Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,646 Posts
I demand another PHP tune sale

please ;-)
Since I bought two from them today, they'll probably have a sale soon. You're welcome in advance.

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
I have not had a chance to try my heavy tow tune from PHP,but will shortly.I also have the ficm tune (economy)for bigger nozzles which seems to have smoothed my truck out.

·
Premium Member
4,375 Posts
OP, I run php heavy tow tune modified for 155s and the turbo. A tow tune does not wake a 6.0 up like a 7.3, I Remeber the same question and feeling. The 6.0 was already a hot motor so less to gain. Putting the slightest tune on a 7.3 was night and day. Php is by far the expert tuners, followed by DP tuner as for experiance. Then maybe IDP but I've never been impressed by their tunes or resume. The rest are experimental, meaning they just bought software and increased the timing button and Just make adjustments based on customer feedback (motors blown). Total joke enterprise, stick with php. I tow a flatbed with big off road car that combo weighs 19k and I consider that light. My full up camper hauler combo weighs 28k and that's pushing every limit of my truck but I've hauled the combo from AK to DC. I'm to lazy to switch tunes so I always just run the heavy tow. If I wanted to drag race I'd become Asian and buy a civic. But I don't drag race so the heavy tow works great. I tried to stack with atlas 40 and egts got too high. I switched back to Eco fcim tune. Still running great! I will buy an 18 f450 and be done with the 6.0, but that will be another year. I spent a lot of time and money bulletproofing my 6.0 and it has never let me down and always performed way passed the recommended limits. Go php tow tune, I'd be comfortable with 40hp with 19k combined

·
Registered
2 Posts
I demand another PHP tune sale

please ;-)
Since I bought two from them today, they'll probably have a sale soon. You're welcome in advance.
Well, you know.... Labor Day IS right around the corner. :grin: I'm sure something can be arranged.

·
Premium Member
11,646 Posts
LOL, that's just... just...

Oh well, no regrets. :banging:

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts
Ok... Crossing my fingers not to start any drama. :please: But a subject has been brought up that I wish was talked about more. I spend HOURS AND HOURS working with people going through tuning/build questions.

First of all. I LOVE FICM TUNING. I am a big fan... but I think it gets used wrong sometimes. I see FICM tuning as a "fine adjustment tool" rather than a big power adder. FICM tunes can and will change the way your SCT tunes work... especially stacking a race tune (with ICP fooled). I know Bill touched on this subject.

The BIGGEST issue I see is when someone has FICM tuning on their stock injectors and then jump up to a larger injectors and can't seem to get smoke/egts under control (and it is usually the turbos fault LOL JK). I love the "LARGER NOZZLE FILES" from PHP. It works wonders and is MANDATORY IMO if you are going to run FICM tuning with larger injectors. Idles better, cleaner bottom end, and the ability to adjust top end PW by just switching FICM tunes.

The other big problem I run into is when someone is already running SCT tunes with good luck, but want just a little more power. They decide to add a FICM to their truck. They usually just get the single tune with no ability to switch (without sending the FICM back or paying for the loaner tuner) Then suddenly they start having EGT issues. Struggle to tow, no extra power on their race tunes, just extra smoke and egts. (and it is usually the turbos fault LOL JK).

So... I see FICM tuning as more of a "fine tune adjustment screw" rather than a "power adder". I always recomend getting the FICM tuner so you have the ability to adjust. Also make sure to get larger nozzle files if you have bigger injectors.

Hope that helps someone.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Great topic, subscribed... I've been trying to understand the relationship of FICM tuning to the SCT canned or custom tunes so thanks @peixinho.

I still need to buy a tuner then get some custom tunes especially for towing so let's hope that sale comes back for Labor Day!

·
Registered
247 Posts
I need a sale on tunes!! I want to couple of more tunes from php do go with the ficm programer I just bought. 25hp towing tune for the new 5th wheel I just bought and 100hp daily driver should do the trick!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
PHP 65 tow tune + KC Turbos Stage 2 = amazing combo!

14 - 15k pound 5er toy hauler with truck at 8500 lbs. and a bunch of other crap in the tool box. Highway, WV mountains, windy twisty back roads, 90+ degree temps.

I was extremely pleased at how well she pulled. The PHP 65 tow tune with exhaust brake was perfect. ECT, EOT, and EGTs all stayed in check. Never had to back out of the throttle. Tons of towing power.

I posted this in another thread about going to a Stage 2 turbo and towing while using PHP tuning:

"There is a bit of a trade off of course. I would imagine with a Stage 1.5 you'll get quicker spool and won't have to keep the rpm's up as much. From my recent trip to West Virginia with our toy hauler, I loved the Stage 2 but you do have to keep the rpm's up. Some of those mountains down there (8% or better) I had her screaming at 3600 rpm but she kept pulling/accelerating. Highest EGTs I saw were in the 1100's.

From a stop, it takes her a couple seconds to get moving, rolls some coal, but once I hit 10# of boost, she gone! I turned on to a highway on ramp and was doing 65 mph before the end of the ramp. I had a smile a mile wide.

On the highway at 60 - 65 mph going up a hill/mountain, I'll lay into the throttle and she'll have to unlock the TC/come out of OD/ or downshift and I'll be at 2800 - 3200 rpm. Doing 70 mph going up a hill/mountain, I'll lay into the throttle and the boost comes up and she just pulls. Seems 20 psi was the sweet spot. If I could hit 20 without coming out of OD I was good (it would then climb to 28 - 30 psi boost). If I couldn't hit 20 psi, then she would have to come out of OD.

I had some newer trucks (6.7 Super Duties and Cummins) pulling 5ers and trailers that would pass me. Kind of got the whole ego/competition thing going, like their truck was better then mine. But I'm good with 70 mph max pulling that much (give or take a few mph here and there) and just kept doing my thing. But with all the mountains on I77 and I81 in Virginia, guess who I would end up catching up to and passing on the mountains?

My thoughts would be, if you are towing heavy often, go with a Stage 1.5. Occasional towing, and want the Stage 2 power when not towing, Stage 2.

* Fifth wheel toy hauler probably at ~14k +, KC Stage 2, 175/stock, PHP 65 tow, 4.10 gears, A/C on, outside air temp 90+ degrees."

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
PHP 65 tow tune + KC Turbos Stage 2 = amazing combo!

14 - 15k pound 5er toy hauler with truck at 8500 lbs. and a bunch of other crap in the tool box. Highway, WV mountains, windy twisty back roads, 90+ degree temps.

I was extremely pleased at how well she pulled. The PHP 65 tow tune with exhaust brake was perfect. ECT, EOT, and EGTs all stayed in check. Never had to back out of the throttle. Tons of towing power.

I posted this in another thread about going to a Stage 2 turbo and towing while using PHP tuning:

"There is a bit of a trade off of course. I would imagine with a Stage 1.5 you'll get quicker spool and won't have to keep the rpm's up as much. From my recent trip to West Virginia with our toy hauler, I loved the Stage 2 but you do have to keep the rpm's up. Some of those mountains down there (8% or better) I had her screaming at 3600 rpm but she kept pulling/accelerating. Highest EGTs I saw were in the 1100's.

From a stop, it takes her a couple seconds to get moving, rolls some coal, but once I hit 10# of boost, she gone! I turned on to a highway on ramp and was doing 65 mph before the end of the ramp. I had a smile a mile wide.

On the highway at 60 - 65 mph going up a hill/mountain, I'll lay into the throttle and she'll have to unlock the TC/come out of OD/ or downshift and I'll be at 2800 - 3200 rpm. Doing 70 mph going up a hill/mountain, I'll lay into the throttle and the boost comes up and she just pulls. Seems 20 psi was the sweet spot. If I could hit 20 without coming out of OD I was good (it would then climb to 28 - 30 psi boost). If I couldn't hit 20 psi, then she would have to come out of OD.

I had some newer trucks (6.7 Super Duties and Cummins) pulling 5ers and trailers that would pass me. Kind of got the whole ego/competition thing going, like their truck was better then mine. But I'm good with 70 mph max pulling that much (give or take a few mph here and there) and just kept doing my thing. But with all the mountains on I77 and I81 in Virginia, guess who I would end up catching up to and passing on the mountains?

My thoughts would be, if you are towing heavy often, go with a Stage 1.5. Occasional towing, and want the Stage 2 power when not towing, Stage 2.

* Fifth wheel toy hauler probably at ~14k +, KC Stage 2, 175/stock, PHP 65 tow, 4.10 gears, A/C on, outside air temp 90+ degrees."
Nice!! Did you go with the php65 tow tune right off the get go?

·
Registered
247 Posts
The KC1.5 has been a good turbo for me but I need to get OD turned off in tow/haul. I think that would be the ticket for a sweet tow tune with larger turbo. I cruise at 900 to 1100 when in OD towing in the hot summers here in Northern California.
How do you like the exhaust braking? Is hard on the turbo?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Nice!! Did you go with the php65 tow tune right off the get go?
Before the Stage 2 I used the canned SCT tow tunes, but only towed a few times. But yes, first time towing with the Stage 2 I went right for the PHP 65 after discussing it with Jay.

Nexus 6P with Android N via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
The KC1.5 has been a good turbo for me but I need to get OD turned off in tow/haul. I think that would be the ticket for a sweet tow tune with larger turbo. I cruise at 900 to 1100 when in OD towing in the hot summers here in Northern California.
I used the exhaust brake with the canned SCT tow tunes and I think it was more aggressive. The exhaust brake on the PHP 65 works very well without being overly aggressive and harsh IMO. It did the job on the steep mountains. That's the thing with PHP tunes, I trust Bill and Jay, that their tunes work very well and are safe.

·
Motor Head.
1,733 Posts
Before the Stage 2 I used the canned SCT tow tunes, but only towed a few times. But yes, first time towing with the Stage 2 I went right for the PHP 65 after discussing it with Jay.

I think my tow tune is 25 Hp,but looks like I could get away with a 65 hp tow tune,as we are right at the same towing weight.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've been wondering about the exhaust brake option with tow tunes. I'm towing under 10k & right now without any tunes it seems ok as far as braking is concerned, definitely a little low on power though. I planned on going with PHP but need to discuss it a little further to see if 65 hp is where I need to be with stock injectors & turbo, also whether I do the tow tune first then add the FICM tune after.

·
Premium Member
4,168 Posts

How heavy are you towing? There is nothing wrong with towing at 900-1100 degrees.

·
Registered
247 Posts

How heavy are you towing? There is nothing wrong with towing at 900-1100 degrees.
That is with about 7000-8000 but with the new 5th wheel I will be towing around 10000. Ya I am not worried about those temps but I just don't want it to get any higher for cruising temp. What do you think Charlie would you shutoff OD in tow haul or should I keep it in? Also I know this had been asked a lot lately but with ficm tune Econ or atlas 40? Sound like Econ is the way to go as far as egt management when towing.

41 - 60 of 246 Posts