Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 7.3 my favorite tunes were the PHP tunes. The smoothest power application, least smoke, and all of the tunes drove the same, just with different top end power levels. WHiler towing a pass or big hill, I could just dial back the tune to suit the hill so I didn;t have to drive by EGT. I could click it down to Daily or Tow, and hold it floored, and EGTs wouldn't get past 1200. I would always forget and be hitting 1300+ if I forgot to dial the tune back.

With my 6.0 now (stock except cat delete), I'm going to try PHP again. However, without being able to change tunes on the fly, I'm just going to have the PCM flashed.

For those running PHP tunes, what tunes have you found that are right at max EGT while pulling full throttle? I dont need race or anything, just a nice daily tune that doesn't put so much fuel down.

I'm thinking 20hp to be safe, but maybe 40hp tune. Any experiences? Thanks!

·
Administrator
29,507 Posts
that's a lot of weight for added fuel if your hitting hills

any tow tune I have can spike EGT's on hills so I have to back off. stock i am fine but lack the tune benefits like jake brake and egr off ETC

i am about ready to order from PHP
i was going to get a heavy Tow and medium tow plus a street tune

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does the mild tunes wake up the 6.0 like the 7.3? Even the mildest tunes wake up the pedal response on the 7.3, but I know the 6.0 is already 325 HP and has pretty great response already in comparison.

ZMANN, interesting you can hit high EGTs with tow tunes. On my old truck, PHP, TW, DP, and Powerstruck's tow tunes never broke 1200. The 6.0 must be more "on the edge" of power from the factory, huh?

·
Administrator
29,507 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was talking to them about the FICM tuning. I was planning on trying that later. I hear the 40 is a good FOCM tune, but I also hear that any of the FICM tunes tend to run higher EGTs. Be nice to have the 80 for daily driving though.

Does the "Econ" FICM tune run similar to stock? How long does it take to change FICM tunes?

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
With the camper and Jeep on a trailer, I weigh almost 19k combined.
19k total including the truck I'm assuming? Really not that heavy considering my loaded 5er is 14 - 15k and the truck is 8500+ pounds. There are guys pulling much more than that. I use PHPs 65 tow tune with my setup and EGTs max in the 1100's.

But you are stock so...

Nexus 6P with Android N via Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't say it was all that heavy. Or light. I just want the most fuel that'l allow me to get right against the EGT max.

Zmann, would you get a PCM tune first, or the FICM tune first? I deleted my EGR, but have no light on, so I'm not sure I need to turn off the EGR if the FICM will be more beneficial.

·
Administrator
29,507 Posts
probably do the PCM tuner and tunes first the FICM tuner is just gravy IMO and will let you fine tune quick for varied loads

but the base PCM tune can help with shifting / converter / braking just tell PHP you are planing to get a FICM tuner when you order your tunes

but like I said the FICM tuner seems to net everyone better MPG i am about 2-4 depending on what FICM level and tune I use

plus I idle a lot while on the phone so exact gains are hard to calculate

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Am I missing something? I didn't think PHP was doing custom SCT tunes anymore? I was gonna order some to compliment the PHP FICM tuner (a while back now) but then their website stated they were no longer offering it. I'm still rockin canned tunes

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Yes they are they even had a really good sale a while back and created a thread on here to mention it.

Reactions: michaelaiman

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
I love my PHP tunes for towing as well as performance and extreme settings.

For some weird reason, PHP tunes make my truck drive exactly the way I feel it should with plenty of power at my disposal :p
For some reason, I think you may be biased. >:)

·
Sinister Diesel Sucks!!!
2,498 Posts
Do the PHP tunes compliment the PHP FICM tunes in any way over any of the other tuners out there?

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
k
I love my PHP tunes for towing as well as performance and extreme settings.

For some weird reason, PHP tunes make my truck drive exactly the way I feel it should with plenty of power at my disposal :p

If you could only pick one tune to daily and tow with (I'm at 19k lbs combined), which tune would you recommend? Auto trans.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
k

If you could only pick one tune to daily and tow with (I'm at 19k lbs combined), which tune would you recommend? Auto trans.

Thanks!
My personal opinion, I would go with the 140x for daily and 25 tow when you are hooked to the trailer.

If you feel the 140 might be a little much for you, a lot of people really enjoy our 100 hp performance tune. It is a little more tame than the 140 while still giving you a good step up in power.

1 - 20 of 246 Posts