·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the PCM and where is it?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Almost 100% positive that the PCM stands for (Power Control Module) could be wrong though, but I do believe it is the computer for the truck. And I haven't got the slightest idea where to find it. But I'm sure one of the "know-it-all's" will be along shortly.

-BG06.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
it is under the emergency brake in the cab in a black plastic housing to the left very easy to spot

·
Registered
434 Posts
last night my truck's emergency brake light and abs light stayed on while i was driving, then after i shut it off it wouldn't start 10 mins later... i've had problems like this in the past. think it's my pcm? how much are these things??

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Almost 100% positive that the PCM stands for (Power Control Module) could be wrong though, but I do believe it is the computer for the truck. And I haven't got the slightest idea where to find it. But I'm sure one of the "know-it-all's" will be along shortly.

-BG06.
Right on! Powertrain Control Module. Same thing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
last night my truck's emergency brake light and abs light stayed on while i was driving, then after i shut it off it wouldn't start 10 mins later... i've had problems like this in the past. think it's my pcm? how much are these things??
I had one put in for about $1100 including the install/diagnostic put in my '01 7.3L. I know I was hosed but that was way before finding this site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very very rare if a PCM goes bad and if it goes bad it usually does not come back. Intermittent no starts are hard to pin point but I think you should look elsewhere. An IDM would be unlikely but more likely than a PCM. (IDM-injector driver modle-) Do you have the updated crank sensor? Does it only happen hot, or does it happen cold too? It could be a dozen different things. Has your check engine light come on. Does it die while driving? Need more info...:icon_ford:

·
Registered
214 Posts
like fabford said pcm rarly go bad check fuse for pcm i think it #20 there is arecall on cps on 97 just got my recall no start lite may be pcm fuse if blown check fuel bowl heat it can be unplug an replace to check that pull fuel filter out the wire brakes and shorts to the bow good luck man 97f350 4x4 crew

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I have a similar issue going on right now with my '01. Had to take it to Brattain International and they tore the entire wire harness apart to tell me that the PCM is bad because it isnt grounding the glow plug relay. Ive priced them out, they sell for around 350-400. They arent that hard to install, you will need to have it flashed at the dealer. My issue is only when truck is cold. If yours is acting weird when warm, its prob the injection control unit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts