Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to learn of some PROVEN performance "recipes" so I can mod my '99 E350 Superduty van right the first time

What works best on this generation of Powerstrokes?

I'd like to add as much HP/Torque as this platform can reasonably support.

What are some good setups in your experienced opinion?

·
back in the saddle
9,476 Posts
how wild do you want to go?

you could get reasonably serious with that one. it depends on how crazy you want to get. Do you plan on doing any tranny mods or just motor? A good start would be exhaust, intake, gauges, and then a programmer or chip. the 7.3's will take a beating you can upgrade turbo, injectors, etc... but if you get too crazy your tranny might not hold up. with just the program and the basic supporting mods I mentioned you should be in fine shape. All depends on what you want.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well for starters what kind of power should this be putting down stock? What kind of numbers should I expect to see with a basic intake/programmer/exhaust mod? and what is an example of a serious mod list and its prescribed results?
I haul around my tools and materials all the time, tow occasionally, tow REALLY heavy once in a blue moon, and in general I drive like a maniac... Power with respect to drivability/reliability is my top priority, although I'd like to be able to switch to an "economy" tune to attain better fuel mileage when desired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, just thought of something else... Since this is a 2-wheel deal I'm DEFINITELY goint to have to put some focus on the rear axle. ARB? OX locker? this will be a 10.25" Sterling rear end, right?
Also, SHU873, what are the typical tranny mods for these trucks?

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
Modest power and economy:
Intake, Exhaust, Programmer, Gauges (about $2000)

Little more Power:
Add Injectors and Turbo upgrades, tranny upgrades, and nitrous/meth/propane (add about $4000-10,000)

All out:
the above with custom tunes, headwork, cam, built internals, dual hpop, fuel system, etc! ($Sky is the limit...think about morgaging your house!):bluewink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, got the drift on the 2nd mortgage! LOL

I think I'm looking at a programmer, intake, turbo-back exhaust, injectors, water/meth injection, exhaust brake, torque converter, and likely an air or electric locker. Maybee a bigger turbo.
as for the programmer, I have found a few options... which is going to offer the most power gains, and most versatility for future mods?
What I'm really wanting to know is which brands/products compliment one another the best for my application?

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
Programmer wise, about any of the 6 pos chips are able to be set up for what ever you want. Some of the venders will do custom tunes for your application. You tell them what you have/are getting and they'll tune for that. Personnaly, I have a 6 Pos from Diesel Innovations b/c I have a good relationship with them. Other options are DP, TS, etc. For most of 'em, you can get a chip with standard tunes and then when you have your intake, exhaust, nitrous, etc, you can get your chip re-tuned for a minimal fee (about $100).

My mods are in my sig and I feel they work well together, though I'm eventually taking it my truck into the Moderate to Extreme ranges of tune to include, injectors, dual HPOP, nitrous, stacks, and maybe twin turbos....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know, I can't stop grinning at the thought of leaving so-called "sports cars" in a cloud of black smoke with my new WORK VAN:cool:

I'm a bit confused over the differences between tuners/programmers/modules/___ position chips etc...

I don't think I need any frills here, just results.

how do these compare to one another?

·
International Threat
13,087 Posts
You know, I can't stop grinning at the thought of leaving so-called "sports cars" in a cloud of black smoke with my new WORK VAN:cool:

I'm a bit confused over the differences between tuners/programmers/modules/___ position chips etc...

I don't think I need any frills here, just results.

how do these compare to one another?

Your van will be tough to get faster then sports cars simply because it's detuned from the factory, and it's heavy as hell. But you sure as heck can blow smoke on em :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

If you want smoke, increased fuel mileage and more power any of the generic chips like TS, ATS and Superchips will work. If you want more refined tuning I think twildman and DPTuner do a suberb job. As far as van tuning though I'm not 100% sure which is the best simply because I haven't looked into it since I've got a truck lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts