future incidents!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Definitely do a write up on the ORU install.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts