Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, happy to be new to the forum.

I have a 2001 F250 7.3 PSD with an automatic transmission, it's bone stock and I'm about to eclipse 200,000 miles. I love this truck, had it for years, and my father in law had it before me.

I just ordered the Napa 6637 mod kit, I'm looking at MBRP exhausts, chips, gauges, etc.

I don't haul anything and the truck is my daily driver. I put a lot of miles on for work and I want something to wake it up a little bit.

My question is, can I buy the chip without having gauges for EGT, transmission temp, and boost?

I plan to put in the gauges over the long haul and will surely put them in if I end up hauling anything but right now I just drive it around the state.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Gauges should be first. But honestly unless you are in a hot tune you wont hit anything temp wise. You have to do a 0-100 in a hot tune to get the temp where it shouldnt be. At least that's how my truck is. Also the tranny may get a little warm.

Again I suggest you get gauges first. Can you get away with it? Sure. Should you? No. A few hundred dollars now or big bucks later if you ruin something with the engine. Just something to think about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,789 Posts
I wouldn't put any tuner or chip on without gauges.

Reactions: Joe Marr

·
Registered
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke
82 Posts
thanks everyone.

I'll get the gauges first, I'm in no hurry and I don't want to mess anything up.

Any recommendations on a gauge kit?
I used the old school analog gauge kit from Autometer. Boost/EGT/Oil temp. I have links to them in my S&B intake video. There are many more modern/digital options but I liked these for the cost.

·
Premium Member
11,481 Posts
The edge insight monitor is maybe $100 more with the egt kit than the pillar pod gauges and offers WAY more uses....

Insight monitor can clear codes, allow diagnostics by monitoring other sensors like the ICP and IPR if you ever have issues, set maintenance reminders/trackers, and check/clear codes.

Personally its a much better bang for the buck and WAY EASIER to install but it does have a slight draw on the batteries so if you ever leave it parked for a few weeks unplug it. Since you are daily driving you have no worries. My thoughts if they are worth 2 cents.

·
Vendor
13,368 Posts
Pretty much what everyone else has mentioned. If you are not towing, gauges are not 100% needed, but at least an EGT gauge/probe is what I would recommend. The EDGE Insight CS2 or CTS2 is ideal like @JustinOOO9 mentioned considering what you get for your buck. I have everything on the shelf, and can pre-program the Hydra for you if you like.

https://cncfab.us/i-30498155-edge-p...r-1996-newer-obdii-enabled-vehicle-84030.html

https://cncfab.us/i-30497709-edge-p...r-1996-newer-obdii-enabled-vehicle-84130.html

https://cncfab.us/i-30497705-edge-p...ble-for-cs-cts-cs2-cts2-expandable-98620.html

https://cncfab.us/i-30498022-power-hungry-performance-7-3l-hydra-chip-php-hydra.html

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,854 Posts
On a stock transmission the tranny gauge is probably the most important, especially in the summer time and if you don't have a 6.0 or Mishimoto trans cooler.

I have a mishimoto trans cooler and it is a life saver for sure. Even if you keep the truck 100% stock it is worth the upgrade.

This is my gauge setup, you can do the same thing through an Android phone or tablet with an OBD2 blutooth adapter and the torque pro app for cheap.

Reactions: justinco

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The edge insight monitor is maybe $100 more with the egt kit than the pillar pod gauges and offers WAY more uses....

Insight monitor can clear codes, allow diagnostics by monitoring other sensors like the ICP and IPR if you ever have issues, set maintenance reminders/trackers, and check/clear codes.

Personally its a much better bang for the buck and WAY EASIER to install but it does have a slight draw on the batteries so if you ever leave it parked for a few weeks unplug it. Since you are daily driving you have no worries. My thoughts if they are worth 2 cents.
Does the monitor pick up the trans temp or would I need to do an add on for that too?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On a stock transmission the tranny gauge is probably the most important, especially in the summer time and if you don't have a 6.0 or Mishimoto trans cooler.

I have a mishimoto trans cooler and it is a life saver for sure. Even if you keep the truck 100% stock it is worth the upgrade.

This is my gauge setup, you can do the same thing through an Android phone or tablet with an OBD2 blutooth adapter and the torque pro app for cheap.

Wow, didn't know about this option. Does the OBD II put out a trans temp?

·
Premium Member
11,481 Posts
Does the monitor pick up the trans temp or would I need to do an add on for that too?

Thanks for your help.
If you have an early 1999 engine build date of 12/1998 or older its 50/50 shot. if you have a engine built after 12/1998 you can monitor trans temp and boost, oil temp, gear, speed (corrected speed for larger tires) but it does not re-program your speedo. it will simply display the corrected speedometer on the edge unit itself. I have been using the edge insight monitors since 2011 without any failures.

·
Vendor
13,368 Posts
You can monitor trans temp on all 94.5-03's. The Insight loads faster than an Android phone. I keep a bluetooth adapter for quick diagnostics, but stopped using it and have the Insight monitors instead. If you are solely going after cheap, then the Bluetooth will work just fine, but it can be quirky on loading, or some of the PID formulas can be off and give you incorrect readings.

·
Fire From the Clouds!
1,854 Posts
Mine loads very fast, maybe because I have a radio headunit with its own branded OBD2 dongle? When I open the torque app and go to the gauges screen it loads up within 5 seconds.

I have it set to oil temp, trans, boost, gear and clock.

The only thing that doesn't work with Torque for some reason is pulling codes. I have to use car gauge pro or an actual scanner to pull codes or do a buzz test.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Vendor
13,368 Posts
That might be why. I dont know why more stereo manufacturers, like the more common name brands like Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood, etc. have the Android OS for them that run well. I need a new stereo in my 7.3L in the worst way, but Im holding out for good quality unit. Seems all the brands I see are really weird off the wall brands.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts