Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

201 - 220 of 246 Posts

·
Administrator
29,344 Posts
Hamviper There are no "Bigger As far as cyl pressures
I have ARP studs and a leaky (not blown)
Head gasket.

I can load up a race tune. And be at 16psi in the cooling system at WOT in a block

Also, it seems the FICM tunes will elevate my degas psi so I tow without them for now

right now I am 7000 feet higher in altitude than normal. And have. 4000 lbs truck
Camper in the back. And made it up here and all the hills with minimal psi spikes. Using a PHP tow tune

Now the reason my HG's are likely compromised
Is because I towed hills in a race tune by complete oversight

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did either of these mechanics do the gasket and stud job? I've run the same tunes for the last 4 years and 50k miles on the original TTY bolts with no issues.
Yes, my mechanic did the original work on the heads. I don't believe my tune ruined the head gasket, but I don't have the knowledge to make a reasonable argument. Hoping to understand more from the 6.0 masters on here so I can have a more educated discussion on the topic. I don't feel like the mechanic is taking me for a ride here, he is working with me to put this thing back together and not blow again at a very reduced cost but I don't like the idea that I could be blowing head gaskets with ARP running such mild tunes. May keep me running much milder tunes fro the rest of the trucks life to stay out of the shop. I would sure like to get 100K between head gaskets!

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Yes, my mechanic did the original work on the heads. I don't believe my tune ruined the head gasket, but I don't have the knowledge to make a reasonable argument. Hoping to understand more from the 6.0 masters on here so I can have a more educated discussion on the topic. I don't feel like the mechanic is taking me for a ride here, he is working with me to put this thing back together and not blow again at a very reduced cost but I don't like the idea that I could be blowing head gaskets with ARP running such mild tunes. May keep me running much milder tunes fro the rest of the trucks life to stay out of the shop. I would sure like to get 100K between head gaskets!

Thanks,
Did your head gasket last a year

·
Registered
126 Posts
Did your head gasket last a year
About 11 months, no towing heavy (1800 lb boat), only ran tunes last 3 months. Put 6000 miles on truck in 12 months rest of the time in the shop.

·
Super Moderator
10,007 Posts
About 11 months, no towing heavy (1800 lb boat), only ran tunes last 3 months. Put 6000 miles on truck in 12 months rest of the time in the shop.
how many miles did you put on in those 3 months?

to me I'd find another mechanic that actually preps it right

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your mechanic should fix it, pay the extra for some oring ucf heads
That's exactly what is happening, I am covering a little labor but new o-ring heads, stronger head studs new gaskets etc.

As to the new mechanic, If I feel this one is incompetent that is exactly what I will do, but to this point I don't get that impression. I am hoping to learn enough about what the tunes do to have that discussion with him. Currently charging me 12 hours labor for head gasket replacement. Rest of the cost is parts I am buying to replace whats in there.

Thanks

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
The 200 tune burped my head gaskets, never hit full throttle. The 100 tune never shifted right on my truck (4 iterations). Now The SCT street tune burped the gaskets when I towed a jeep the other day. Returned it to stock, ordered new gaskets and studs. Bleh.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Are you running the canned tunes or the PHP tunes?
The 200 and 100 tunes are PHP. I tow in their 40 tune also. But for daily use I ran the SCT street tune because the shifting on the P HP 100 was so bad.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts
got it...

Its a real PIA to chase shift issues with the tuning unless its written custom for your truck.

·
Administrator
21,624 Posts
I agree to an extent, you just cannot beat a live tune.

But I want to be clear, that I would send anyone to PHP for tuning.
Bill and Jay are great at what they do, that said every truck is different and when there are issues that only happen with a tune its best to abort that tune.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
I would think that with a higher HP tune you would want revised shifting to handle the power? Firm and crisp shifts are easier on the transmission. Some like an earlier torque converter lockup as well. A tune can make your tow/haul a bit more aggressive or the modified shifting entirely so the tow/haul button to locks out OD entirely.

Either way, with a FICM tune I have to use the tow-haul switch on any long grade to control EGTs. Not so much with a mild PCM tune.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I can also attest to the awesome service of php tunes. I purchased their 100 hp, 140x and 40 hp tow tune. My tranny hates the 100 hp tune but have not had time to have it revised. I had them lock out od with tow/haul and add turbo braking to the tow tune. It pulled my 5er awesome and very happy with it. There tunes do seem to like at least a tank of fuel or almost 400 miles till tranny gets set in though. I do seem to get better fuel mileage if running empty highway with my extreme street from idp but it is negligible. As far as towing though I will stick to php compared to idp and gearhead, my truck just seems to like it better.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
I can also attest to the awesome service of php tunes. I purchased their 100 hp, 140x and 40 hp tow tune. My tranny hates the 100 hp tune but have not had time to have it revised. I had them lock out od with tow/haul and add turbo braking to the tow tune. It pulled my 5er awesome and very happy with it. There tunes do seem to like at least a tank of fuel or almost 400 miles till tranny gets set in though. I do seem to get better fuel mileage if running empty highway with my extreme street from idp but it is negligible. As far as towing though I will stick to php compared to idp and gearhead, my truck just seems to like it better.

What is the 100 tune doing to your trans? Mine will flare up, and when it does shift it'll buck, especially if I'm light on the throttle. I have to back out, and reapply pedal. The 200 and 40 tow do it slightly, but the 40 Tow is such a good tune in every other way. I'm looking for another 100ish daily tune, the SCT Street only gets me about 16 mpg. Was hoping for better.

·
Registered
458 Posts
What is the 100 tune doing to your trans? Mine will flare up, and when it does shift it'll buck, especially if I'm light on the throttle. I have to back out, and reapply pedal. The 200 and 40 tow do it slightly, but the 40 Tow is such a good tune in every other way. I'm looking for another 100ish daily tune, the SCT Street only gets me about 16 mpg. Was hoping for better.
Even after a few hundred miles, on the highway in rush hour while down shifting it seemed to coast in neutral before slamming into gear. If I drove hard or stood on it after spool up the power was amazing, not much smoke and shifted firm upshifting but I can't drive that way all the time, plus you eventually need to come to a stop or slow down haha. There was one time I stood on it till I hit 70, (local speed limit) lifted, it completely lost any gear, I tried shifting to 3rd, then neutral then back to drive with nothing engine just revved. Coasted to side of highway parked it, shut it off, re started it eased my way home loaded a different tune and never tried it again. Was amazed no lights came on and I really thought I lost my tranny. Mixed driving on my IDP extreme street I get 17 and highway only (Kansas City to St Louis) I am getting just over 18.4 hand calculated. That is empty and with atlas 40 and stock size tires. Like I said I haven't had them revise it yet will once I start working back home again. But the Tow tune is a beast and my truck pulls my 14,000 pound 5er with ease.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,721 Posts
I agree to an extent, you just cannot beat a live tune.

But I want to be clear, that I would send anyone to PHP for tuning.
Bill and Jay are great at what they do, that said every truck is different and when there are issues that only happen with a tune its best to abort that tune.
I agree with him on that.
I have three custom tunes that PHP did for me with a SCT X4 and I can tell you this my 65HP Tow tune is the best shifting program BY FAR. I have 38" tires and they stretched out my shifts spot on.
That is what I run 100% of the time. Its perfect and I really mean that.

I'm all for recommending PHP.

One more thing about them; I bought their FICM tuner and around a year later I wrecked the truck and the FICM was crushed into firewall. So there was no getting the tune back into the tuner. I sent them a email with a few pics of the truck and how I lost my FICM tune. Angela reset my tuner at no cost.
Those guys are on it.

201 - 220 of 246 Posts